× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ not powering on

Lord_Style
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ not powering on

Hello,

I've got a ReadyNas NV+ which i've been running for 8 years, this weekend however I got some email alerts about temperature on two of the drives overnight and then the next day I found it turned off.

Now the device does not turn back on, if I plug in the power cable and press the on button, the on button lights blue for half a second then turns off.

If I try to turn it back on, nothing happens.

If I unplug the power cable and plug it back in, the light will go blue again for half a second when I press the power button but once again it will do nothing with subsequent button presses.

I've tried another power cable and also tried powering it on with no memory stick, the same happens.

I've also tried unplugging all of the drives and powering it on, I end up with the same situation.

Does anyone have any idea what component might be at fault here?

If I am unable to resurrect my NAS, my drives are formatted in X-RAID, what options do I have to recover my data?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas NV+ not powering on

No thoughts on what is wrong.

Options for getting data back:

(a) mount drives in x86 linux system (possible a windows PC running a linux boot CD).  There's a dbott post on this here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306 but it is not accessible at the moment.  Google Cache is visible, and says

(1) sudo su
(2) apt-get install fuseext2
(3) apt-get install lvm2
(4) modprobe fuse
(5) vgscan
(6) vgchange -ay c
(7) fuseext2 -o ro -o sync_read /dev/c/c /mnt

There is also a link to this blog: http://greyproc.blogspot.jp/2010/04/readynas-600-raid-recovery-with-ubuntu.html

(b) You can also perhaps find a used NV+, and migrate the disks to that

(c) Some recovery services can retrieve the data.  Cost might be acceptable, assuming the array and file system is intact.

Message 2 of 6
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

Most likely a power supply issue.

If your serial number falls within the range of 000DA2010FFE and 000DA2016000 then you're covered under the service advisory.

If not, may still be worth a call to support to see if they'll replace the PSU (or the entire chassis).

There have been previous discussions on fitting a third-party PSU.

Edit: StephenB mentioned the below already while I was writing this up. 😉

The easiest recovery would be acquiring another NV+ chassis and booting the disks in that.

It is possible to recover data from the disk set using a Linux system.

Message 3 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Lord_Style,

Welcome to the community!

Probably the component that causes the unit not to turn on completely, is the power supply. Here are your options:

1. If the unit is still under warranty, our support team can process an RMA.

2. Another option would be getting a similar NV+ v1 unit and move the disks in the same order.

3. Last option would be getting a new unit (which is an OS 6) but it will cost you money for data recovery process.

Let me know if you have questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
Lord_Style
Aspirant

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Unfortunately my unit is out of warranty as it's 8 years old, it also isn't one of the units affected by the recall which was handily linked above.

I'll speak with support and see if they're able to sell me a new power supply.

If I have no luck, i'll look at recovering the data using linux and the guide linked above.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Lord_Style,

Thanks for responding. I hope you will exhaust all options until you get your precious data back. Reply to this thread if you have other questions. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements