× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas DUO Not Seen on Network

brooky
Aspirant

ReadyNas DUO Not Seen on Network

Hi Folks,

I got my ReadyNas Duotoday and put 2 x 2GB supported disks in it.

The instructions say that I need to give it a fixed IP address. basic stuff no problem.... BUT...

My router can't see it?! I plug it into the ethernet port and the light doesn't come on. Do I have a duff NAS?

The powerlight is solid, the aCT light flashes, 1 is solid and 2 flashes.

WHat the heck do I do? I'm pretty good with networks and stuff but I'm lost. I haven't installed the software from the CD as I have Lion... however.. what good is that anyway if its not seen on the network. It says in the manual that its not a required step.

HEEELP!
Message 1 of 9
brooky
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas DUO Not Seen on Network

*BUMP*

Can anyone help? Netgear haven't got back to me in a few days. 😞

Maybe I can update/reset the firmware?
Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are the disks brand new? Or have you used them?

What model 2TB disk did you purchase?

The latest RAIDar (client software for your Mac) which you should install is available here: http://www.readynas.com/downloads

Whilst not required, RAIDar is very useful, particularly with models that don't have an LCD (e.g. Duo)

The ReadyNAS needs to wipe the disks. Please try a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything): http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu

Then I would suggest you update to the beta firmware that supports Lion: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=55155

If your NAS did not come with RAIDiator 4.1.7 already please do another factory default after you've updated the firmware. This will give you a clean setup on that firmware and 4k sector alignment, which is necessary for some 2TB disks (or you will have poor write performance).

Welcome to the forum!
Message 3 of 9
brooky
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your help.

They are brand new disks never used.

"Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB Hard Drive SATAII 64MB Cache - OEM Caviar Green"

From what I can see these are supported. I literally opened the box, put the disks in and turned it on and it never showed on the network. Surely out of the box it should be seen as an attached device by the router? I did't want to install the RAIDar software until I saw it on the network as there seemed little point. Anyhow I did and of course it couldn't find the DUO.

I tried updating the OS to the latest version by holding the powerbutton for 20 seconds with a fash drive in the USB but it just turned off.

I just don't knwo what the heck to do. I'm pretty computer savvy and have setup linuc LAMP machines and stuff before.
Message 4 of 9
PapaBear1
Guide

RAIDar is very useful as it will search out and find any attached ReadyNAS. However, you indicated that you do not have the lights on the NIC. That is not a good sign. You could have a bad cable or a bad port either on the Duo or the router/switch to which it is attached. If you have power to the devices, you should have lights on the NIC. That should be solved first.

Did you connect it with the cable that came with the Duo? If so, can you try another? (Preferably one you already know is good). For example if your Mac is attached via ethernet, disconnect that cable from the router and attach it directly to the NAS. With power on both units (they don't have to be booted, just plugged in) there should be lights on both NICs (Mac and NAS). If not, then I would say that you have a bad NIC on the Duo.
Message 5 of 9
brooky
Aspirant

Thank so much for your response. 🙂

I have tried a good cable and different ports on the router and I have come to the conclusion that I have a faulty ReadyNAS. 😞 Booooo

I'll organise a return tomorrow. Thanks again!
Message 6 of 9
brooky
Aspirant

replacement unit came this morning. Instantly seen on network. 🙂

I clearly had a faulty one. Thanks for your help.
Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If it didn't come with 4.1.7 please update to that and do a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu) as your disks are 4k sector disks.
Message 8 of 9
brooky
Aspirant

It's on 4.1.6. Thanks I will do that now. 🙂
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements