× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra 6 Plus keeps rebooting randomly

StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 6 Plus keeps rebooting randomly

@niallryan wrote:

I ordered the above RAM and this morning this is what arrived

4GB KIT PC2-6400 128x8 240PIN DIM

Will this work and I presume the supplier sent the 4GB as did not have 2 x 2GB so would still have 1 slot free ?

Most 4 GB DIMs won't work, but you could try it in the Ultra-6 plus and see.  (I'm suggesting the plus, because it is a bit easier to install the RAM there).

My own Pro-6 does have 2x4 GB - I upgraded it some years back.  Finding compatible 4 GB DIMs isn't easy (and generally they are much more expensive than the 2 GB DIMs).  DDR2 is very old tech, and most PC chipsets back then weren't designed for 4 GB DIMs.

@niallryan wrote:

And finally with my RN104 - can I upgrade the RAM in that NAS. ?

No, the RAM is soldered to the system board.  Unfortunately the RN100 series only has 512 MB.  Netgear has had to reduce the functionality over the years to keep it working (most recently they disabled Antivirus on that platform).   All other OS-6 ReadyNAS have at least 2 GB.

Message 51 of 89
Sandshark
Sensei

If the RAM is labeled as 2Rx8, not 2Rx4, then it should work.  If it's not labeled as either, then just try it.

Message 52 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@Sandshark and @StephenB 

I removed the 1GB Stick fromslot 1 in the Ultra6 Plus and inserted the 4GB Stick again into Slot 1 (slot 2 is empty)

Started the Ultra6 Plus NAS and it booted up completely fine.

Then I downloaded the logs and opened the mem_info.log file to check the memory and the following was the result....

MemTotal: 2044076 kB
MemFree: 905108 kB
MemAvailable: 1598016 kB

Am I right in thinking that this is 2GB and not 4GB ??

Regards

N

Message 53 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Am I right in thinking that this is 2GB and not 4GB ??

Looks like it. 

Can you post a picture of the RAM DIM itself (showing the label)?

Message 54 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB 

Picture attached - the order was for 2 x 2GB sticks as previously posted and they send me this with the sticker on it saying 4GB

IMG_2317.jpg

Picture was taken when I recevied the packaging as I also purchased a WD Red Plus 4TB HDD - The White sticker was as is when the box was opened so I think I will be going back to the supplier with a complaint as it is obvious they either made a mistake or tried a quick one. Benefit of doubt will be a mistake of course 🙂

Regards

N

Message 55 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Picture attached - the order was for 2 x 2GB sticks as previously posted and they send me this with the sticker on it saying 4GB

The part number is for a kit (e.g, 2x2GB).  I am thinking you simply didn't get both the sticks you were supposed to get.  I suggest contacting the seller, and asking for the other stick.

Was this used memory, or new?  

Message 56 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB 

Purchased as new. Cost €30 for 2 x 2gb

regards

N

Message 57 of 89
Sandshark
Sensei

Or, alternately get a partial refund and add back the 1GB stick for a total of 3GB.  The NAS does not have dual-chanel RAM, so there is no gain from matching sticks.

Message 58 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@Sandshark 

@Sandshark wrote:

Or, alternately get a partial refund and add back the 1GB stick for a total of 3GB.  The NAS does not have dual-chanel RAM, so there is no gain from matching sticks.

Does that apply to Ultra6 also (not have dual-channel RAM) ?

Regards

N

Message 59 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

@Sandshark 

@Sandshark wrote:

Does that apply to Ultra6 also (not have dual-channel RAM) ?

Yes.

Message 60 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@Sandshark 

@StephenB wrote:

@niallryan wrote:

@Sandshark 

@Sandshark wrote:

Or, alternately get a partial refund

Oh I shall be contacting them by phone on Monday morning as closed at weekends

Will post outcome 😉

Regards and many thanks to all so far !!

N

By the way the Ultra6 Plus still reboots when transferring even with the RAM upgraded but it seems to be only when transferring. SO I think it may be one of the HDD's - so hard to tell for sure 🙂

Message 61 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB @Sandshark 

I am beginning to think with regards to the Ultra6 Plus rebooting when transferring as per earlier comments in this thread that it is indeed one of the HDD's and of course as with RAID 5 which (if I am right in thinking nayways) spreads data across the drives. 

There may be times that a transfer will complete without any reboot which would tell me that the data being moved was not stored on a hard drive that has issues. SO it would reboot only when there is data stored on the affected Hard drive.

So is there a way of knowing what data is on what drive ? (I know far reaching I suppose 🙂 )

Regards

N

Message 62 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

with RAID 5 which (if I am right in thinking nayways) spreads data across the drives. 

So is there a way of knowing what data is on what drive ? (I know far reaching I suppose 🙂 )

RAID-5 does spread the data (and the parity blocks) across all the disks.  This is organized so that it can recreate any disk from all the others.

I don't know of any good way to tell what data is on which drive (and of course you also want the parity blocks to be consistent with the data, otherwise RAID recovery would fail).

If a disk read or write is failing, you should see an error in the log zip file (system.log, kernel.log, and maybe system-journal.log).  But if the i/o causes the system to reboot, then you might not see anything.

One thing you could try is swapping all the disks between the Ultra Plus and one of the Ultras (preserving slot order).  Then see if the problem moves with the disks. 

Message 63 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB 

One thing you could try is swapping all the disks between the Ultra Plus and one of the Ultras (preserving slot order).  Then see if the problem moves with the disks. 

Are you saying by keeping hte disks in slot order from one NAS to the other (providing all on same OS) that no data would be lost and I could run it then to see if any issues ?? :0

Regards

N

Message 64 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Are you saying by keeping the disks in slot order from one NAS to the other (providing all on same OS) that no data would be lost and I could run it then to see if any issues ??

Yes.  The systems boot from the disks, and that is where all the settings, etc are.

Though ideally you do want them to all be running the same OS version.  When you boot an OS-6 ReadyNAS, the system checks to see if the version in the NAS flash is the same as the one on the disks.  If it's not, then the older version is updated (either the flash is used to update the disks, or the disks are used to update the flash).

Message 65 of 89
niallryan
Guide

Well hello again @StephenB , @Sandshark and @mdgm ,

Its been a while due to health issues again unfortunately. But I am back now and to bring oyu up to date.

I got on to the supplier of the RAM and they did indeed make a mistake in that it shold have been two sticks (a kit) - so the sent on the kit with two sticks and said to keep the single stick I initially recieved as a sign of goodwill. Very happy with the support and outcome of that.

Inserting the RAM Upgrade into the RN Ultra 6 (x 2) was not difficult at all and had them inserted and up and running.

Granted one of the NAS's (the one with 4 x 4TB WD Red HDD's) was having issues in booting up. It would startup and produce the READYNAS logo on the display and it would just stay like that. Upon presswing the power buttion once it would power off immediately. I press it again after a minute and it started up again with the READYNAS in the display and could see the system 'green' light flickering away and then stop and the READYNAS still displayed - so not getting to the drive count test as it would when booting.

I decided to check everything as regards to the RAM insertion to ensure everything was correct. Then re-conected the power and powered on - this time it booted completely and all was running.

On Monday last I re-booted this particular NAS as I do every now and again - and on of my HDD's failed and the NAS is degraded. The drive is in bay 3 and was purchased along with the drive in bay 4 back in November 2021. Disaster - anyways contact the supplier and awaiting replacement under warranty. The other issue has since returned and currently cannot get the NAS to fully boot up with degredation showing as it is constantly booting as far as the READYNAS displayed.

Any ideas what the cause of this could be ?

Regards

N

Message 66 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Any ideas what the cause of this could be ?

Of course disks can fail (even new ones) sometimes.  It'd be ideal if you could test them in a PC, just to check.  What errors (if any) are you seeing in the smart stats (and system.log, kernel.log)?

Also - are these WD Red drives (WD40EARX), or WD Red Plus drives (WD40EFRX)?  WD Red drives use SMR technology, which doesn't work that well in RAID arrays.

I don't think we 100% ruled out the possibility of a PSU issue - maybe @Sandshark can comment on that possibility.

Message 67 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

Of course disks can fail (even new ones) sometimes.  It'd be ideal if you could test them in a PC, just to check.  What errors (if any) are you seeing in the smart stats (and system.log, kernel.log)?

Yes I get that and thats unfortunate really

I can test them in a PC - which software is best to test with ?

Also - are these WD Red drives (WD40EARX), or WD Red Plus drives (WD40EFRX)?  WD Red drives use SMR technology, which doesn't work that well in RAID arrays.

This disk in particular is an WD Red Plus Drive (WD40EFZX) which was ok'd by yourselves after enquiring. 

I don't think we 100% ruled out the possibility of a PSU issue - maybe @Sandshark can comment on that possibility.

The PSU issues with my other NAS the RN Ultra 6 Plus

The issue with this RN Ultra 6 is a new issue - It just stays stuck on the READYNAS on the display

Regards

N

Message 68 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

I can test them in a PC - which software is best to test with ?

WD's dashboard program works (run the extended test).

@niallryan wrote:

The issue with this RN Ultra 6 is a new issue - It just stays stuck on the READYNAS on the display

Ok.  But often is what happens when the PSU fails (only providing power to the LCD display).

But that's not the only possible cause.

Message 69 of 89
Sandshark
Sensei

All the NAS needs to display "ReadyNAS" is 5V, and I don';t think that even has to be that well regulated.  The motherboard doesn't have to get past POST.  There is a VGA header on the motherboard, and gettiong the right cable to connect to it may help you see if it's getting past POST and, if it does, where it gets stuck.

The first thing you should check is that nothing came loose when you were in there putting in the RAM.

Other than that, the power supply is definately still in play.  If you have a "spare" ATXV12 power supply around, you can connect it externally and see if that fixes it before you invest in one that fits internally.

Message 70 of 89
niallryan
Guide

Hi there,

So here is the latest update....

As per previous (totaly unknown to me but thank you guys !) I powered down the RN Ultra6 (NAS 3) and powered down the RN Ultra6 Plus (NAS 4) which if you remember started my conversation thread as the NAS 4 was contantly randomly rebooting etc and we tried everything but no joy and we had left unanswered questions. Well, I removed the 3 x 3TB WD Reds from NAS 4 and kept there order and also removed the 4 x 4TB WD Reds from NAS 3 and again kept their order including the Bay 3 drive which has caused the degredation of NAS 3 and re-inserted in the same order into NAS 4. Now there was a FM update (thought they were all on 6.10.6 but unless it was due to the fact that they were in a RN Ultra6 and now in a RN Ultra 6 Plus ? - Anyway after the uodate and reboot of the NAS 4 with all the 4 x 4TB WD RED drives inserted the NAS booted up successfully and of course flashed the degraded message due to Bay 3 disk - which is fine as a new 4TB WD RED Plus drive on the way.

Logged into the NAS 4 from my Mac and transferring large files across and guess what - no issues in regards to the NAS itself randomly rebooting.

So with regards to the randomly rebooting of NAS 4 before it seems one of the suggestions by you guys was spot on in that it must be one of the WD RED drives - now this will be confirmed when I get NAS 3 fixed - I wil put the 3 x 3TB WD RED drives into the NAS 3 in the same correct order and hopefully (1) it will begin to boot - should be no firmware update AND (2) if it and I think it will fail to fully boot and just get the READYNAS showing on the diaply would confirm that the issue is the PSU as stated.

Please add or correct any info/conclusions I have made and would be greatly as always appreciated.

Regards

N

Message 71 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB , @Sandshark & @mdgm 

Hi guys, just in addition to my previous post (last updated) I have just had the NAS 4 web page reset on me but yet it did not reboot the NAS at all. When the Web page reset it gives the same screen as the NAS rebooting as in the long blue loading bar appears. When it finished it allows me to log in again as normal. This is the first time I have seen this happen (but it may be because the NAS is degraded). When I logged in I went to the logs and there it was.....

Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 11.39.26.png

I also have noticed that something is triggering at 1 am every day as I see the yellow dot showing Volume: Volume Niall is Degraded.

The new WD RED Plus 4TB should be arriving today.

Just to refresh my memory - do I just replace the dead drive (bay 3) with the replacment drive while the NAS is runing or do I power down and replace and then boot up ?

Also currently am I ok in continuing to add files to the NAS while it is degraded and all will continue as normal ?

Regards

N

Message 72 of 89
StephenB
Guru

There are some functions that happen automatically at 1 am (including smart snapshots), so I think getting a repeat of the degraded volume notification then is normal.

There is a timeout on the web admin page, and I have sometimes seen a similar blue bar for a bit when logging in again.  Do you have disk spindown enabled?  That could account for it.

@niallryan wrote:

Just to refresh my memory - do I just replace the dead drive (bay 3) with the replacment drive while the NAS is runing or do I power down and replace and then boot up ?

Yes.  Hot-inserting into bay 3 is the correct procedure.  The system will do a short self test of the drive.  Then if the drive is blank (unformatted) it will be automatically added.  Otherwise, you will need to select the drive and format it from the admin web ui.

Personally I test the drives in a PC before I add them - just to make sure I received a good drive with no damage due to shipment.  Generally I do the full generic (read) test, followed by a full erase test.  Though the erase test requires the old WDC lifeguard diagnostic, as the newer WDC dashboard software doesn't have it. 

Message 73 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB 

Update - I am still awaiting on the replacement 4TB WD Red Plus drive but should arrive the next day or so. I had another purchased and used that as the replacement and everything back up and running.

So I swapped all the HD's from NAS 3 to NAS 4 as I may have said and apart from a short firmware update all running very well and NO reboot from NAS 4 since - suggesting that maybe one of the 4 x 3TB WD Reds are acting up BUT yet since I put them into the NAS 3 no issues at all with reboots or anything which really does confuse things entirely.

So NAS 3 and NAS 4 are running great BUT now as NAS 3 has all the 4 x 3TB WD Reds and is empty due to moving all the data from a folder on NAS 3 to NAS 4 - I then wanted to move all the DATA from NAS 1 (RN104 with 4 x 4TB WD REDs) but for some reason the backup feature is failing !! I just cannot see where the issue is. Any questions on this please feel free and thanks again in advance.

Now I do have a new problem with NAS 2 (Ultra 6 with 6 x 4TB Enterprise HDs) where everything works correctly and access is good and no issues with data - all there. Just the problem seems to be an app which is installed on this NAS (same app that has always been there and is on all the other NAS's called Plex) -the app shows as running eg in the APP tab on NAS is showing as ON but yet when using the Plex app on the TV it shows as no connection or cannot find the server. This only happened on Saturday night. I have rebooted via Web App several times and even shutdown the NAS and then rebooted - everything runs normally but still the Plex app cannot find the Plex server on that NAS even though the Plex Server App on that NAS is running -also updated the App on the NAS server as an update was available but still no joy. Again any questions on this would be greatful. Are there logs that could tell me something about this.

Regards

N

Message 74 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

So NAS 3 and NAS 4 are running great BUT now as NAS 3 has all the 4 x 3TB WD Reds and is empty due to moving all the data from a folder on NAS 3 to NAS 4 - I then wanted to move all the DATA from NAS 1 (RN104 with 4 x 4TB WD REDs) but for some reason the backup feature is failing !! I just cannot see where the issue is. Any questions on this please feel free and thanks again in advance.

This is with a ReadyNAS backup job?  Are you using rsync, or something else?  

Also, when you say it is empty - do you mean no shares?  Or have you created a share(s), but they remain empty after the backup completes.

@niallryan wrote:

Just the problem seems to be an app which is installed on this NAS (same app that has always been there and is on all the other NAS's called Plex) -the app shows as running eg in the APP tab on NAS is showing as ON but yet when using the Plex app on the TV it shows as no connection or cannot find the server.

When you launch the app from the apps page, are you seeing it open up to the expected plex server page?

Message 75 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 88 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements