× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 628X Restore USB back on Factory reset unit

computim
Luminary

ReadyNas 628X Restore USB back on Factory reset unit

In search of information on the restore process from the USB backup to the facory reset ReadyNas unit.  I've searched content and read about various porcesses and the information is a bit confusing to me.  I've read about doing folder copy, creating a backup that reverses the process but I cant restore the backup to the data directory. I need to create a share in order to restore the backup to which then is a new layer getting to the data.  All of this seems really odd with permission issues and such.  

I'm looking to take the back up of data (readynas backup to USB) and restore the USB backup data to the readynas.  Any assistance or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Tim

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@computim

Reversing the process of the backup data would be to create a new Backup Job on the Factory reset ReadyNAS. You will have to reverse the Source and Destination. Creating a share though I think is needed as the path is not accepting to use the root (/data).

ReadyNAS system attempts to maintain original file ownership whenever possible. So from the backup process you made, all permissions could have been preserved or left from the last configuration you made.

This link might help:

https://kb.netgear.com/21047/How-do-I-recover-backed-up-data-using-my-Duo-v2-or-NV-v2

Note: This article is using a Legacy NAS but the backup configuration is the same with OS 6

Regards

Message 2 of 5
computim
Luminary

@Marc_V  Thank you.  I'll give that a try and share the experience.

Message 3 of 5
computim
Luminary

@Marc_V  I've gone through that document as I've done in the past.  I get to the step where I selec the external USB (media/USB Drive) as the source (local) and the Readynas /storage (local) as the destination.  However, the storage highligths red?  I can select a sahre created on the storage volume but I am not able to retore the folder structure from the backup directly to the volume.

I took a full backup which created the folder structure from the Readynas how do I restore the original folder structure vs the generic created on new volume?  I would hate to restore to a share to have to move all the data individually back to the folder structure on the storage volume?

Thoughts?

Tim

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

ReadyNAS shares are not just directories, they are BTRFS subvolumes, so a backup job can't restore them.  Your NAS is not allowing you to try something that it can't do.  You have to restore shares one at a time.  Even if the shares were just standard directories, you'd need to set protocols and permissions that a backup job knows nothing about, even if you already re-created users and groups..

You need a configuration backup if you want to restore shares and permissions.  Unfortunately, there is no automated process to do that periodically.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements