× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Pro 6 stuck on booting

ericchu
Aspirant

ReadyNas Pro 6 stuck on booting

Hi,

I have a ReadyNas Pro 6 running firmware version 6.5.1.  Everything has been working ok until one day when the unit would not shut down as usual through timer shut down.  It seemed to be in a "stuck" state so I just turned off power thinking I should be able to power it back on later.

Unfortunately, the unit won't boot all the way up now.  It keeps getting stuck with "Booting....." on the LCD.  I've tried OS re-install and skip vol check and got the same result.  I have not tried to SSH into the unit and did not turn it on.

My family's life photos and data is on this unit.  Please help!!

Model: RNDP6000-200 (ReadyNAS Pro 6)|ReadyNAS® Pro 6 System Diskless|EOL
Message 1 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ericchu,

Do you have full backup of the data? Does the RAIDar still see the NAS?

Regards,

Message 2 of 13
ericchu
Aspirant

Unfortunately, I do not have a full backup.  RAIDar can see it.  It shows:

• Model: ReadyNAS Pro6
  • Firmware: 6.4.2
  • Drives: All ok

When I try to download logs or initiate Diagnostics, I get the log in screen.  However, I can't log in.  The old password and the default password of "password" both do not work....  I did OS reinstall as an attempt to fix the problem...

What's next?

Thanks

Eric

Message 3 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ericchu,

How about mapping or accessing the shares and files, can you still get to them?

We always strongly recommend to always have full backup of the data stored to the NAS as it is not good storing important data to just one device.

This article might help you.

Regards,

Message 4 of 13
ericchu
Aspirant

Agree that I should have full backup.  As a matter-of-fact, I just purchased the ReadyNAS RN628X so that I can back up the entire unit.  However, I first need to be able to get to the data on this "non-booting" unit.  I can not map or access the shares or files on the shares.

Unit starts booting and stays in that mode with "booting...." on the LCD..

On recoverying old password, I can not connect to the unit through "https://" commands. 

Eric

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Does it boot in tech support mode?

Message 6 of 13
ericchu
Aspirant

Just tried it and I believe it is now in Tech Support mode.  LCD display shows "DebugMode[56197]".

Eric

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

good.

One option is to try to mount the data volume manually - are you familiar with linux shell commands?

Another possibility is that someone from Netgear will offer to assist remotely.

Message 8 of 13
ericchu
Aspirant

Have not done Linux/Unix commands in a long long time.  Can try with detailed instructinons.  Definitely welcome help from Netgear remotely since I don't want to make things worst.  I've left the system up and running.

Message 9 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You downgraded from 6.5.1 to 6.4.2. This is not a good idea. When we say not to downgrade beyond a certain release in the Release Notes we mean it. Please check if it's better now.

All your settings have been lost as there was no alternative but to format the OS partition.

Message 10 of 13
ericchu
Aspirant

You're a GOD!!  Thank you very very much.  I can get to my data now.  Netgear should know that it is folks like you who keep me loyal to the ReadyNAS products.  As stated earlier, just bought another unit...

On your note about downgrading, that is definitely curious.  I did not do any upgrade or downgrade...

Message 11 of 13
ericchu
Aspirant

One last question.  As stated earlier, I've purchased the ReadyNAS 628X.  I do have a 2nd ReadyNAS Pro unit with a dated backup of my ReadyNAS Pro 6.  Busy backing up my main unit now....

This older ReadyNAS Pro is currently running firmware version 6.5.1.  Given this unit being an x86 based unit, can I just upgrade the OS to 6.8.0 in this unit then transfer drives from this unit into the ReadyNAS 628X and have everything working?

Message 12 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@ericchu wrote:

Given this unit being an x86 based unit, can I just upgrade the OS to 6.8.0 in this unit then transfer drives from this unit into the ReadyNAS 628X and have everything working?

Yup.  Did that myself with a Pro6 to RN316, though on an earlier firmware version.

You didn't ask, but you should also be able to put the drives from the failed one in and it will update the OS on the drives, then move on (exactly like it does when you reboot after a normal OS update).  Given you have a backup, there's nothing to lose trying.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements