× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Duo losing access to shares

carlovn66
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo losing access to shares

I have a problem where I am losing access on my computers to my shares on the ReadyNas Duo. After a NAS reboot, the shares are accessible for a while, but after some time becomes inaccessible with a "permission" error.

Also, when this happens, I can still access the FrontView admin pages from my computer and I can view all options, but I am unable to make any changes. Or rather, I can make the changes (like create a new backup job), but nothing gets saved when clicking the apply button.

My main concern is how I can retrieve the data stored on the drives (my pictures and videos). After the most recent reboot, I tried copying the data to my computer, when the shares was accessible, but the copy process terminated after a while and then I was no longer able to access the shares.

Can this be fixed and if not, how can I retrieve my data?

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

It sounds like a filling OS partition.  Support can fix that easily, though they will charge.

You can try deleting all logs (system and backup) and see if that helps.  Don't try to download them.

Do you have SSH enabled?  Do you use ReadyDLNA?

If you use xraid (and are running 4.1.x firmware), data can be retrieved with Linux Reader (a windows PC program): http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

If you have redundancy, one disk is the data disk, the other is the parity disk.  Linux Reader needs the data disk attached to the PC (USB adapter or directly with SATA). Usually that is disk 1 (leftmost).

Message 2 of 6
carlovn66
Aspirant

Thanks for your response Stephen.

I did clear all the logs. 

No, I don't have SSH enabled and I am not using ReadyDLNA. But I went searching for the SSH option, which I could not find. But I did find the FTP option and was able to start the FTP service. Now I am in the process of downloading all my data to an external drive and that seems to be working for now.

Where can I find the SSH option and can I use that to SSH to the NAS server or would that only give me access to the shares?

Unfortunately, I am running the NAS in Raid 0 (or is that 1) configuration where the one drive is a mirror of the other. I wanted the redundancy. Was that a bad choice? What would you recommend?

Presuming that I have all the data that I care about on my external drive, how do I go about fixing my system? Will a factory reset do it, or is it more complicated than that?

Again, thanks for your help. Much appreciated!!

Message 3 of 6
sotrack
Luminary

SSH add-on for Sparc based DUO:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24546

SSH add-on for ARM based DUO: 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24586

login:

root/password_from_admin_user

Message 4 of 6
carlovn66
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.

Message 5 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi carlovn66,

Once you've finished backing up everything, factory reset the unit and use RAID 1 for redundancy (mirror). 

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements