× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas NV+ kills network on copy action [4.1.15 ]

Si_K
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ kills network on copy action [4.1.15 ]

Hi Community,

i am new to the Netgear ReadyNAS. I just switched from a Promise NAS.

I got my NV+ operating in an x-raid with 4x1tb identical disks.

Updated the RAIDiator to the latest 4.1.15 today and got everything up and running.
I really like the device.
But i got one Problem:
When i copy files from my windows 10 machine through smb sometimes it works just fine but most times the operation stucks and my wifi connection breaks. then i have no longer access to the internet and the readynas. i have to deactivate the wifi adapter and reactivate it to restore everything. the NAS itself wont freeze or something, i don't have to do anything beside restarting my wifi adapter. i never had similar problems with the old nas  or other network devices. my laptop is an aspire v17 nitro VN7-791G-788H with a Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Wireless Network Adapter. win 10 is on 10.0.18362 Build 18362

would appreciate any help 🙂

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Si_K wrote:

Updated the RAIDiator to the latest 4.1.15 today and got everything up and running.

FWIW, the latest (and final) is actually 4.1.16, which adds a security fix.  https://kb.netgear.com/000038792/RAIDiator-Version-4-1-16-Sparc

I don't think that will resolve your problem, but it's worth picking it up.

@Si_K wrote:

But i got one Problem:
When i copy files from my windows 10 machine through smb sometimes it works just fine but most times the operation stucks and my wifi connection breaks. then i have no longer access to the internet and the readynas.

Does this happen when you use wired ethernet? Or is it just with wifi?

Message 2 of 7
Si_K
Aspirant

@StephenB  Does this happen when you use wired ethernet? Or is it just with wifi?

it seems caused by special combinations. i was able to do successfull copy tasks through wired and also through wifi. 
if i remember correctly i have had less problems doing it wired. but for example when i copy X files in one action it's more likely to succeed but when i copy over 5 files in 5 different actions simultaniously it's quite sure to fail.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Well, the NV+ is quite old, so you must have picked up a used one.  It's not clear at this point if the issue is with your PC, the network, the NV+ chassis or something with the disks in the NAS.  

I am thinking it's the PC or perhaps the network, but that is just my current guess.  Do you have another device you can use to test NAS transfers?

You should probably download the NAS log zip file, and look at the disk health next.  You'll find the SMART stats in disk_smart.log.  It's worth looking in system.log and kernel.log for errors as well.

It'd also be helpful to confirm that the issue is only happening when you have several copies going on in parallel from the PC (or not).  One tool that you could use to test sequential copying is NAStester ( http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance ).  That would be a good way to run a long sequential test.

Message 4 of 7
Si_K
Aspirant

thank's a lot for your help.

yes you're right. i got this one used. i wasn't happy with my promise nas and that was also lower in storage capacity. 

so when i was offered this nv+ with 4tb for 60€ i couldn't miss it. 

i updated it again , now to the really latest version 😉 

and i downloaded the nastester utility. it ran a 400 x 5 run without any problems

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DNL8AVklnoq7WppGiG2V5brQdJM7zMSn/view?usp=sharing

so i started a 4gb x 2 run which is still running.

but as far as i see this programm copies only 1 file at a time so i don't expect it to crash. 
But i will perform the increasing tests till maximum. 

after that i will try to trigger the crash again with real-world-examples. 

if it freezes again i will try to copy from another machine

Message 5 of 7
Si_K
Aspirant

hi @StephenB  , i ran tests and copied stuff to my media collection the whole day. 

everything worked just fine. it really seems like the update from 4.1.15 to 4.1.16 fixed the issue.

it sounds really silly but i was never before able to transfer so many data. 

so i assume this to be solved but i will leave the thread open for some more days if the problem reoccures.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Si_K wrote:

i ran tests and copied stuff to my media collection the whole day. 

everything worked just fine. it really seems like the update from 4.1.15 to 4.1.16 fixed the issue.

it sounds really silly but i was never before able to transfer so many data. 

I glad it seems to have resolved it.

Likely you already know that RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe, but just in case, I want to underscore the need to have a backup of the data on the NAS.

FWIW,  Netgear stopped selling the NV+ in late 2011, so yours is at least 8 years old.  Generally the first thing to fail is the power supply.  My own NV+ (about 10 years old) is still running, though I only use it as a backup NAS now. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements