× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Duo Network port issue

captjohnno
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo Network port issue

HI I have just moved house and therefore relocated my ReadyNAS Duo which is about 5 years old.

I've had one HDD failure in that time so have new drives.

At present it boots up but no network light at the port...no flashing or blinking lights.

If i replace it with a RN10200 or RN10400 will i be able to just install the disks and the data will be there?  Can't recalll what backup method i was using but i know one disk mirrors the other.

Thanks!
Johnno

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
captjohnno
Aspirant

It's official I'm an idiot.

Turned out to be that when we moved house I mixed up the power adapters from the Readynas and my Dlink router. The router was working with the Netgear adapter but as I thought there seemed to be a power issue with the readynas and that was because it was using a less powerful Dlink adapter. Not sure why it worked when I took it to my work office as I was still using the wrong adapter.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 21

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@captjohnno wrote:

If i replace it with a RN10200 or RN10400 will i be able to just install the disks and the data will be there? 

No.  It's a very different platform (the OS is different, and the data volume uses a different file system (BTRFS) and different RAID tools.

Can't recalll what backup method i was using but i know one disk mirrors the other. 

I am thinking you have a ReadyNAS Duo v1, though we should confirm that.  The labeling is confusing, so please check the guide here: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/  Then let us know the platform (v1 or v2).

If it is a v1, and uses the default XRAID the you can get the data back using a Windows PC and a USB adapter/enclosure. A freeware tool called linux reader can get the data.  From there you copy it to the PC.  http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

The two disks have the data mirrored, but are partitioned differently.  One disk is the "parity" disk - Linux Reader can read the OS from the disk but not the data volume.  Usually the parity disk is disk 2 (but not always).  So start with disk 1.

If you have a v2 platform (or were using flexraid) linux reader won't work.

Message 2 of 21
captjohnno
Aspirant

Thanks ive got the   Duo V1 and i think i used XRAID - i will follow your instructions thanks,.

ReadyNASRND2000  Duo v1

Message 3 of 21
captjohnno
Aspirant

Have bought a USB adapter/enclosure and linux reader software but cannot read the drive.

Therefore i assume it was Flexraid - any solution for that?

Can't believe an actual HDD hasn't failed yet i cannot get the data off it.

Message 4 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Linux Reader can't read it at all?  Or does it see the OS partition but not the data partition?

Message 5 of 21
captjohnno
Aspirant

Messages when i try and access the drives...

Screen078 14-Oct-15.jpgScreen077 14-Oct-15.jpg

Message 6 of 21
StephenB
Guru

The disks are different sizes.  Did you have two volumes, or only one?

Message 7 of 21
captjohnno
Aspirant

Can't recall to be honest but i know it was set-up to be mirrored or data duplicated on both drives so if one drive failed i had access to the other.

Message 8 of 21
StephenB
Guru

The linux reader approach only works with xraid, not with flexraid.

Message 9 of 21
captjohnno
Aspirant

So is there any other option to retrieve the data?  Do i need to try and source an old ReadyNas Duo? 

Message 10 of 21
StephenB
Guru

I am a bit puzzled, since Linux Reader should be able to read the OS partition even with flexraid.

There are more general instructions on reading disks on an x86 linux system here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306 You can use a linux boot disk if you have a Windows PC.

You can also look into data recovery services.  Netgear offers one, as does Seagate.  WDC doesn't offer their own recovery services, but they do have some partner links on their web site.  Perhaps try Netgear first.

If you can find another Duo or NV+, you should also be able to migrate the disks.  Generally you install a scratch disk first, and upgrade the firmware.  Then power down and insert your drives.  This only works if your drives have data integrity (and yours might not).

Message 11 of 21
captjohnno
Aspirant

I plugged in again and although the lights come on it just sounds like it's the PSU not firing up. Could that be easier to replace?
Message 12 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@captjohnno wrote:
I plugged in again and although the lights come on it just sounds like it's the PSU not firing up. Could that be easier to replace?

Replacing the Duo's power brick is easier than migrating to a new NAS, and the bricks aren't very expensive.  It might not work of course.

Message 13 of 21
captjohnno
Aspirant

Great how do i get one?

Message 14 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@captjohnno wrote:

Great how do i get one?

You can just google of course.

http://www.amazon.com/UpBright%C2%AE-Adapter-RND2150-100NAS-ReadyNAS-Switching/dp/B00EZDN1J0

http://www.amazon.com/Digipartspower-compatible-replacement-Adapter-ReadyNAS/dp/B00T0GSJZI/ref=pd_si...

Or contact support via support.netgear.com, and they can refer you to some suppliers.

Message 15 of 21
captjohnno
Aspirant

Sorry I meant the power supply unit in the NAS not the power adapter. I'll contact Netgear thanks.
Message 16 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@captjohnno wrote:
Sorry I meant the power supply unit in the NAS not the power adapter. I'll contact Netgear thanks.

AFAIK there isn't a PSU in the duo.  

Message 17 of 21
captjohnno
Aspirant

Managed to get it up and running at work not home - strange

Will test tonight at home again.  Some RAIDar screen shots.

.SH715 Oct. 22 11.14.jpgSH714 Oct. 22 11.13.jpg

Message 18 of 21
captjohnno
Aspirant

Unbelievably bought the device back home and now it doesnt work again...thought it may be a power board adapter so have tried it in a few outlets. Just spoke to Netgear support who helped with troubleshooting...as suspected it is most likely a hardware issue as no NIC light when i plug in an active cable.

Does anyone know where i can find a Netgear service centre because Support tell me there are no service centres they can recommend....so frustrating the data is there and i cannot get to it....long term just going to do backup via a removable UBS3 drive so much easier.

Message 19 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Is it just the NIC light that isn't on?

If so, try different cables and perhaps a different port on the router/switch.

It seems unlikely that this is NAS hardware, since everything works in your office.  

Message 20 of 21
captjohnno
Aspirant

It's official I'm an idiot.

Turned out to be that when we moved house I mixed up the power adapters from the Readynas and my Dlink router. The router was working with the Netgear adapter but as I thought there seemed to be a power issue with the readynas and that was because it was using a less powerful Dlink adapter. Not sure why it worked when I took it to my work office as I was still using the wrong adapter.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements