× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas RN104 - Trying to Attach Yottamaster FS4RU3 4 Disk RAID 5 Array via USB 3

rozel1
Aspirant

ReadyNas RN104 - Trying to Attach Yottamaster FS4RU3 4 Disk RAID 5 Array via USB 3

Hi -  I touched on this here: -

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNas-Duo-V2-Constantly-Blinking...

The problem I'm having is that whilst transferring files via My PC from a device on my Network to the attached Yottamaster it bombs out - first effort to transfer 25GB of files bombed at appx 7.5GB.  When I logged into the ReadyNas, the attached storage disappeared.  At this stage I unplugged the Yottamaster from the ReadyNas and plugged it into my PC .  I reformatted it using Windows 11 Disk Adminstration.  We then discussed the issue and I was asked whether the drives in the Yottamaster were SMR or CMR drives.  I confirmed they were CMR and that's where matters ended.

After researching, to no avail, I thought I'd give it another go and yesterday set up the external Share again after plugging back into the ReadyNas.  This time I started transferring 88GB files (why not?) but this time the transfer ran for 20 mins then bombed out again.  Reason given in Windows Explorer was that the Destination Device could not be found.  This time after logging into the ReadyNas once more, I saw the attached Share had set to "Read Only".  See attached screenshots.Screenshot 2023-02-17 094633.jpgScreenshot 2023-02-17 094743.jpgScreenshot 2023-02-17 094836.jpg

I don't know what to do now - I really want this attached Share to work with my ReadyNas - fwiw - I have a media player on my network and want it to play files from the Share.  Before putting anything on it the player sees the "Music folder" in the first screenshot - I think Read Only wouldn't be an issue but until I can place files on it, I'm stumped.

I really hope this issue can be solved please.  Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas RN104 - Trying to Attach Yottamaster FS4RU3 4 Disk RAID 5 Array via USB 3

Did you look in the full log zip file for errors? 

FWIW, a better strategy would be to expand the RN104 internal volume by investing in a couple of larger disks.

Message 2 of 10
rozel1
Aspirant

May I ask you to look at the first 2 pages of errors to see if there's anything obvious? - I really am clueless when it comes down to networking: -

Screenshot 2023-02-17 110543.jpg

You are right of course about increasing the Volume of the RN104 but another solution may be to attach the Yottamaster direct to my Media Player, but that would be if I can find room for it in my living room

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@rozel1 wrote:

May I ask you to look at the first 2 pages of errors to see if there's anything obvious? 

The full log zip has a lot more information than you see on the log screen.  But you shouldn't post it publicly, as there is some information leakage.

Most of the errors are warning you that the RN104 internal volume is too full.  You should take care of that right away, as the file system can fail if you don't.  If you have snapshots enabled, try deleting them (starting with the oldest).  Otherwise, offload enough data to create at least 15% free space.

The only error related to the Yottamaster is saying that the RAID array might have been out of sync. As a result, the NAS made the volume read-only.  If that was detected during the transfer, it would explain why the transfer failed.

The challenge here is that the Yottamaster is managing its own RAID, but the NAS itself is clearly also detecting the RAID and will therefore try to manage it itself.  That control conflict will create some issues. During writes to a RAID-5 array, the NAS will normally update the RAID parity blocks and update the RAID event counters on the disk.  But the Yottamaster would also be trying to do that on its own.

It might be possible to disable the Yottamaster RAID and make each disk its own volume - not sure. I'm looping in @Sandshark, as he has experience with the EDA500 enclosure and I do not.  

Message 4 of 10
rozel1
Aspirant

That is very helpful indeed.  I must admit that in the beginning, I was hoping that the RN104 could set up the RAID on the attached Yottamaster, but guess this isn't possible?

I shall have a dig for the Log File(s).  I've also been looking to see if I can somehow remove "write protect" from the Share by accessing it in Windows Explorer but cannot see anything.  Snapshots - is there an easy way to cancel them on all Shares?

Given what you finally advise, I shall decide whether to connect to my Media Player direct - I believe this can act as a NAS

I appreciate your support - thanks

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@rozel1 wrote:

Snapshots - is there an easy way to cancel them on all Shares?

Unfortunately no.  That is one reason I don't recommend the "smart" snapshot setting.  I use custom snapshots myself, with limited retention (generally 3 months).  Then the old snapshots are automatically deleted.

@rozel1 wrote:

I must admit that in the beginning, I was hoping that the RN104 could set up the RAID on the attached Yottamaster, but guess this isn't possible?

You'd have to disable the hardware raid on the yottamaster.  ReadyNAS support for RAID enclosures was designed for the EDA500.  That wasn't supported in the Arm-based ReadyNAS (RN1xx and RN2xx series).

Message 6 of 10
rozel1
Aspirant

Ok thank you 👍  -  I will connect direct to media player

Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

It would be very odd for the ReadyNAS to try to do anything with the RAID in the Yottamaster.  USB devices with internal RAID do not typically expose the individual drives to the host unless the RAID is disabled (except, perhaps, through their own special software).  In addition, I have always believed that the NAS will not create a RAID volume on a multi-drive USB device even when it can see the individual drives, at least using XRAID.  AFAIK, it will only do so on an eSATA device that uses port expansion, as does the EDA500.  But I've not tried anything for many OS updates, so maybe it will work with a multi-drive USB chassis now.  Netgear may have been looking at a USB expansion to replace the EDA500 and added that capability even though they never released the hardware.  I think you may be able to go in via SSH and create a RAID that the OS will recognize on such a device.

Now, it might still make the "drive" (really the whole external array) read-only if it had issues with transfers to it.  I've not done enough with USB drives and a ReadyNAS, especially a low-end one like the 104, to know.

I have an ancient 2-drive USB chassis that I think I can set up as JBOD so the NAS sees the drives separately.  I always used it in "concatinated" mode when I was still using it with a ReadyNAS, and the NAS saw it as a single drive.  I'll see if I have any time to pull it out and mess with it on one of my sandbox units.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything similar to the Yottamaster on which to experiment.

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Now, it might still make the "drive" (really the whole external array) read-only if it had issues with transfers to it.  I've not done enough with USB drives and a ReadyNAS, especially a low-end one like the 104, to know.

Looking at that message again, it is possible that the NAS is detecting that the USB drive wasn't properly ejected.  That would result in a read-only volume.  The mystery is why that would happen in the middle of a transfer. 

The only explanations I have are

• insufficient power causing the yottamaster to reboot.
  • a poor USB cable connection
Message 9 of 10
rozel1
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

The only explanations I have are

• insufficient power causing the yottamaster to reboot.
  • a poor USB cable connection

Well I've managed to connect the Yottamaster to the Media Player and it's seen on my Network - job done!  Although it's a noisy bugger, another reason why I didn't want it in my living room.

Before I moved it I was able to copy 88GB of files without a single issue.  So I don't think the USB cable is at fault, after all it came with the Yottamaster and has hardly been used.  And can't see the PSU to be at fault either.  But the true test will be when I copy over the remaining 3TB of files to the Yottamaster over the Network

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements