× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Pro 4 Unresponsive After Firmware Upgrade from 6.9.3 to 6.9.4

jbug187
Aspirant

ReadyNas Pro 4 Unresponsive After Firmware Upgrade from 6.9.3 to 6.9.4

Hi.  I have an older ReadyNas Pro 4 (which I confirmed previously here) which I just updated from firmware version 6.9.3 to 6.9.4 hotfix 1.  Since the upgrade the device will boot - the LCD shows boot up status messages, the correct firmware version (6.9.4) hostname and IP address - but is almost totally unresponsive after that.

When I try to access the web based admin interface, I'm prompted for a password and then I see the ReadyNas 6.9.4 splash screen, but the menu never loads.  I can ping the IP address of the device.  I can also browse shares via SMB, but it's painfully slow - it will take almost a full minute to list the contents of folders while I browse the file system in Window Explorer.  Can someone help me with instructions for downgrading the firmware without having access to the admin interface?  I'm worried that the firmware upgrae might have bricked my NAS.  Thank you - any help is greatly appreciated!

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Pro 4 Unresponsive After Firmware Upgrade from 6.9.3 to 6.9.4

Maybe first look at the status (and download the log zip file) using RAIDar 6.4. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 2 of 5
jbug187
Aspirant

RAIDar doesn't show any issues (see attached image).  If I try to download the log files (which are only 2.1 MBs), it takes about 30 minutes to get to 3% and then just hangs indefinitely.  No real help to be found on the Diagnositics screen either - it says "No Errors Found" under the System and Logs headings.  If you have any other ideas they would be greatly appreciated.  I'm willing to try anything at this point.  Thanks for your time.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you have SSH access?  Maybe go in and do a TOP command and see if some process is taking all the throughput.  Even if a downgrade is the fix, it would be good to know the cause of the problem so it can be addressed.  My Pro2 has no such issue, BTW.

AFAIK, it's safe top downgrade from 9.4 to 9.3, I believe I saw a moderator suggest that to fix issues later fixed by hotfix 1.  You just have to do it locally.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

AFAIK, it's safe top downgrade from 9.4 to 9.3, I believe I saw a moderator suggest that to fix issues later fixed by hotfix 1.  You just have to do it locally.

I downgraded my rn526 from 6.9.4 back to 6.9.3 and had no problem.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements