× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ V2 - not booting

Jamieg285-1
Follower

ReadyNas NV+ V2 - not booting

My ReadyNAS NV+ V2 (RND4000-200EUS) has switched off and won't respond to my attempts to reboot.  This one has an external power supply brick and the light is on, so I am assuming it's getting power.  I've tried clicking the power button and holding it. I've tried pressing the reset, but nothing is happening.

Firstly - any suggestions for fixing this?  Netgear won't even let me log a support call for advice, so I'm kind of stuck.  I've seen other posts about replacing the PSU, but they are all for the earlier model that has an internal PSU.

Secondly, assuming it's dead and cannot be revived, what options do I have to acces the data?  There are 2 disks and as far as I can remember I set them up with X-raid.   I'm figuring I can find a used one of the same model and swap the disks in, but would like to know if there are other alternatives, particularly new or up-to-date equipment. 

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom...

Message 1 of 4
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas NV+ V2 - not booting

Hi Jamieg285-1,

Welcome to the Community!

Just for further test, you can try removing the disks (label the disks with its corresponding slot), then power up the NAS and see if it comes up with a "no disks" status on RAIDar.

Regarding your second question, we have a process on how you can recover your data using our newer OS6 chassis. You may check this article for the steps that need to be done.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Jamieg285-1,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as a solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you see any NAS LED activity at all when you plug in the powered supply?

It is certainly possible that the LED on the supply is on but the 12VDC output is out of spec, preventing the internal supply from converting to the necessary running voltages.  Powering up without the drives, as @JohnCM_S suggested is one test, since that will reduce the load.  A known working alternate supply is, of course, a better one.

If you cannot get the old one working and the supply is not the issue, repair is not an option unless it is something simple like a bad connector or solder joints to it.  A used NV+V2 will do the job, assuming the volume is still intact.  But there is risk in buying used equipment that old.  Netgear can (for a fee) assist you in recovery if you purchase a new OS6 NAS, as described here: ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6.  RSTUDIO for Windows is another option if you have a way to attach at least 3 (best all) drives from the NAS to a PC.  And recovery from a Linux system is also possible if you can attach the drives.

If you do go to purchase a used NAS, be sure to check the photos of the device.  Some NV+ V1's have a label on the bottom that says V2, or even V3, but that is not the same thing as your V2.  The easiest way to tell a "real" V2 from a V1 is the external supply.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements