× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Duo v2 - Windows 7 Doesn't See It

rozel
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo v2 - Windows 7 Doesn't See It

Hi

Since changing my router I can no longer see my ReadyNas on my Network.  RAIDar sees it on the old IP address - 192.168.1.74 but when I click Setup or Browse the webpage that pops up doesn't load.  Pressing Locate similarly doesn't result in the disk lights flashing.

How can I reset the IP address?  Do I have to establish what my Router is seeing it as first then assign a fixed IP address for it?  Will a rescan in RAIDar then see it as the new one?

My Router is a Sky Router and looking at the attached devices, it is unclear which "UNKNOWN" device is the ReadyNas - there are 2 devices showing up as unknown and I'm frightened to fiddle until I'm certain I know what I'm doing. 

My Router it seems assigns IP adresses on a different Subnet - 192.168.0.XX  (or at least I think that's what you term it 🙂 )  but I don't know why RAIDar still finds it on the old IP address - this is where I'm stuck.  I've tried inserting the unknown IP addresses in my router into a web browser but nothing opens. 

Can someone help me please, it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@rozel wrote:

I think I know the UNKNOWN IP address in my router (I believe this is the Duo's) - it is 192.168.0.7 

First try confirming this by entering https://192.168.0.7/admin in your browser, and see if that gets you into the duo's dashboard.

@rozel wrote:

Yes my Duo is definately v2 and had thought I did a Firmware reinstall earlier this morning  but not sure I followed the right procedure.  Can you point me to or tell me what the exact procedure is please - definately a v2 Duo, running 5.3.5 soft. 

If your duo has a static 192.168.1.x address, then the simplest solution is to change your router to use 192.168.1.x also.

I didn't want to post the boot menu procedure until the model was confirmed.  It's described on pages 16-17 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_23-Mar-12.pdf

@rozel wrote:

I understand about doing a Factory reset - that's a complete no no as I've thousands of music tracks on it, which I don't want to lose.

RAID isn't enough to keep your music safe.  You need a backup on a different device for that.  So I do recommend getting a USB drive or some other storage, and putting a backup plan in place for your NAS.

While I agree with @bedlam1 that you should update your firmware, I wouldn't do that until after you have a backup.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

RAIDar uses a broadcast protocol that can find the NAS no matter what IP address it uses.  But accessing the NAS using your browser or file explorer requires an address that is in the range of your new router.

There are three ways to proceed

• Change your router configuration to use 192.168.1.x addresses
  • directly connect the NAS to a PC, and set the PC to temporarly use IP address 192.168.1.100.  Then browse to the NAS and reset the IP configuration to automatic/DHCP
  • do a factory reinstall on the NAS via the boot menu, which will reset the NAS to use DHCP and reset the admin password to the default value

Many NAS v1 owners mistakenly believe they have a v2 - so please do confirm the version.  A v2 says "duo v2" on the front panel and runs 5.3.x firmware.  A v1 runs 4.1.x firmware and might say "v2" on the rear chassis label. The boot menus are somewhat different, so it is important to confirm the version before you attempt a factory reinstall. 

Once you regain access, I recommend using DHCP in the NAS, and reserving an IP address for in the router.  Most routers have this feature - sometimes called "address reservation", sometimes called "arp reservation", "arp binding" or "mac address reservation".

Message 2 of 8
bedlam1
Prodigy

Please be aware if you use 3 above you need an OS Install, not a factory install as you will lose all your data.

To be honest 1 or 2 above should solve your issue

Message 3 of 8
rozel
Aspirant

Brilliant help and advice, thank you and for the speedy response.

I think I know the UNKNOWN IP address in my router (I believe this is the Duo's) - it is 192.168.0.7 - my media player doesn't see it either  but in the player's configuration I mistakingly tried to reset it to the old 192.168.1.74 one but I had no joy, for obvious reasons now.

Yes my Duo is definately v2 and had thought I did a Firmware reinstall earlier this morning  but not sure I followed the right procedure.  Can you point me to or tell me what the exact procedure is please - definately a v2 Duo, running 5.3.5 soft.  I know it involves pressing the little button on the back of the Nas whilst it is powered down.  But then what exactly?  I'm obviously a little worried doing something wrong in case I do a  full Factory reset.   I understand about doing a Factory reset - that's a complete no no as I've thousands of music tracks on it, which I don't want to lose.

Hope you can help me a little bit more

Message 4 of 8
bedlam1
Prodigy

Can you log into the Duo Now?

If so you should do a firmware update using the conventional way of  Configure > System > Settings of the User Interface

The method is shown on Page 64 HERE

Message 5 of 8
rozel
Aspirant

No I cannot login.

I need to to a firmware reset using button presses on the Duo itself.

Do you know where I can find the procedure please ?- the exact one as I understand you have to press the the little button on the back whilst it is powered off, then power it on, still holding the little button in.  But then I read contradictory advice as to when to release the little button and what to look out for on the fron in terme of lights flashin.

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@rozel wrote:

I think I know the UNKNOWN IP address in my router (I believe this is the Duo's) - it is 192.168.0.7 

First try confirming this by entering https://192.168.0.7/admin in your browser, and see if that gets you into the duo's dashboard.

@rozel wrote:

Yes my Duo is definately v2 and had thought I did a Firmware reinstall earlier this morning  but not sure I followed the right procedure.  Can you point me to or tell me what the exact procedure is please - definately a v2 Duo, running 5.3.5 soft. 

If your duo has a static 192.168.1.x address, then the simplest solution is to change your router to use 192.168.1.x also.

I didn't want to post the boot menu procedure until the model was confirmed.  It's described on pages 16-17 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_23-Mar-12.pdf

@rozel wrote:

I understand about doing a Factory reset - that's a complete no no as I've thousands of music tracks on it, which I don't want to lose.

RAID isn't enough to keep your music safe.  You need a backup on a different device for that.  So I do recommend getting a USB drive or some other storage, and putting a backup plan in place for your NAS.

While I agree with @bedlam1 that you should update your firmware, I wouldn't do that until after you have a backup.

Message 7 of 8
rozel
Aspirant

"I didn't want to post the boot menu procedure until the model was confirmed.  It's described on pages 16-17 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_23-Mar-12.pdf  "

This did the trick - a massive thank you!  Not used my Duo for a while but my Media Player, so I'm informed, now plays music, which in turn will hopefully now deliver lossless sounds through my Home Theatre setup.

Strange thing is the relevant IP address is now 198.162.0.26 lol!  But my network now sees it and that's what matters. It still shows 192.168.0.7 as UNKNOWN but  now I am going to have a well deserved session with my Media Player.  I've just updated the Duo to 5.3.13 too - not sure what the enhancements are but we will see. 

Thank you once again and have a great day!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements