× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV XRAID. Time for Expansion but a couple Questions

mikeap
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV XRAID. Time for Expansion but a couple Questions

I have a Readynas NV XRAID, so its definitely an "older" unit. It has 4x750GB drives. FIrmware version 4.14 [1.00a042]. Memory 256GB [2.5-3-3-7]

My questions are

1. I'd like to expand the drives capacity, but I don't want to have to format it to do so. I understand I can replace all 4 drives, 1 at a time, and after the 4th it will have a larger capacity, but I'm not sure of what version of firmware my unit was originally set with so I'm not sure if I can go beyond 750GB drives without wiping it first.

2. How will the unit perform with WD Caviar Green Drives. I would like them b/c my drives heat up as the unit is in a hot area but wanted feedback on them first.

3. My firmware is 4.1.4 but when I click on check for updates, nothing happens, and I read there was a 4.1.7 update out there. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas NV XRAID. Time for Expansion but a couple Quest

mikeap wrote:

1. I'd like to expand the drives capacity, but I don't want to have to format it to do so. I understand I can replace all 4 drives, 1 at a time, and after the 4th it will have a larger capacity, but I'm not sure of what version of firmware my unit was originally set with so I'm not sure if I can go beyond 750GB drives without wiping it first.

You'll need to check the block size of your volume (see Why you might want to factory reset a Sparc ReadyNAS) . If you have the 4k block size you will need to do a factory reset
mikeap wrote:

2. How will the unit perform with WD Caviar Green Drives. I would like them b/c my drives heat up as the unit is in a hot area but wanted feedback on them first.

Pretty much any WD Caviar Green 2TB drive is going to be a 4k sector disk (if you don't do a factory reset after upgrading to 4.1.7 you will likely encounter poor write performance). Some of the lower capacity ones may be 4k sector disks as well.
mikeap wrote:

3. My firmware is 4.1.4 but when I click on check for updates, nothing happens, and I read there was a 4.1.7 update out there. Any thoughts on this?

Sounds like there may be a problem with your settings under Network > Global Settings in Frontview. You can manually install the update as described in the RAIDiator 4.1.7 Release Notes

I'd recommend having a read of What to do before expanding your ReadyNAS volume
Message 2 of 4
mpinder
Aspirant

mikeap wrote:
I have a Readynas NV XRAID, so its definitely an "older" unit. It has 4x750GB drives. FIrmware version 4.14 [1.00a042]. Memory 256GB [2.5-3-3-7]
Thanks

I have noticed this happens too, seems to be this only works if using IE as your browser.
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could have a compatibility issue (browser released after RAIDiator version you are running breaking compatibility) perhaps.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements