× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Duo cannot select PC folder to backup, gives "error connecting to..."

cboudet
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo cannot select PC folder to backup, gives "error connecting to..."

Hi, I am trying to configure my ReadyNAS model RND2000 ver 1 with firmware 4.1.6 to backup some folders in my PC's running windows 7 pro.

I was able to do it on one PC but the second PC must have a different configuration that does not let the Backup section in the Nas select the shared folder on the PC as the source to back up.

I have only a little experience with network security, and obviously not enough to solve this problem.

I wanted to pay Netgear for a support session and they refused because I bought the NAS from an online vendor( not authorized).

I am attaching a screen shot.

Any suggestions that may help me configure the backup will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

CB

Model: RND2000v1 (ReadyNAS Duo v1)|READYNAS DUO v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNas Duo cannot select PC folder to backup, gives "error connecting to..."

@cboudet wrote:

I am using the admin account without a password, as the computer has no password to log in.

That could be the problem.  I know Win10 won't allow you to access files or remotely connect with an account without a password, even using an account without one.  I just don't recall if Win7 has that limitation.  Maybe try creating an account with a password and see if that login works for "everyone" files.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
cboudet
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas Duo cannot select PC folder to backup, gives "error connecting to..."

I wanted to add some information.

After reading all suggested posts, I am going to try to set up a backup with the format recommended in the help, and run it even though it gives the "error connecting to..." message.

If it works, it means the backup part of the software is faulty and should have been fixed by Netgear.

I'll post again after the backup runs.

Thanks

Message 2 of 15
cboudet
Aspirant

Received notification that backup failed,

will keep searching for a solution.

Message 3 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

If the second PC is running Windows 10, you probably need to turn on SMB1.  It's off by default in Win10, but not Win7, and would only be on if you had another reason to enable it.  Your older NAS does not support more recent versions of SMB.

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

You said 4.1.6 firmware in your earlier post.  Did you mean that, or did you mean 4.1.16?

Also, did you try using the IP address instead of the PC name?  That often works more reliably.

You should check the sharing permissions of the PC's DATA share, and also check the file/folder permissions on /data/Images

One thing you could easily do is use something like FreeFileSync on the PC instead of using the NAS backup job.  Then FreeFileSync would do the backup (using the NAS share as its destination).  If the PC is a laptop, then one benefit of running the backup on the PC is that you don't need any network shares on the PC.  That eliminates the chance of inadvertent sharing when you are using a wifi hotspot or hotel network.

Message 5 of 15
cboudet
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

If the second PC is running Windows 10, you probably need to turn on SMB1.  It's off by default in Win10, but not Win7, and would only be on if you had another reason to enable it.  Your older NAS does not support more recent versions of SMB.

It is a windows 7 Pro PC and I cannot find SMB1 anywhere on it

Thanks

Message 6 of 15
cboudet
Aspirant

StephenB

@StephenB wrote:

You said 4.1.6 firmware in your earlier post.  Did you mean that, or did you mean 4.1.16?

Also, did you try using the IP address instead of the PC name?  That often works more reliably.

You should check the sharing permissions of the PC's DATA share, and also check the file/folder permissions on /data/Images

One thing you could easily do is use something like FreeFileSync on the PC instead of using the NAS backup job.  Then FreeFileSync would do the backup (using the NAS share as its destination).  If the PC is a laptop, then one benefit of running the backup on the PC is that you don't need any network shares on the PC.  That eliminates the chance of inadvertent sharing when you are using a wifi hotspot or hotel network.

Sorry, you are correct, it is 4.1.16

The folders are shared in the PC with permissions to read/write for everyone.

I have PC's not laptops, and I am trying not to use additional software.

Thanks

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@cboudet wrote:

Can you access the folder from another PC?  Use the backslash as the separator when you try that.

Again, there are two sets of permissions and both need to be set to allow access.  One is the share permissions (for data in your case).  The second is the folder and file permissions for data\images and all subfolders/files.  Both need to allow read/write.

But start by using the IP address instead of the PC name. Also check that the PC hasn't classified the network as public.

@cboudet wrote:

It's enabled by default in Windows 7.  But it's not enabled in Windows 10.

Message 8 of 15
cboudet
Aspirant

I have another piece of information that may help determine the problem.

I have been able to successfuly complete two backup jobs.

The only thing they have in common is that they are folders in the "users/public" folder.

The other folders seem to be not accessible to the NAS, even though I have shared them with permissions for public access (everyone).

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can make sense of this. I can't.

Thanks

Message 9 of 15
cboudet
Aspirant

I have access to the files from other computers on the network, just the NAS is the stubborn one that cannot access them.

The PC classifies the network as work.

The ip address in the host address still gives the error.

Thanks

@StephenB wrote:

@cboudet wrote:

Can you access the folder from another PC?  Use the backslash as the separator when you try that.

Again, there are two sets of permissions and both need to be set to allow access.  One is the share permissions (for data in your case).  The second is the folder and file permissions for data\images and all subfolders/files.  Both need to allow read/write.

But start by using the IP address instead of the PC name. Also check that the PC hasn't classified the network as public.

@cboudet wrote:

It's enabled by default in Windows 7.  But it's not enabled in Windows 10.

Message 10 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Windows "everyone" access isn't the same as "public".  The user still needs to use a valid login for the computer (which may be managed via Active Directory).  Are you specifying a valid account on the PC as the credentials the NAS uses for the backup job?  On Win7, that user name could be "Guest", but I don't remember if a password has to be assigned.  Been too long since I used Win7.

Message 11 of 15
cboudet
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

Windows "everyone" access isn't the same as "public".  The user still needs to use a valid login for the computer (which may be managed via Active Directory).  Are you specifying a valid account on the PC as the credentials the NAS uses for the backup job?  On Win7, that user name could be "Guest", but I don't remember if a password has to be assigned.  Been too long since I used Win7.

Thanks Sandshark,

I am using the admin account without a password, as the computer has no password to log in.

I right-click the folder and left-click "share with", it gives three options, admin, guest, and everyone, then I set the permissions to read/write.

Thanks

Message 12 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

@cboudet wrote:

That could be the problem.  I know Win10 won't allow you to access files or remotely connect with an account without a password, even using an account without one.  I just don't recall if Win7 has that limitation.  Maybe try creating an account with a password and see if that login works for "everyone" files.

Message 13 of 15
cboudet
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

@cboudet wrote:

You hit the nail on the head there!

I do not know if it is windows 7 or the nas (I think it's the nas) that requires the password.

I created a new user with admin privileges(don't know if admin priviledges are needed) and gave it a password.

Then I created a backup from a shared folder in the desktop and used the username and password and it connected to the folder without an error message.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and helping me.

And thanks to all others that helped also.

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@cboudet wrote:

I do not know if it is windows 7 or the nas (I think it's the nas) that requires the password.

It's Windows.  The NAS presents whatever credentials you specify to the PC, and the PC decides if it will accept them or not.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements