× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Pro 6 - Moving from Radiator 4.2 to OS6

SolwayMist
Aspirant

ReadyNas Pro 6 - Moving from Radiator 4.2 to OS6

I have a ReadyNAS Pro 6 with Radiator 4.2.31 installed.

How suceesful is it when upgrading to OS6?

I know that I have to backup my data and reformat the disks etc.

Just a question of how I backup 6TB of data

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you use ReadyNAS remote, and if so, will ReadyCloud meet your needs in its place?  It was the initial depreciation and ultimate elimination of ReadyNAS remote that kept me from jumping on OS6 at the beginning, as I believe the basic structure of ReadyCloud as a completely separate inteface to the NAS instead of as a pipeline to the local interface is inherently flawed.  Ultimately, I set up OpenVPN to use for remote access to take the place of ReadyNAS remote.  I then discovered ZeroTier, which I like even more.

Other than the remote access issue, I have been very pleased with OS6, which runs on all my in-service NASes.  And once I purchased some new generation devices, it has been great to have them all on the same OS.  Having a NAS to back up each NAS made the conversion quite easy for me.  My backup systems stayed on OS4.2.x until I was satisfied with OS6.  Some of my data had only one copy during the conversion, but I made an additional copy of really critical stuff before wiping any given NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

As far as I can see from the forum, most people find that the upgrade goes very smoothly.

@SolwayMist wrote:

Just a question of how I backup 6TB of data

You should back up your NAS anyway - RAID isn't enough to keep the data safe.

The cheapest option is to back it up to USB drives.  You can also invest in a second NAS for backup (which is what I do).

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you use ReadyNAS remote, and if so, will ReadyCloud meet your needs in its place?  It was the initial depreciation and ultimate elimination of ReadyNAS remote that kept me from jumping on OS6 at the beginning, as I believe the basic structure of ReadyCloud as a completely separate inteface to the NAS instead of as a pipeline to the local interface is inherently flawed.  Ultimately, I set up OpenVPN to use for remote access to take the place of ReadyNAS remote.  I then discovered ZeroTier, which I like even more.

Other than the remote access issue, I have been very pleased with OS6, which runs on all my in-service NASes.  And once I purchased some new generation devices, it has been great to have them all on the same OS.  Having a NAS to back up each NAS made the conversion quite easy for me.  My backup systems stayed on OS4.2.x until I was satisfied with OS6.  Some of my data had only one copy during the conversion, but I made an additional copy of really critical stuff before wiping any given NAS.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements