× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Duo v1 Fan Problems

Footleg
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo v1 Fan Problems

Hi All,

Powered up my ReadyNas Duo V2 (think actually a V1) after it had been shut down for a couple of months whilst we moved house.

When I booted it up, it told me the fan had failed and showed 0 RPM.  However, the fan was screaming away!  I tried to reboot, same deal, hit the recalibrate button which didn't do much, then rebooted again, now the fan appears totally absent - when I look in the Health screen, it doesn't have a fan at all and on the status bar at the bottom, no light either.  Very odd.

The firmware is on the latest RAIDiator 4.1.15 [1.00a043] and have tried to re-install the firmware - still the same.

I even have an old Duo (broken NIC interface) and tried connecting the fan from that... Again, no difference.

Don't really feel like doing a factory reset on it, any other ideas..?

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Footleg
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas Duo v1 Fan Problems

..scratch that, tried another recalibrate (seeing as the button is back!) and finally it has wound itself back to a much more acceptable and quiet 950rpm.

Now it can stay in service for a while longer!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Footleg wrote:

Powered up my ReadyNas Duo V2 (think actually a V1) after it had been shut down for a couple of months whilst we moved house.

The firmware is on the latest RAIDiator 4.1.15 [1.00a043]...

Definitely a v1

@Footleg wrote:

Don't really feel like doing a factory reset on it, any other ideas..?

You've ruled out the fan, but not the fan sensor hardware.  That sounds more likely to me than a software issue.

If you have a spare disk (any size <= 2 TB) you could power down, remove the current disk(s) and do a factory reset with only the spare.   Label the disks by slot as you remove them.  If the problem happens with the spare, then you've confirmed that it's hardware.

Could be time for a new NAS.  The RN102 is faster than the duo, though I think the RN212 is a better choice for most.

Message 2 of 5
Footleg
Aspirant

...thanks Stephen - yeah, was thinking that should be my next move too.

Considering a move away to something else if this is for retirement...

Will update the post with results when I find a disk I feel happy to trash...
Message 3 of 5
Footleg
Aspirant

...well, I popped an old disk in and factory reset it - all seemed well.  Fan icon was back, it had slowed itself to around ~1600rpm.  So I conclude that the hardware is fine.

So, I put the regular disks back, and surprisingly, the fan icons and status was back and showing green.  BUT, it's racing up at ~5500 and refusing to slow down.  I tried the add-on and that hasn't forced it down either.

Not thrilled by the prospect of defaulting it on these disks and restoring the data from the back up - I don't fully trust it.

Any ideas how I can fix it directly at the Linux level perhaps?

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
Footleg
Aspirant

..scratch that, tried another recalibrate (seeing as the button is back!) and finally it has wound itself back to a much more acceptable and quiet 950rpm.

Now it can stay in service for a while longer!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements