× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 524x Temperatur often just over 70°C (160 F)

DocTeacher
Tutor

ReadyNas 524x Temperatur often just over 70°C (160 F)

My ReadyNas 524, which was purchased 4 days ago, regularly shows a CPU temperature of 70 ° C in normal operation (fan set to low). LED is green.
When I turn the fan to cool, the temperature drops, but the fan noise is too loud.
What should I do?

Many thanks for your help
N.Doc

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X Premium performance Business Data Storage
Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNas 524x Temperatur often just over 70°C (160 F)

That is very high for typical operation.  None of my NASes typically even peak that high, and they are in a room that can get over 80F (27C) in the summer.  CPU temperatures are notoriously inaccurate, but that does sound like something to worry about.

Is it in a location where it's input is suckling in it's own exhaust, like a closet?  Is there sufficient room in the back and top/sides for the exhaust (I recommend a foot in back and 6" top and sides if it's on a shelf with a back or against a wall)?

If the ambient temperature is comfortable and the NAS is out in the open, I'd say take it back.  Maybe the heat sink isn't attached right.

Message 2 of 5
DocTeacher
Tutor

Thank you for your response.
No - The ReadyNas stands on an office desk and is free in all directions. Room temperature is just under 20 °.
Even now, the NAS shows 71 °.

I'll probably give it back.
I hope I can use the encrypted hard drives without problems in the replacement device and quickly access the data again (use the device productive).

Have a good time
LG
DocTeacher
Message 3 of 5
DocTeacher
Tutor

OK - return initiated!

Hopefully it will not be complicated now:
2x 6TB Raid 1 / 1x 6 TB JBDO / 1 x 3 TB JBDO (all encrypted)

Can I just plug the hard drives into the replacement device - as I understand it, not (because formatting is done).

Is it a solution to copy the data to the new NAS device?
(but then I would have to buy extra new hard drives for this)

What does the secure solution look like?
Thanks again for your support

LG
DocTeacher
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@DocTeacher wrote:
Can I just plug the hard drives into the replacement device - as I understand it, not (because formatting is done).

You can just migrate the disks (preserving slot order) and of course move the encryption key.

BTW, it's unusual to post using "insert code"  It's better not to.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements