× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra 6 Plus keeps rebooting randomly

StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 6 Plus keeps rebooting randomly

@Sandshark wrote:

How much RAM do you have?  If it's just the original 1GB, that could be an issue with OS6.

@niallryan - it would be useful to know how much RAM is running in the system. We've been recommending RAM upgrades as part of the conversion for quite a while now.

Message 26 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB 

Oh wasnt aware - how would I find out how much ram is in there ?

Regards

NJP

Message 27 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Oh wasnt aware - how would I find out how much ram is in there ?

Download the log zip file, and look in mem_info.log

MemTotal:        3937008 kB
MemFree:          157312 kB
MemAvailable:    2864144 kB

FWIW, this sample comes from a system with 4 GB.

Message 28 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB 

Cheers for that - yes I have 1GB

MemTotal: 1013444 kB
MemFree: 223840 kB
MemAvailable: 479000 kB

Regards

NJP

Just a side note - One of the ReadyNAS (RN104 - in another discussion) after replacing HDD in slot 3 just now has popped up slot 4 as degraded and this time it is just a black dot rather thana yellow next to it.

UPdate - apologies it is now yellow and has ATA count of 13 - wow !! It was fine all along - crazy to say the least - currently re-syncing

Message 29 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Cheers for that - yes I have 1GB

I suggest upgrading to at least 2 GB (4 GB should also be inexpensive if you have two memory slots).

Its important to make sure you get compatible RAM.  Searching the forum here can help (being careful on the model - ultra 6 is different from the ultra 6 plus), but another path is to open the chassis and look up the part number of the RAM you already have.

Compatible 4 GB sticks are hard to find (and very expensive).  So stick with 2 GB.

@niallryan wrote:

Just a side note - One of the ReadyNAS (RN104 - in another discussion) after replacing HDD in slot 3 just now has popped up slot 4 as degraded and this time it is just a black dot rather thana yellow next to it.

Update - apologies it is now yellow and has ATA count of 13 - wow !! It was fine all along - crazy to say the least - currently re-syncing

Ouch. Maybe run the disk test after the resync completes.

Message 30 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB 

The re-sync completed about 10 minutes ago and to my amazement all drives are healthy !!!!

I just dont; understand why this happend.Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 21.24.47.png

Message 31 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

The re-sync completed about 10 minutes ago and to my amazement all drives are healthy !!!!

I just dont; understand why this happend.

Me either.  Maybe run the disk test from the volume tab, just to be sure.

Message 32 of 89
Sandshark
Sensei

I agree.  A drive that is ejected from an array usually has something wrong with it, even if it's re-added and properly syncs.  If you can afford the time, powering down and testing that drive with the appropriate vendor tool (except don't do the write test) is also a good idea if the NAS disk test passes.

Message 33 of 89
niallryan
Guide

Hi @StephenB 

Apologies for lengthy delay in geting back to my issue but just to divert briefly on this note bout the RAM

How difficult is it to access the RAM 

Regards

Message 34 of 89
StephenB
Guru

Do you have the Ultra 6, or the Ultra 6 Plus?
Message 35 of 89
niallryan
Guide

Hi @StephenB 

many thanks for response

@StephenB wrote:

i actually have both so please send info for both if possible. 

MAny thanks

N

Message 36 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

i actually have both so please send info for both if possible. 

On the Ultra 6 Plus, you can access it easily if you remove the left side panel (facing the front of the NAS).

I don't own the the UItra, so I'm not sure how to access it.  Other posters here will hopefully chime in (I think @Sandshark knows).

Message 37 of 89
niallryan
Guide

I don't own the the UItra, so I'm not sure how to access it.  Other posters here will hopefully chime in (I think @Sandshark knows).

@Sandshark 

If you could I would be greatful.

Message 38 of 89
Sandshark
Sensei

The motherboard in the Ultra6 is inverted (I assume because it has no CPU fan, so the CPU heat sink needs to be in the path of the air flow), so it takes a bit more effort to get to the RAM.  But it's still not too bad.

Message 39 of 89
niallryan
Guide

Hi @Sandshark 

@Sandshark wrote:

The motherboard in the Ultra6 is inverted (I assume because it has no CPU fan, so the CPU heat sink needs to be in the path of the air flow), so it takes a bit more effort to get to the RAM.  But it's still not too bad.

Do I take it that it is difficult to access and upgrade the RAM ?

Also any advice on how to access the RAM on the Ultra6 would be greatful as I have 2 of them and also what is the max setup 8Gb (2 x 4GB)?

Regards

N

Message 40 of 89
niallryan
Guide

Hi @StephenB 

Thank you I was able to get the Ram currently in the Ultra6 Plus

It is a 1GB UNB PC2-6400 CL6

I have come across this and wondered if this would suffice for an upgrade :

V7 - DDR2 - kit - 4 GB: 2 x 2 GB - DIMM 240-pin - 800 MHz / PC2-6400 - unbuffered

Memory Type: DDR2 SDRAM - DIMM 240-pin
Upgrade Type: Generic
Data Integrity Check: Non-ECC
Speed: 800 MHz (PC2-6400)
Latency Timings: CL6
Features: Unbuffered

If this will be perfect then its not a bad result cost wise either for €30

Also on an additional note as initially this was all about the Ultra6 Plus rebooting randomly - When I re-inserted the RAM into the NAS and powered it back on - during the booting it got to 41% in the boot process and then powered off and restarted again - so maybe it is the power supply after all !! ?

Now if so where would I get a replacment power supply 😉

Regards

N
Message 41 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

V7 - DDR2 - kit - 4 GB: 2 x 2 GB - DIMM 240-pin - 800 MHz / PC2-6400 - unbuffered

Yes, that looks like it will work.

Message 42 of 89
Sandshark
Sensei

The power supply is an SFX format one, standard except the cable for the 24-pin connector is longer, so you'll need an extender for it.  Many current models also don't have the required 3 4-pin MOLEX connectors, so you may need a splitter and/or SATA to MOLEX adapter or two.  The stock supply is 300W, but has a higher rating on the 12V (which powers the drives) than most, so I recommend you go with at least 350W.

If you have a "spare" ATX supply, you can connect it externally and see if that fixes the problem before you spend money on a new supply and find that's not the problem.  If you plan to run it very long that way, use masking tape or similar to cover the power supply fan outlet and any gap where the cables come through so you get good air flow across the drives and motherboard.

Message 43 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@Sandshark 

Many thanks for that - appreciate it.

What about the RAM question I asked you. If you could please would be great.

Regards

N

Message 44 of 89
Sandshark
Sensei

I thought @StephenB answered that.  The RAM you listed should work in both the Ultra6 Plus and Ultra6.  It looks like you are purchasing new, based on the price.  That's extremely common RAM from back when a CORE2 processor was king, so it's available quite inexpensively on eBay.  The Ultra6 Plus can also take advantage of a lower CL, though the improvement isn't huge.  I don't think the Ultra6 would.

Message 45 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@Sandshark 

Apologies but we seemd to have crossed wires. I was asking you about the location of the RAM on the Ultra6 as @StephenB gave me the location of the Ultrs6 Plus. Also many thanks for stating that the RAM would do both the Ultra6 and Ultra6 Plus - I didn;t think it would do both but that makes things a lot easier.

Basically its about how to access the RAM on the uLtra6 and its location

Regards

N

Message 46 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Basically its about how to access the RAM on the uLtra6 and its location

This is all I was able to google:  https://www.storagereview.com/review/netgear-readynas-ultra-6-review-rndu6000

Basically, you need to remove the system board to reach the RAM.  The only tricky part is the comment "Just make sure you remember where the wires go, since none of them are keyed to give an indication of how they plug back in."

Message 47 of 89
Sandshark
Sensei

I guess my answer that "the motherboard is inverted" wasn't interpreted as I expected.  Yes, the component side on the Ultra6 (not Plus) faces inward, so it must be removed to get to the RAM slots.  But it is not a complicated process.

Message 48 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@Sandshark 

Many thanks - I don't know how I missed that 🙂

Regards

N

Message 49 of 89
niallryan
Guide

Good Morning

@StephenB 

@StephenB wrote:

@niallryan wrote:

Yes, that looks like it will work.

I ordered the above RAM and this morning this is what arrived

4GB KIT PC2-6400 128x8 240PIN DIM

Will this work and I presume the supplier sent the 4GB as did not have 2 x 2GB so would still have 1 slot free ?

Could I get another one of these 4GB DIM for the second slot giving me 8GB in total ?

And would work providing your answer to the first question is a YES 🙂 ?

And as in the conversation it was mention that the Ultra6 and Ultra6 Plus use the same ram then I can do the same with the other Ultra NAS's. ?

And finally with my RN104 - can I upgrade the RAM in that NAS. ?

Much appreciated as always.

Regards

N

Message 50 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 88 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements