× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ Upgrade Advice

crown
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ Upgrade Advice

I just received an email regarding the End of Life for my RND4000 (ReadyNas NV+).  With that I am starting to  for an upgrade unit.
look
Are there any resources available which would detail the best and hopefully easiest way to have to upgrade my unit (I was thinking the RN204) or am I going to have start from scratch regarding all my settings, data, etc?

I know it would be to much to ask that the drives could just be swapped and magically everything was working.

Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas NV+ Upgrade Advice

@crown wrote:

I know it would be to much to ask that the drives could just be swapped and magically everything was working.

That won't happen, so your instincts are sound.

@crown wrote:

I just received an email regarding the End of Life for my RND4000 (ReadyNas NV+).  With that I am starting to look for an upgrade unit.

Are there any resources available which would detail the best and hopefully easiest way to have to upgrade my unit (I was thinking the RN204) or am I going to have start from scratch regarding all my settings, data, etc?

First, there is no rush if your NAS is working ok.  Your NV+ has been end-of-life for a couple of years now.  That email was mostly for the x86 crowd (pro/ultra). Even for them, the NAS has been "legacy" for quite a while.

Mainly they are warning customers that they won't be providing security updates on the NAS anymore.

The RN204 would be a suitable replacement for the NV+.  The RN100 probably would do (it is faster than your NV+), but there are more complaints here about the RN100 than about other models.

The RN314 would also work, and often is close to the RN204 in price.  The RN314 has lifetime chat support, so it is worth looking at.

What I suggest on the upgrade, is that you set up the new NAS with new disks, and configure it from scratch.  Then use the built-in backup to migrate the data.  When it is finished, you can reverse the backup jobs and use the NV+ as a backup NAS.

Message 2 of 3
crown
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas NV+ Upgrade Advice

Thanks so much for the information.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements