× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 4 RNDU4000 - Cannot change settings, shares not working after restart.

greg_t
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 4 RNDU4000 - Cannot change settings, shares not working after restart.

My ReadyNAS Ultra4 (RNDU4000) died in a power outage.  The power supply appears to work, but the unit will not power up.  Just in case, I changed it out with a replacement (making the appropriate wiring changes to an ITX PS).  It still does not power up.

Any suggestions for a next step toward getting this running again?

If htis is not repairable, and I buy a diskless Ultra 4 Plus, can I just put the disks from this one into it to get access to my data? (My backups are old and I'd like to get the latest data if I can)

Model: ReadyNASRNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 4 RNDU4000 - Cannot change settings, shares not working after restart.

@greg_t wrote:

There's not much you can do other than the supply.  The memory and CPU can be replaced, but neither one seems likely to be the cause if the unit isn't responding at all.  

Are you getting any lights at all?

If htis is not repairable, and I buy a diskless Ultra 4 Plus, can I just put the disks from this one into it to get access to my data? (My backups are old and I'd like to get the latest data if I can)

Assuming that the failure didn't affect the RAID array...

If you get an x86 OS-6 ReadyNAS (RN300 or better), then you can temporarily mount your data volume in the new NAS (prior to the actual setup which reformats the drives).  So that is one option.  https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

You could also get a used OS 4.2 NAS (ultra, ultra plus, or pro), and simply migrate the disks.  Install a scratch disk first, and then match the firmware version of your old NAS (if you don't know it, just install the newest firmware).  Then power down, migrate the disks (preserving slot order if you can) and then power up.  One issue here is that anything replacement you find will be at least 5 years old. 

If you can connect the disks to a PC (either with a USB adapter/dock or sata), then it is possible to mount the array from linux.  Most PCs can be booted up with linux using a "live" linux boot disk.

If you're looking to replace the NAS, then the first option is probably the best one.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@greg_t wrote:

There's not much you can do other than the supply.  The memory and CPU can be replaced, but neither one seems likely to be the cause if the unit isn't responding at all.  

Are you getting any lights at all?

Assuming that the failure didn't affect the RAID array...

If you get an x86 OS-6 ReadyNAS (RN300 or better), then you can temporarily mount your data volume in the new NAS (prior to the actual setup which reformats the drives).  So that is one option.  https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

You could also get a used OS 4.2 NAS (ultra, ultra plus, or pro), and simply migrate the disks.  Install a scratch disk first, and then match the firmware version of your old NAS (if you don't know it, just install the newest firmware).  Then power down, migrate the disks (preserving slot order if you can) and then power up.  One issue here is that anything replacement you find will be at least 5 years old. 

If you can connect the disks to a PC (either with a USB adapter/dock or sata), then it is possible to mount the array from linux.  Most PCs can be booted up with linux using a "live" linux boot disk.

If you're looking to replace the NAS, then the first option is probably the best one.  

Message 2 of 3
greg_t
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.  I am getting no lights at all, so it sounds like a full-replacement is in order.  If I can get an inexpensive Ultra-4 box, I'll probably go that way.  If I have to live with my old backups, I will probably move to a different product.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements