× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Duo V1 not booting (no drive led)

StuM69
Follower

ReadyNas Duo V1 not booting (no drive led)

Hi,

Im having real trouble booting my ReadyNas Duo V1 (I beleive its a V1 even though the stiocker on the bottom says V2 !).  Its been in storage for about 6 months, and was working when I 'put it away'.

Having come back to it to access my data once more, it does the following;

Switch on

Blue Power light flashes for approx 5 seconds

Then repeatedly the Green Act light flashes, then the Blue Power light, and thats the sequence that repeats for hours with no resolution.

The Drive LED lights never come on or flash at any time.  Two drives installed in RAID.

The NAS although showing a network light on the back does not connect to the network, therefore raidar doesnt connect.

I can only power it down in this state by pulling the power cable also!

What Ive tried so far is an OS reset by powering on whilst the reset button at the back is held down.  After approx 7-10 seconds the drive lights both come on and do not go off untill I let go of the reset button (I thought they were supposed to flash).  Ive left this for about 2 seconds before I let go (to make sure?).

Ive left the unit on overnight in the status as detailed above (blue light green light continuous sequence) with no change.

Im at a bit of a loss, so any help really appreciated as I would like to get the data off the drive if I can.

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Duo V1 not booting (no drive led)

@StuM69 wrote:

I would like to get the data off the drive if I can.

Assuming you are using the default XRAID setup... Try installing R-Linux for Windows on a PC, and connecting disk 1 of the duo to the PC (USB is fine).

https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/

@StuM69 wrote:

What Ive tried so far is an OS reset by powering on whilst the reset button at the back is held down.  After approx 7-10 seconds the drive lights both come on and do not go off untill I let go of the reset button (I thought they were supposed to flash).  Ive left this for about 2 seconds before I let go (to make sure?).

Be careful here.  A factory reset (also called factory default) reformats the disks and destroys your data.  An OS reinstall won't do that. It will reset the NAS to use DHCP and reset the admin password to the default value. The Duo v1 default password is netgear1, for the Duo v2 it is password.

@StuM69 wrote:

(I believe its a V1 even though the sticker on the bottom says V2 !)

A Duo v1

• Says Duo on the front panel
  • Often has a sticker saying v2
  • runs 4.1.x firmware

A Duo v2

• Says Duo v2 on the front panel
  • runs 5.x firmware

The hardware manual has the instructions for the boot menu.  The v1 instructions are on pages 15-16 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

@StuM69 wrote:

Switch on

Blue Power light flashes for approx 5 seconds

Then repeatedly the Green Act light flashes, then the Blue Power light, and thats the sequence that repeats for hours with no resolution.

The Drive LED lights never come on or flash at any time.  Two drives installed in RAID.

Here's a decoder ring for the Duo leds:

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 - Vendor mismatch
2 - No disks detected
3 - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 - Flash error
5 - Unsupported RAID configuration

This doesn't fit your pattern though (since your disk lights aren't coming on). Try downloading RAIDar, and tell us what status it gives you. Either 4.3.38 or 6.4 will work for this. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements