× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ will not boot

markwalshuk
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ will not boot

Got a ReadyNas NV+ and been working fine for years. A few weeks ago, it had locked up and was not seen on the network. After reading the problems that others have had, tried to reinstall the firmware onto the NAS and this worked. A few days later, the NAS was down again and trying to reinstall the firmware with the TFTP and a USB key will not work - gets to stage 3 and says failed. Tried booting the NAS with each drive out to try and find if/what drive is causing the problem and it still will not boot - just stuck at booting...

I've got the NAS doing a firmware reinstall using the reset button at the back, and the unit is jsut saying Reinstalng FW Please Wait... Been like this for about 5 mins.
Message 1 of 12
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: ReadyNas NV+ will not boot

Has it finished?
Message 2 of 12
markwalshuk
Aspirant

Nope, still no good, left it for about 5+ hours. Just rebooted it again to try and flash it again from the USB stick
Message 3 of 12
markwalshuk
Aspirant

Just tried the USB restore again, Failed, Retry 3, Failed Writing on the front display. The disk LED's are blinking 1 & 3 together and then all 4 together
Message 4 of 12
DaveYHZ
Aspirant

CASE:16419673 Re: ReadyNas NV+ will not boot

Strange... I'm having the exact same issue. After years of being a working appliance, yesterday the ReadyNas NV+ just says booting...

I also did the firmware update via USB through to success then hit power and it still says Booting...

Any idea on what we should try next?
Message 5 of 12
PapaBear1
Guide

markwalshuk -

What version of RAIDiator is on your NV+?

What brand and make of hard drives?

Do you have a current and complete backup?

DaveYHZ - please answer the same questions.
Message 6 of 12
DaveYHZ
Aspirant

What version of RAIDiator is on your NV+?
as per: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_can_i_perform_a_boot_recovery_using_a_usb_flash_device
RAIDiator-4.1.7

What brand and make of hard drives?
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB SATA 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Hard Drive ST31500341AS

Do you have a current and complete backup?
Of my "current and complete backup", no 😞 Unfortunately draconian internet caps here in Canada prevent me from using offsight backup. The month I moved up here, i forgot to turn off Mozy and was charged $300 in data overages 😞
Message 7 of 12
jsdeprey
Aspirant

This seems strange so many NV+ issues that are so similar around the same time, I have not read back in posts on the forums so maybe this just happens allot, but I have had my NV+ since 2007 and its ran fine, no real lockups and issues booting like its doing now.

I just posted this in another post that had a similair issue, so hate to repost, but just want people to know that others are having the same issue.
I am not sure what version of Raidiator I am on, its not too old, I update the NAS every so often, I can not get it to boot to tell you for sure the current version, not sure of the hard drive type either, but all drive LED's are green on the front of the device, I have not tried a USB firmware install, but really want to talk to a support person before I screw with anything too much.

I am having the same issue more or less, I do not have a good backup of ALL my data on the NAS, and some of it is pretty important to me. I was starting a backup on to a USB hard drive in my main PC when the NAS locked up completly, I could not access the webpage or shares at all, so I pulled the power on it to reboot it.
When it booted back up it just sits at "Checking FS" for over 12 hours now, I have tried to bypass the Volume Check, but then it just says "Booting..." for hours, I also tried to do the Firmware reinstall via the pin hole on the back of my NAS, but then its just back to "Checking FS" again.
It makes me pretty nervous, I have some adata on the NAS that I really do not want to lose, would be a really bad deal for me.
What is the best thing for me to do here? wait for reponse on forum, or if there a number I can call, I would be willing to pay if its resonable to get this fixed really.
Someone please help, tell me if I need to start a new thread or call or something!

Thanks
Message 8 of 12
PapaBear1
Guide

My trusty old NV+ is also circa summer 2007 and is an Infrant. It has been upgraded from the original RAIDiator 3.x several times and is now on 4.1.7. The drives have been upgraded several times as well and is now running 3xSeagate ST31000528AS that were hand me downs, when I upgraded 2 drives in each of my two NVX units to 3TB drives. I have not encountered any problems. (But then it is also my second backup unit).

I would advise both of you to open an on line support ticket with tech support.

DaveYHZ, once you have the ticket number, edit your first post in this discussion and put the case # in the subject line.

jsdeprey, once you have your ticket number, edit your first post in your other discussion and put the case # in the subject line.
Message 9 of 12
DaveYHZ
Aspirant

I bought the Infrant NV in april of '07. Netgear has shown me great service so far. When the power supply went in the NV in '09, they sent me a replacement NV+! It has been chugging along ever since. I've upgraded the drives as storage has become cheaper. It has been the most consistently well behaved piece of hardware in my storage arsenal. I've had trouble with Drobo (and DroboShare especially). I've had external Seagate, Hitachi, WD drives go bad, all while the NV+ stayed reliable. It's actually been the backup drive for all of those other drives.

Can you imagine my frustration the first time Drobo died? Now I back up my drobo to the NV+ - or i did. It's been booting... now for days. At least all 4 drive lights are on and it's showing me the 0.3 of 4tb free. I hope there's a way out of this :S
Message 10 of 12
markwalshuk
Aspirant

Hi PapaBear

It's running on 4.1.7. Hopefully (fingers crossed! 😄 ) I've solved the problem. I left the NAS running a memory test overnight and this showed that it failed. Replaced the RAM today and tried to reflash the nas uisng the TFTP. This worked first time with no errors or timeouts. The NAS has now rebooted and run a quota check and I'm able to log into the NAS. Looks likt it has blown a hard drive as well as the memory but at least it is now booting.
Message 11 of 12
DaveYHZ
Aspirant

As a last ditch effort, after doing a USB flash reinstall of 4.1.7 I waited 24 hours. It did nothing so I tried a reset using the paperclip reset switch and it came up. To borrow a line from the good doctor, "It's alive, ALIVE!!!!"

Thanks for your quick responses and tips everyone.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements