× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra 2 No network connectivity - no NIC lights

beaumonr
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 2 No network connectivity - no NIC lights

HI All,

I have a ReadyNas Ultra 2 which has been functioning fine as a Network attached storage device since I purchased it. Unfortunately I find there are no network connectivity lights on, I can't see the device on my network. I've changed cables, ports on the router, everything works with other equipment but the Ultra 2 won't connect to the network. When I power up it appears to run up the fan and make the usual noises but nothing on the network. I'm stuffed, its got 2 disks in it and all my photos of my 2 children since they were born.  I'm desperate. 

Can anyone suggest a course of action.....I thought the 2 disks, 2 NICS approach would be bomb proof, I even have a spare disk in my drawer in case one failed... but I didn't expect both NICS to fail...

please help

Model code RNDU2000

SERIAL  2PG4240F0048E

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
beaumonr
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 2 No network connectivity - no NIC lights

Strange I posted again last night after I had some success, but it hasn't appeared here.

So I found a couple of posts from someone else and ended up putting the second of the original disks in chassis, it did indeed boot up, in fact it booted up in both chassis. I then installed the new scratch disk it was recognised and appeared in raidar and after a couple of attempts it started to rebuild.

So in fact all I had was a single bad disk, what I find frustrating and was part of the reason I selected the Netgear in the first place is that the unit is supposed to continue to function if one disk fails and I should be able to hit swap, indeed it's also supposed to notify me via email of the failure. Neither of these things happened. The faulty disk prevented the boot, which prevented the NICS initializing and thus resulted in buying another chassis.

I will now set up the second chassis with two disks and back up one to another,

I feel a bit like I've been sold a car with an ice warning sensor only to find out it doesn't work when it's cold outside.

Thanks for your help Stephen it was actually one of your old posts that I found from 2 years ago.

Regards

Rob

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
beaumonr
Aspirant

Model number is RND2A. Can I just slot my disks into another unit with exactly same model number and name, I've found one on the net and it works seem the quickest fix? Firmware issues?
Message 2 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@beaumonr wrote:
Model number is RND2A. Can I just slot my disks into another unit with exactly same model number and name, I've found one on the net and it works seem the quickest fix? Firmware issues?

You can insert the disks into any ultra (or pro) and it should boot up. 

If the firmware in the NAS flash differs from what is on the drives, it will attempt to install the firmware in the flash.  So it is best to install a scratch disk in the replacement NAS first, and then install the same firmware as is one the old one.

Message 3 of 12
beaumonr
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the reply, I'm afraid I cannot recall which firmware is installed on the faulty drive, is there a way of finding out? Cheers. Rob
Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@beaumonr wrote:
Hi, thanks for the reply, I'm afraid I cannot recall which firmware is installed on the faulty drive, is there a way of finding out? Cheers. Rob

No way to find out without booting it.  So install the current firmware on the replacement machine.

Message 5 of 12
beaumonr
Aspirant

Ok thanks, final questions, what happens if the current firmware which I install on the scratch disk in the replacement NAS is more recent / up to date than the firmware on the disks?

What is the actual issue caused if firmware is installed in the flash when the old disks are booted in the new NAS?

I've actually found a Netgear system update status email from 2013 stating.
"Your ReadyNAS device has been updated with a new firmware image. (RAIDiator-x86 4.2.23)"

.... Would it be better to install the most recent firmware or install to this level...?

Cheers

Rob
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I'd install the current firmware.  The NAS will upgrade to the OS on the disks to that level when it boots up.

Message 7 of 12
beaumonr
Aspirant

Hi Again,

I've now got a replacement Ultra2, exactly the same as my faulty one. I've also got an identical seagate scratch disk. I've plugged it in, I can see it on the network with  RaiDar on the Raidar interface its asking me to set up the new disk, but I can't remember whether the originals are Xraid2 or flex Raid.   I had two identical seagate disks and wanted to be able to swap out a new one if one failed. There was never an intention of increasing the volume size.  I did receive an email from the device two years ago informning me that the firmware was updated to  (RAIDiator-x86 4.2.23).

In order to upgrade the firmware do I need to set up the disk and then  log onto the management interface..?  sorry its been so long I can't remember?

cheers

Rob

Message 8 of 12
beaumonr
Aspirant

Aha, found it, a vpn router was blocking me, managed to get to front view and currently performing firmware upgrade. Phew... Will carry on hopefully all will go smoothly now. Cheers. Rob
Message 9 of 12
beaumonr
Aspirant

Ok, all updated to latest firmware in new chassis. So I powered down, removed the scratch disk and plugged in both my old disks, got an initial boot sound then a repetitive whirring, then nothing. Oh dear. Not sure best approach now. I just put the scratch disk in my old chassis, boots up fine, so there was nothing wrong with the old chassis. Does this mean both my old disks with all the data on have both corrupted? Is there a way to boot from scratch and one of the old disks? Help getting really concerned now that I've last my data despite having two disks?
Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

RAID is not enough to protect your data (as you might have learned the hard way).

Try powering down, and booting up with only one of the two disks installed.  If that fails, try again with the other disk (again power down first).

If both fail, contact Netgear and ask about data recovery services.

Message 11 of 12
beaumonr
Aspirant

Strange I posted again last night after I had some success, but it hasn't appeared here.

So I found a couple of posts from someone else and ended up putting the second of the original disks in chassis, it did indeed boot up, in fact it booted up in both chassis. I then installed the new scratch disk it was recognised and appeared in raidar and after a couple of attempts it started to rebuild.

So in fact all I had was a single bad disk, what I find frustrating and was part of the reason I selected the Netgear in the first place is that the unit is supposed to continue to function if one disk fails and I should be able to hit swap, indeed it's also supposed to notify me via email of the failure. Neither of these things happened. The faulty disk prevented the boot, which prevented the NICS initializing and thus resulted in buying another chassis.

I will now set up the second chassis with two disks and back up one to another,

I feel a bit like I've been sold a car with an ice warning sensor only to find out it doesn't work when it's cold outside.

Thanks for your help Stephen it was actually one of your old posts that I found from 2 years ago.

Regards

Rob

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements