× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Duo V1 (Sparc) dead disk recovery

Lause67
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo V1 (Sparc) dead disk recovery

I've got a dead disk (1 TB Seagate) from my ReadyNas Duo V1 system, has been disk one, got more and more errors, went dead, couldn't start the NAS up, Frontview didn't couldn't recognize it, it wouldn't start up at all, got stuck in the boot process, when the fan is running max rpm.

Got the system up and running again with another disk, factory reset and new config. When putting the old, defective disk in, it clicks a few times, then sounds normal, but is not shown in Frontview or in explorer. Disk controll light is not lit.

Surfed through some threads here, read something about r-linux or r-studio, downloaded them, put the disk in a USB-tray, but can't find it with them, I read something about VM-Ware and virtual Linux machine, but it was unclear, wether the instructions were for V1 or V2 (as most are).

I suspect all these apps/programs can't read Sparc formattet disks. Any other way to acess and recover the data?

I'm new to NAS and I bought this old one, to get startet with it. I'm aware of the limitations of an old OS/filesystem, but won't spend the oney on a newer one, as long as I can't get the old one runiing. And hopefully be able to recover the data. My idea was just to use it as media storage for the network, not for essential backups, so i configured it as RAID-0 to be able to use both disks with all available space. Might have been a fault...

As for the moment, the data recovery is most important to me, once done that, I will look further in to upgrading to a arm og x86 system... Or even newer?

Setup right now: Windows 10 Pro laptop, Kaspersky Internet Security 2016, Netgear Nighthawk R7000, Netgear EXT6100.

Any help (for a dummy like me) is welcome

Message 1 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas Duo V1 (Sparc) dead disk recovery

Hi Lause67,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

You may want to try to clone the faulty disk 1 to a new drive.  I have not yet tried Disk Cloning however, it might help.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 14
Lause67
Aspirant

Thanks

If only I could, requires access to the drive and data, and I haven't got any. Anyhow, my major problem is, I don't know for sure if the drive is completely dead, or just unreadable for the ReadyNas and nok recognizable for Windows computer (with R-Linux or similar). The old Sparc filesystem/OS doesn't make it easyer.

If anyone could confirm, that I should be able to read the files in a Linux environment - if the drive is nok physically damaged, of course. And that's what I want to find out.

Connected to either ReadyNas or in a USB-case, it spins up, klicks some times (doesn't sound good, does it?), and nothing more happens.

Message 3 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

@Lause67 wrote:

Thanks

If only I could, requires access to the drive and data, and I haven't got any. Anyhow, my major problem is, I don't know for sure if the drive is completely dead, or just unreadable for the ReadyNas and nok recognizable for Windows computer (with R-Linux or similar). The old Sparc filesystem/OS doesn't make it easyer.

If anyone could confirm, that I should be able to read the files in a Linux environment - if the drive is nok physically damaged, of course. And that's what I want to find out.

Connected to either ReadyNas or in a USB-case, it spins up, klicks some times (doesn't sound good, does it?), and nothing more happens.

If you cannot even access it at the lowest level with the manufacterer's drive tool (e.g Seatools) when it's installed in the USB case, no OS is going to be able to do anything with it.

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

If you were running raid-1 (or xraid) you could try booting with only disk 2 installed.

Linux reader will read a healthy data disk in a duo v1 ( http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ )  However, your drive isn't healthy, and might not be readable at all.

I suspect cloning won't be possible either, but it is perhaps worth a try.  You'd need a cloning program that does sector-by-sector copying.

Message 5 of 14
Lause67
Aspirant

I've been googleing Seatools (found Seagate USB External drive diagnostics) and it says: "Be sure the drive is connected directly to the computer using a USB port, not using a docking station or hub" - does this mean, I have to connect the drive directly via SATA to USB cable, rather than putting it in a housing for external drives and connect this to USB?

Message 6 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

No, it means not to use a USB hub.  But I think that's manly for drives that are powered by the USB where the hub may be overtaxed.  A USB housing or docking station with a separate power supply and connected directly to the computer USB port will work fine for all but a couple of the advanced tests.  You do want "Seatools", not something specific for Seagate-branded USB drives only.

Message 7 of 14
Lause67
Aspirant

Didn't work, so I have to assume the drive is dead. Only way is data recovery service, i guess...

But thanks for your help. And now I have to decide if I want to keep the V1 or browse for a newer one. I don't have any commercial use for it, so it doesn't have to be the newest one, a used, cheap one will do it - it just should be a little easyer to handle with newer software and services than the V1. Any suggestions?

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

The equivalent NAS in the current lineup is the RN102.  It does the same things your v1 duo does, but with higher performance.  

But prices have dropped since you purchased the v1, so if you look at the current street prices you'll probably find that the RN212 (and maybe even the RN312) sell for about the same amount as you paid for the v1.

The main reasons to consider the higher end models:

(a) Apps (and some services like antivirus) run much better on the higher end devices. 

(b) If you care about streaming media (particularly over the internet to your mobile device) then the higher end NAS are much better options.  Both support on-the-fly media transcoding, so they can adapt the data rate to fit your connection speed.  The RN212 is actually a bit more powerful than the RN312 for this - it is spec'd to transcode 1080p video in real-time.

(c) Netgear has begun enforcing its software support policies more strictly.  The RN300 and above have free lifetime email/chat software support.  The RN100 and RN200 series only have 90 day installation support - any other software support will be charged for.

Message 9 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Lause67,

You may want to check these ReadyNAS OS 6 data sheets below for comparison:

ReadyNAS® 100 Series Network Attached Storage (NAS)

ReadyNAS® 200 Series Network Attached Storage (NAS)

ReadyNAS 300/500/700 Series Network Attached Storage (NAS)

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

If you do buy something newer, uo may want to consider the V1 as a backup.  I started with an Infrant NV and slowly moved up with mostly used replacements.  The NV's served as backups for quitre a while before I upgraded the backups as well.  I wouldn't want to stream 1080p content off an NV+ (I tried, it didn't work well) or Duo V1, but they are fine for backups done in the dead of night when speed isn't a factor. 

Having had a NAS somehow lose the entire data volume, probably recoverable with paid support, I was glad to have that backup and not have to pay for the support.  That backup paid for itself that day.

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

If you do buy something newer, uo may want to consider the V1 as a backup. 

I do that also.  Note you can rebuild it as jbod (2x2 TB volumes) to max the capacity.

Message 12 of 14
Lause
Aspirant

Seems like I need a new (used) one, just now, I've got an email from the NAS (again): 

Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.

Disk  1:

Previous count: 221

Current count: 224

Two days ago I got one claiming the count went from 220 to 221. 

Could it be the NAS itself, ripping my disks apart? This is exactly the same way , it started the last time. How? Why? Anything to do or just toss it in the bin?

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Lause wrote:

Disk  1:

Previous count: 221

Current count: 224

Two days ago I got one claiming the count went from 220 to 221. 

Could it be the NAS itself, ripping my disks apart? This is exactly the same way , it started the last time. How? Why? Anything to do or just toss it in the bin?

The disk itself is providing these error counts, and I know of no software mechanism where the PC (NAS or otherwise) can create bad sectors on a disk drive.  Hardware issues (out of spec power, out of range temps, excessive vibration) could result in disk failure, but it seems to me that if that were the case you would know it.

What disk model are you using?  Was the replacement Seagate a new just-purchased drive or used?  Can you test the drive in a windows PC with seatools?

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements