× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Duo RND2000 damaged by lightning

kjellfs
Tutor

ReadyNas Duo RND2000 damaged by lightning

During a bad thunderstorm passing our neighborhood recently my faithful old ReadyNAS Duo was fried by lighting and lost its connection to my local network. I assume that the failure is located to the internal connection board on the NAS as there are no indications of failure in the status lights on the cabinet. The NAS spins up as normal after reboot and both disks seem to be fine, but it can’t be located on my network by the the Raidar program on my PC.

To recover the files from the NAS can I simply put the disks into a similar NAS (I have the chance to buy a used ReadyNas Duo), or is there an easier way to recover the files from my damaged NAS Duo?.

Can anyone help on this?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Assuming the disks are not damaged...

-buying another duo is an option, the disks can be placed in the new unit (powered down) and it should boot with your data, etc.  If you have a scratch disk handy, it is a good idea to use the scratch disk first, and install the same firmware as you were running on the damaged NAS.

-If you were using xraid ,then the freeware program Linux Reader (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/) can read the data disk on a PC.  Usually the data disk is disk 1 (the one on the left). Though sometimes the parity and data disks end up reversed.

I'd try linux reader first, as newer NAS are quite a bit faster than the duo.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Assuming the disks are not damaged...

-buying another duo is an option, the disks can be placed in the new unit (powered down) and it should boot with your data, etc.  If you have a scratch disk handy, it is a good idea to use the scratch disk first, and install the same firmware as you were running on the damaged NAS.

-If you were using xraid ,then the freeware program Linux Reader (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/) can read the data disk on a PC.  Usually the data disk is disk 1 (the one on the left). Though sometimes the parity and data disks end up reversed.

I'd try linux reader first, as newer NAS are quite a bit faster than the duo.

Message 2 of 5
kjellfs
Tutor

Thank you for good advice. I will follow your suggestion and go with the Linux Reader first, it seems to be the easiest way (I wasn't aware of this program). As I am away from home I'll have to wait until next weekend before doing. 

Wish me luck!!Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I hope the disks are still ok.

Let us know how it goes.

The RN102, RN202, and RN312 would all good replacements for your duo.  As you might expect, the RN102 is the least capable/least expensive; the RN312 is the most capable/most expensive.

Message 4 of 5
kjellfs
Tutor

Hi there!

Your advice worked fine, StephenB. I managed to read and copy the data disk (WD20EARS 2TB) with the Linus Reader. Initially I installed the HDD in a USB cabinet with a dedicated power supply, but the USB 3 connection to a desktop PC was unable to read any data from the disk other than the name of the disk. Only after connecting the data disk directly to the same PC the files could successfully be read and copied to a backup disk. 

Thanks again for good advice.

Best

Kjell 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements