× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Pro for virtualization with Hyper V

killouts1
Follower

ReadyNas Pro for virtualization with Hyper V

Hello,

I need to change my servers, I want to virtualize all my real servers on 1.
Do you thing that Ready Nas Pro is fast enough to do that :

1 real server
Intel Xeon X3460 2.8 GHz
16 Go RAM
4 Port NIC
Windows 2008 R2 hyper V

1 VM 2008 R2 for AD DHCP DNS
1 VM 2008 R2 for lotus domino
1 VM 2008 R2 for WSUS / Print

I want to store my VM into the NAS with ISCI. What about performance, what is the best performance ReadyNas ?
Is the performance can be compare to a real SAN ISCI

Thank you for your help (sorry for my English i'm French)
Message 1 of 9
dengar
Aspirant

You should have no problem with a ReadyNAS Pro or 3200 in this scenario. Of course, much depends on how busy your Domino apps are but the performance is in excess of 100MBps for both platforms.

Check the success story for Data Coordination - they are running a similar environment over NFS with a 2100. iSCSI is the same performance or possible a little slower (more protocols involved).

The 3200 will support an additional 2-port Intel NIC, so you can segment your traffic for performance improvements. This feature is in beta at the moment.
Message 2 of 9
Lithium-Admin
Novice

The 3200 is the best performance ReadyNAS as of today 🙂

You can read the performance here tested by us:
http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=2468#Performance

With iometer, the result show 110MBps read/write speed and about 15K IOP with 4K block size.

In addition, here are some iSCSI testing reasults on 3200 from a 3rd party - just for your reference
1) easy set up
a. Enable iSCSI From FrontView Web management UI
b. Create iSCSI target (assign target name, allocate 150GB LUN with CHAP) >> complete in 1min
c. Expand LUN capacity with addition 10GB >> complete in 1min

2) Performance
Tested with SANergy, 2 clients, 3 sessions per clients
Client PC: Dell D630, 2GBRAM, Windows XP sp3
Direct connect 2 clients with CAT6

Access Blocksize (KB) #ofsessions IOPS Speed(MB/S)
read 64 6 1968 123
Write 64 6 1520 95
Read 1024 6 133 133
write 1024 6 112 112

Also conducted and passed 12 hours stress testing with uninterrupted simultaneously CIFS and iSCSI LUN R/W access.
Message 3 of 9
asmetana
Aspirant

I'm in the process of migrating my Hyper-V VMs over to the 24TB 3200 and so far it's going quite well. I have 15 production VMs living on 3 different iSCSI targets on the 3200 hosted by 3 different HP & IBM servers. I am using a dedicated VLAN for the iSCSI network with an HP ProCurve gig switch. All hosts are running Server 2008 R2 and the performance of the individual machines is indistinguishable from running on the local SAS drives on the hosts. So far I'm very pleased. Just have a couple of things to sort out on the ReadyNAS, the biggest one being setting up monitoring of the APC Symetra network UPS.
Message 4 of 9
Lithium-Admin
Novice

asmetana,

Anything on the APC Symetra monitoring? share with us...
Message 5 of 9
asmetana
Aspirant

Not yet, from the various threads I read through it sounds like my best solution is to put NUT on one of the Mac or Linux boxes and direct my 3200 to take its queue from it. I could compile it on the ReadyNAS itself but I don't want to take any chances on breaking it or being denied support should I need it.
Message 6 of 9
asmetana
Aspirant

Got the APC network UPS running! Not sure how I missed this thread before: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=32239

I first tested it on my RNPro and then configured on my 3200. The curious thing is that many of the executables were not present on the 3200 that were present on the Pro. I had to bring a couple over but after doing that and launching the NUT service and configuring the RN to monitor itself, it worked great. I adjusted access to the NUT server and configured my Pro to monitor the 3200 and that works too.

I was prepared to run NUT on an additional Linux or Mac server but not having to do so is more convenient and takes one system out of the chain to make it all happen.
Message 7 of 9
arjaycob
Aspirant

Boba Fett wrote:
The 3200 is the best performance ReadyNAS as of today 🙂

You can read the performance here tested by us:
http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=2468#Performance

With iometer, the result show 110MBps read/write speed and about 15K IOP with 4K block size.

In addition, here are some iSCSI testing reasults on 3200 from a 3rd party - just for your reference
1) easy set up
a. Enable iSCSI From FrontView Web management UI
b. Create iSCSI target (assign target name, allocate 150GB LUN with CHAP) >> complete in 1min
c. Expand LUN capacity with addition 10GB >> complete in 1min

2) Performance
Tested with SANergy, 2 clients, 3 sessions per clients
Client PC: Dell D630, 2GBRAM, Windows XP sp3
Direct connect 2 clients with CAT6

Access Blocksize (KB) #ofsessions IOPS Speed(MB/S)
read 64 6 1968 123
Write 64 6 1520 95
Read 1024 6 133 133
write 1024 6 112 112

Also conducted and passed 12 hours stress testing with uninterrupted simultaneously CIFS and iSCSI LUN R/W access.

Yes 3200 is one the effective server I'm using right now just like my other friends introduced to me.
Message 8 of 9
ozymandius257
Aspirant

I have a newby question....

I'm looking at getting a ReadyNAS 3200 so we can put virtual machines on it.

I've read about setting up iSCSI, but I'm a tad confused about the configuration of the drives in the ReadyNAS. Do you configure the drives as one large RAID, and then do lots of iSCSI setups and map these as lots of drives on the host server, or should I leave the drives seperate?

I'm worried about hard drive speed if all the hard drives are in one big RAID.....
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements