× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 6 Ultra 6 won't boot or reset after power outage

sebulbiusz
Aspirant

ReadyNas 6 Ultra 6 won't boot or reset after power outage

After power outage, because of UPS failure, my RNDU6000 (ReadyNAS OS V6.10) stuck on "ReadyNAS" prompt screen 😞 Won't boot, won't reset 😞

Model: RNDU6000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 6)|READYNAS ULTRA 6 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 6 Ultra 6 won't boot or reset after power outage

Do you see "no disks" status if you remove the disks (labeling them by slot)?

Do you have a backup of the data?

Message 2 of 9
sebulbiusz
Aspirant

Yes, after removing the disks, I have no disks status and the display says "Booting / Finding disk" then "Starting network". After a few moments, the NAS started up in SAFE MODE.  But I can't log into the NAS ... Unfortunately, I do not have a backup 😞

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Well, the issue is with the file system on the disks - since it isn't booting, that would include the OS partition.

I'd start by testing the disks by connecting them to a Windows PC (either with a USB adapter/dock or with SATA), and run the vendor diagnosics (Lifeguard for Western Digital; Seatools for Seagate).

After that, the options would either be

• to try using RAID recovery software (ReclaiMe is one package that supports BTRFS),
  • use a data recovery service
  • attempt to repair the file system yourself. 
Message 4 of 9
sebulbiusz
Aspirant

Thanks for ur help. How do I log into the system in Safe Mode? Can I just rebuild the RAID with data loss in this mode?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@sebulbiusz wrote:

Thanks for ur help. How do I log into the system in Safe Mode? Can I just rebuild the RAID with data loss in this mode?

Normally you'd boot into tech support mode, and access the linux command line with telnet.

You can't just "rebuild the RAID" - you'd need to repair the file system.  Risk of data loss is high, and you can easily do more damage when you attempt to repair it.  

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Getting stuck on the "ReadyNAS" screen when there is no hardware issue is not something I've seen before.  Normally, you'd at least see it booting and getting stuck.  The No Disks status with drives removed is a good sign that the hardware is fine, but it doesn't rule out a problem with the SATA subsystem.  If you have a spare drive, try installing just it and letting it create a volume.  Then, power down, move the drive to the next slot, and power up; repeating till you've successfully booted on every slot.  You won't have to create a new volume every time, BTW.  These steps will verify the SATA subsystem and the image in flash.  If it passes, testing each of the drives with vendor tools is also a good idea.  If one turns out to be bad, then just boot the NAS with the others.  If two or more have a problem, then you are in a data recovery situation that likely won't turn out well.

If all is well in those tests, then your OS partition may be damaged.  There is an image of it on every drive, and I frankly don't know if switching the order of the drives will switch which one it tries to use as the main one, but you could try switching the positions of drive 1 and another.  You could also try booting without drive 1, so it will have to use another drive to boot.  If it works, the volume will come up as degraded (non-redundant), but you'd have access to the files to make a backup and then try adding back the other drive.  Drive 1 will be out of sync with the others, so it will have to be re-formatted and a resync will have to occur.  Removing all partitions using a PC and then inserting the drive with power on will help keep the NAS from getting confused about that drive's status.

If none of that works, an OS re-install might help, but AFAIK, that won't work if the OS partition RAID or BTRFS file system are corrupt, whihc would start to be more likely based on the other test results.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I believe the NAS will normally boot from the first disk, so removing that one would be a useful test.

Message 8 of 9
sebulbiusz
Aspirant

Thanks to everyone for the hints. I did the test with a spare drive. The test passed ok. Unfortunately, OS partition was damaged... but I recovered most of my data from different places 🙂 Lucky me - the NAS still work.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements