× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Pro 6 Ultra : 3 drives show as dead in Frontview, show as fine in RAIDar (ReadyNASRN...

CMorlan
Star

ReadyNas Pro 6 Ultra : 3 drives show as dead in Frontview, show as fine in RAIDar (ReadyNASRNDP600U)

I'm having a very odd problem with my trusty ReadyNAS Ultra 6, which has been running like a champ for years.

A drive died, and I replaced it with a larger drive. Resync completed successfully, and a week later, another drive needed to be replaced. I replaced the second drive and resync again completed successfully, but when I checked Frontview, both of the new drives were still showing as 'dead'. I did some searching but came up with nothing substantial--tried reinserting the drives under power, and powered off, leaving unplugged for a while, etc. And left it there, but now a third drive has developed errors and been replaced. Resync works, as does access to all files, but this third drive is shown as dead in Frontview. The kicker is that RAIDar shows all drives as fine (but the volume at risk)!

Screenshot 2019-03-17 14.29.12.pngScreenshot 2019-03-17 14.30.11.png

So the real worry is that I won't get alerts if/when these new drives start to fail. Is there any way to get this back to rights? Ideally without a full factory reset, of course. It's all backed up, but a real pain to restore. I did read one person with an NV+ had success with using an identical drive to what was in the slot before, but I honestly don't remember what drives were in each slot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas Pro 6 Ultra : 3 drives show as dead in Frontview, show as fine in RAIDar (ReadyNASRN...

Hi @CMorlan

This has been seen on OS 4 units before, the disks needs to be manually added to md0.

You may want to contact Support for this, if you don't have a Support contract you can purchase a Per-Incident-Support.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 3
CMorlan
Star

So, oddly, had to replace another drive. And once the resync completed everything was back to normal. It was also a bigger drive, which triggered a volume expansion; not sure if that was part of it seeing the other drives as good again.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements