× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ (v1) Upgrade Transfer Help

scottydawg
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ (v1) Upgrade Transfer Help

We have been running a ReadyNAS NV+ with 2 drives (has 4 drive slots available) for the last 8 years without isssue however yesterday it shut down and will not restart so it is time for a new ReadyNAS. How do I move the discs over to a new ReadyNAS without loosing the data and what model does everyone recommend?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas NV+ (v1) Upgrade Transfer Help

We have a guide here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29875/~/readynas%3A-migrating-disks-from-raidiator-to-...

It would require remote assistance from support (we would need to charge for that), and you would need somewhere to backup your data to.

Without knowing what your use case is, I would suggest that the ReadyNAS 314 or perhaps the 316 or 516 if you need more drive bays would be good options.

Is this used for business or for home? What do yo use the NAS for?

Message 2 of 15
scottydawg
Aspirant

I called support today and as it turns out the power supply on the NV+ is under a recall and the fine support staff at Netgear is sending a new power supply. Once I get that installed I will back up the drive(s) to a USB so I can pick up a new unit.

The unit is for our business, it is a backup system for us for Quickbooks, documents, images, etc.  We really only need a 2 drive unit so we have RAID redundancy but I would be OK with additional drive options.

Thank you for the response 🙂

Message 3 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well then in the new models you could look at e.g. RN212, RN312 etc. as well.

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

Well then in the new models you could look at e.g. RN212, RN312 etc. as well.

I think the RN300 and above will get you to business support, which is a bit different than home support (esp. on weekends, etc).  There are also some features coming out that are limited to the "business" NAS - ReadyDR backup for example.

If you can afford it, I'd go with a 4-bay unit (leaving two empty bays), which will give you the most cost-effective expansion later on. 

Message 5 of 15
scottydawg
Aspirant

Thank you both for the replies, taking a look now 😉

Message 6 of 15
scottydawg
Aspirant

The new power supply has us up and running like a charm. Now I need to make sure I have a back up of the back up so I wanted some advice on this.

Do I just plug in a USB drive and hit the "Backup" button?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@scottydawg wrote:

Do I just plug in a USB drive and hit the "Backup" button?

You should configure a frontview backup job.  You can connect that to the backup button.

Message 8 of 15
scottydawg
Aspirant

Thank you Stephan, it looks like I will just configure via "Add a Backup Job".

Message 9 of 15
scottydawg
Aspirant

More help needed. I plugged in a 4TB USB drive and it appears it neads to be formatted to work with the NAS. Oddly the NAS displays the drive as "2048 GB".

I attempted using the FAT32 and that came back with this message in my email "Error making FAT32 filesystem on the USB device. [USB_HDD_1]" .

I have another option, format EXT3 that I am trying now.

If this doesn't work, is the maximum size the NAS accepts is a 2TB based on what it is showing? If so that makes me think I should partiion and format the drive on a Windows computer.

Any input is appreciated...

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

The largest drive that the NV+ v1 can access is 2 TB..  Formatting it in a Windows PC will not give you full access to all the space. Neither will ext.

You could connect the drive to a PC perhaps.  Network transfer is faster than USB on the NV+.

Message 11 of 15
scottydawg
Aspirant

Just so I know, If I do make a partitioned drive of 2TB each will the NAS have the ability to use one of the partions?

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

I think creating and formatting a 2 TB MBR partition on the drive will work.

Message 13 of 15
scottydawg
Aspirant

Thank you sir Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

I think creating and formatting a 2 TB MBR partition on the drive will work.

BTW, If two partitions don't work, try deleting the second one, and leave half the disk empty.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements