× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra 4 RNDU4000 - Cannot change settings, shares not working after restart.

Mlidman
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 4 RNDU4000 - Cannot change settings, shares not working after restart.

Could not registrer it. It's showing as "already registered"

Hi,

My Ready Nas has been serving for a couple of years day and night whithout any issues.
Suddenly I started to get error messages when I was going to access old saved photos. Like Cannot connect or something.
So I started to think that It's time to buy a backup disk to save all photos...
I restarted the ReadyNas to clear things up... I thought... which was a big mistake. After that I can log in to the management console if I restart th RN but cannot do any changes. And the shares are no longer reachable.

Saw a couple of others with similar problem and in thoose cases suport connected to their device and did som magic. They started up the RN in tech mode or something first. In that case the RN config file was corrupt.
I know that my box is quite old but I wonder if it is still possible for the support to access my box.
Or..

... ist there a way of removing the disks and plug into like a dumb USB disk chassi to save the data. Put the RN back to factory Default and put the disks back again.

/Michael

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 4 RNDU4000 - Cannot change settings, shares not working after restart.

Your 4GB root volume was filled with a 2.9GB log file for the Skifta add-on. That add-on hasn't worked for a long time now as the service has been shutdown.

The services file was corrupt so I put the default one back on. So services that were enabled may be disabled and vice versa. To use your add-ons you'll need to install them over the top of themselves.

I have removed the Skifta add-on and have rebooted the system.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 4 RNDU4000 - Cannot change settings, shares not working after restart.

It's registered to you but on a different email address. You bought this NAS over 4 and a half years ago.

The entire purpose of a factory reset is to wipe the disks, destroying all data, settings, everything. So removing the disks and then trying to do a factory reset won't work.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Mlidman wrote:

Serial# xxxxxxxxx (Could not registrer - "already registred")

Did you register it?  Or is the unit used? 

EDIT- mdgm already answered this (our posts crossed).

@Mlidman wrote:

...I can log in to the management console if I restart th RN but cannot do any changes. And the shares are no longer reachable. ...

I know that my box is quite old but I wonder if it is still possible for the support to access my box.

There are multiple possibilities, but my guess is that you have a full OS partition.

If you are the original purchaser, you can use paid support for this (my.netgear.com).  Ask about per-incident support.  

@Mlidman wrote:

... ist there a way of removing the disks and plug into like a dumb USB disk chassi to save the data. Put the RN back to factory Default and put the disks back again.

As mdgm says, this procedure wouldn't work.

At this point you'd need ssh access (and some knowledge of linux).  Before the lockup you could have created backup jobs that were tied to the backup button on the NAS which would have done backup up the NAS to an external USB drive.  But if settings aren't saved, you can't do that now (and it's possible that the backups would fail anyway if there is no room in the OS partition).

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your 4GB root volume was filled with a 2.9GB log file for the Skifta add-on. That add-on hasn't worked for a long time now as the service has been shutdown.

The services file was corrupt so I put the default one back on. So services that were enabled may be disabled and vice versa. To use your add-ons you'll need to install them over the top of themselves.

I have removed the Skifta add-on and have rebooted the system.

Message 4 of 6
Mlidman
Aspirant

Wow!! Are you for real!!   🙂

I'm soo impressed. 

.... tried it and it works!

Thank you sooo much!

Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements