× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 4 VPD Corrupt

JeremyP1
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 4 VPD Corrupt

Long story short... I corrupted the VPD.

When I boot into support mode, mount the OS partition, and run:

cat /sysroot/ramfs/.raid_mode_error_boot

I get "can't find xraid mode in vpd".

Can this be fixed without factory defaulting? My data is still intact (I've mounted /dev/md2 and checked.)

My last Crashplan backup of the NAS is 4 months old and I'd rather not factory default, shuffle data around, or try to download everything back from Crashplan's servers. If that's my only option than that's what I'll do, but if anyone knows how I can repair this. Please let me know how.

I've already tried the standard Reinstalling OS from boot menu and USB Boot Flashing.

Model: ReadyNASRNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only,RNDU4000|READYNAS ULTRA 4|EOL
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Replied to your PM.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

USB Boot Recovery only helps if the firmware on the flash is corrupt. This is seen in some rare cases when doing a factory default or if you can't boot the NAS into debug mode even with the disks removed. In all other cases it wouldn't help and if anything add an additional problem such as possibly corrupting the VPD.

Why did you do USB Boot Recovery?

I have sent you a PM.

Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Replied to your PM.

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Replied to your PM.

Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Oops Duplicate.

Message 5 of 6
JeremyP1
Aspirant

Here's the long story. Ran into dependency problems with apt-get (my fault). Got to the point where the NAS wouldn't boot into anything but support mode. I couldn't figure out a way around my problem in support mode so I factory defaulted with a single spare drive I had lying around. I tar.gz'd the OS partition on that drive and expanded back over the OS partion of my normal array. Still wouldn't boot. mdgm pointed out that that I merely extracted over the OS and didn't wipe it conpletely which would lose my config. I could deal with losing some of my configs so I deleted everything from the OS partion and expanded the OS I tar'd from the spare drive. System booted up fine with all data still intact. Uploaded the config backup I had from a few days ago through frontview and my users are back. I may have to restore some other stuff manually, I haven't checked yet, but the important part is the NAS is booting up with the same data partition. Exactly what I wanted.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements