× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Remote and IOS 11

Bob94301
Guide

ReadyNas Remote and IOS 11

Hi folks,

Been using ReadyNas remote successfully for years. Updated iPhpne to IOS 11 and it no longer works. Downloaded ReadyNas Cloud and says nothing registered.

Please advise how I can get ReadyNas Remote and ReadyNas DLNA faetures working in IOS 11.

Thanks!

~Bob

Model: ReadyNAS RND2150|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

ReadyCloud is only for OS 6 ReadyNAS.  What ReadyNAS model do you have and what firmware is it running?

Netgear announced they are dropping Remote at the end of this year, so if you are using an OS 4.x or OS 5 NAS you will need to find another solution for remote access.

Message 2 of 6
Bob94301
Guide

Thanks for replying.

ReadyNas Duo - 4.1.14

Any options?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Bob94301 wrote:

ReadyNas Duo - 4.1.14

My own duo is still in service as a backup NAS.  One challenge is that it only supports SMB1, which is rapidly being deprecated by Microsoft.  So you should start thinking about replacing it at some point.  The RN212 is the current 2-bay entry ReadyNAS.  It's about 5x faster than your Duo, and of course does support ReadyCloud.

In the meantime, there are three basic options. 

(a) You can access the NAS itself using FTPS (and DDNS).  This requires forwarding ports in your firewall, and finding apps on your iOS device that support it.  AVPlayerHD is one app that does.  You'll probably get better results if you first copy the media to the iOS device, and then play it.

(b) If your router supports OpenVPN (Netgear Nighthawks do), you can install the OpenVPN client on your iOS device.  That will let you access your full network remotely, so whatever apps/services you use at home now will just work.  A variant of this is to install ZeroTier on a PC (windows or mac) on your home network.  It is possible to set this up so you also have full (and secure) access to your home network over the internet.  You do need to make sure that PC is always on.

(c) Another approach is to mount the NAS "C" volume as a drive letter on a PC.  Then use that PC as an application server.  For instance, run Plex server on the PC, and use the plex app on the iOS device.  Resilio Sync can also be installed on the PC and the iOS device (and of course ZeroTier if you want it).

Even though I have OS 6 NAS that support ReadyCloud, I prefer using (b) and (c) - and don't have ReadyCloud enabled on my NAS.

Message 4 of 6
Bob94301
Guide

Thanks for a great reply.

I likely should update, but I don't think I can just put these discs in a new device and likely have forgotten everything I configured years ago and that just continues to work as desired. Auto backups, home theater streaming, bittorrents, and I am sure more but I may not even be able to remember 🙂

~Bob

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Bob94301 wrote:

but I don't think I can just put these discs in a new device

That's correct.  You'd need to start over.

It can be a challenge to get everything working smoothly.  I'm using the application server myself (even though my NAS is quite capable) in part because I think it gives me more options on applications (and generally PC applications are more mainstream than their linux equivalents).

OpenVPN or ZeroTier is the simplest path forward, but you will need to deploy them on another device on your network.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements