× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra 6 Plus keeps rebooting randomly

niallryan
Guide

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 6 Plus keeps rebooting randomly

Hi @StephenB 

Apologies as couldn't reply until now.

This is with a ReadyNAS backup job?  Are you using rsync, or something else?  

Yes ReadyNAS Backup job - No settings were changed - just the folder source and destination and yes using rsync. I checked the backup log and this is the information.

Backup Job Name: TV_Shows
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: rsync
Backup Source: [TVShows]/White Collar
Backup Destination: [remote:rsync]/192.168.1.160::TV_Shows_Temp
Backup Start Time: Sat Mar 12 2022 10:27:38 AM
Backup Finish Time: Sat Mar 12 2022 10:27:42 AM
Backup Status: Fail: Failure during copy.

Failed to run rsync, return rc 10

sending incremental file list
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(794) [sender=3.1.3]

File Access has not changed and is allowed as admin and network same

The source folder has data and the destination used to have data but I moved this to another NAS using the backup job feature and then deleted the data in the destination folder once it was moved - so the folder TV_Shows_Temp is now empty and there is no other data on this NAS - I also deleted all the snapshots on the destination NAS as no longer required (just in case this was causing the issue) - Thanks

When you launch the app from the apps page, are you seeing it open up to the expected plex server page?

When I click on the Launch button from the web app of this NAS it opens a new web tab (as expected) and attempts to connect and then get the following message...

Safari Can't Connect to the Server

Safari can't open the page "192.168.1.106:32400/web" because Safari can't connect to the server "192.168.1.106"

Was working perfectly for years up to last Saturday evening.

Regards

N

Message 76 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Hi @StephenB 

Apologies as couldn't reply until now.

This is with a ReadyNAS backup job?  Are you using rsync, or something else?  

Yes ReadyNAS Backup job - No settings were changed - just the folder source and destination and yes using rsync. I checked the backup log and this is the information.

Backup Job Name: TV_Shows
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: rsync
Backup Source: [TVShows]/White Collar
Backup Destination: [remote:rsync]/192.168.1.160::TV_Shows_Temp
Backup Start Time: Sat Mar 12 2022 10:27:38 AM
Backup Finish Time: Sat Mar 12 2022 10:27:42 AM
Backup Status: Fail: Failure during copy.

Failed to run rsync, return rc 10

sending incremental file list
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(794) [sender=3.1.3]

Is rsync enabled on the destination share?  Generally this return code means that rsync isn't running on the server.

@niallryan wrote:

When you launch the app from the apps page, are you seeing it open up to the expected plex server page?

When I click on the Launch button from the web app of this NAS it opens a new web tab (as expected) and attempts to connect and then get the following message...

Safari Can't Connect to the Server

Safari can't open the page "192.168.1.106:32400/web" because Safari can't connect to the server "192.168.1.106"

It stopped working when you upgraded to 6.10.7?  If so, you could try downgrading to what you were running before (assuming it was 6.10.x).

FWIW, I've seen one other post here from someone having a problem installing plex on a 6.10.7 system.  No idea if Netgear is looking at this or not - perhaps @Marc_V or @JeraldM will comment.

Message 77 of 89
niallryan
Guide

hi @StephenB 

Many thanks for the response.

Is rsync enabled on the destination share?  Generally this return code means that rsync isn't running on the server.

Rsync is enabled on the destination NAS (as all the 4 NAS servers are)

The only change in the scenario is that the 4 x 3TB WD Red drives were initially installed and running in the NAS4 which is a ReadyNas Ultra 6 Plus are now in the NAS3 ReadyNas Ultra 6. I agree with you is saying the issue is on the destination NAS as I have tried to move a file from NAS4 to NAS3 and same issue with same error in log file. It's very strange unless like I said there is a difference between the Ultra6 Plus and Ultra 6.

What I am going to do now is to toggle the Rsync OFF and then back ON again to see if that makes a difference.

It stopped working when you upgraded to 6.10.7?  If so, you could try downgrading to what you were running before (assuming it was 6.10.x).

Well I am a bit lucky then as all my NAS's are on 6.10.6 as I tend to wait a while before upgrading to the newer OS version until I am sure that no unexpected issues raised by any have indeed arisen.

So I don't know what the problem is with the Plex app on OS 6.10.6 that is working on the other 3 NAS's but not this one since Saturday. Are there logs that may indicate the issue ?

Regards

N

Message 78 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

What I am going to do now is to toggle the Rsync OFF and then back ON again to see if that makes a difference.

Check the share settings also, and make sure rsync is still enabled for read/write on the destination share.

@niallryan wrote:

Are there logs that may indicate the issue ?

Likely yes, but it's not a problem I've run into, and doubt I can help much.

apt-history, app-install, dpkg.log are reasonable places to start.

Message 79 of 89
niallryan
Guide

HI @StephenB 

I am struggling to find a resolution with this current problem my NAS with the Plex Server App installed and up to date. While all data etc is on the NAS and the App Server itself is ON and updated it seems to be the App is not able to connect or be connected to the relevant Plex Apps on devices.

@Marc_V or @JeraldM - if you have the time is there anything that can be checked to see where the issue my be in the logs. I am including the logs listed by @StephenB to look at, huge thanks in advance.

Regards

N

Update - I cannot seem to add the logs as an attachment - says jpg, gif, png, pdf only

Message 80 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Update - I cannot seem to add the logs as an attachment - says jpg, gif, png, pdf only

The best option is to put the full log zip into cloud storage.  Then send a link to the mods in a private message - don't post it publicly.

Message 81 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB 

Ok, thanks but I would prefer to receive an acknowledgment from the guys rather than just dumping the link to them as a PM without them knowing first. Its the decent thing to do 🙂

@Marc_V or @JeraldM 

Regards

N

Message 82 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Ok, thanks but I would prefer to receive an acknowledgment from the guys rather than just dumping the link to them as a PM without them knowing first. Its the decent thing to do 🙂

agreed.

Message 83 of 89
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB 

Good morning, just wondering if you know are @Marc_V or @JeraldM ever on here as I haven't seen them. Understand if busy but surely some acknowledgement would have been shown considering they have been tagged. (Apologies if seeming pushy but I am now at the end of the barrel and finding it very frustrating that it is not working.)

I have also checked my router settings with NAT forwarding and all is perfect (considering the other NAS's are operating) and also changed the ethernet socket on this NAS but same issue.

This is me reaching out to @Marc_V or @JeraldM for help or guidance.

Regards

N

Message 84 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Good morning, just wondering if you know are @Marc_V or @JeraldM ever on here as I haven't seen them.

Both posted in the community forum last week.

Message 85 of 89
niallryan
Guide

Hi @StephenB 

I have created a new discussion with regards to the App not working etc. many thanks for the support given for that.

Back to the initial Subject of this discussion where I had the ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus rebooting at different times. If you look back it seemed to have been resolved when I removed the HD's from it and replaced it with all the HD's from another ReadyNAS Ultra 6 and all seemed fine - well that was until the other day when it wold reboot when transferring data to the HD's.

Last night (my time) it did it again and when it reboots it re-syncs the data (which was each time by the way) but now this morning we have a new issue or may very well be relevant to the rebooting as may have also been stated way back in the discussion - the system fan is now showing as a RED DOT and status "Fan system is not working".

This showing as a yellow band at the top of the screen now..

"Fan system in enclosure Internal Speed is below threshold (0 rpm)"

Looks like all my luck is running out with each ReadyNAS Unit

I now have some issue with all the ReadyNAS Ultra's

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 (1) - App running but unable to be connected

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 (2) - Running the Backup from the RN104 to this particular NAS is failing

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus (3) - System Fan is not working

I am wrecked with it.

Can I move all the HD's from (3) keeping order and put them back into number (2) where they were originally and all will work fine ? Just that the HD's currently in NAS (2) used to be in NAS (3) and working fine as in able to backup to them.

Secondly, any information to acquiring a replacement system fan ? Details ? Spec etc - would be grateful 

Regards

N

Message 86 of 89
niallryan
Guide

Hi again @StephenB 

I am totally confused. I went to the location of where the NAS's are kept (a very cool environment) because the System Temp had risen to 45ºC to investigate the Fan issue. I realised when I looked at that particular NAS that this is the one where I replaced the System Fan with a new one recommended here. So I shut down the NAS left it for about 30 seconds and powered it back up and low and behold the fan is working again. So its not the FAN itself is the issue - any suggestions - possibly something to do with thermal paste ?

The system temp is back to a more normal 35ºC - CPU temp is steady at 37ºC.

Any further recommendations etc greatly welcomed as you know.

Regards

N

Message 87 of 89
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 (2) - Running the Backup from the RN104 to this particular NAS is failing

There should be more info in the backup logs that would help us figure this out.  So maybe start there.

@niallryan wrote:

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus (3) - System Fan is not working

Maybe @Sandshark will have some thoughts here.

I think I'd keep an eye on it for a bit, and see if it recurs.  There shouldn't be any thermal paste on the system fan (only a CPU cooler would have that).  I guess it could be an early fan failure, but it might just be a glitch of some kind.

Message 88 of 89
Sandshark
Sensei

Some replacement fans have a higher minimum speed than the stock one.  So if the OS tries to drop the speed down too far, it quits, and it will often not start back up until the temperature gets pretty high because it takes a lot to kick-start it (the reason they always start at full blast at power-on).  Switching the cooling setting to "cool" may be all that's necessary.  Otherwise, there is a setting for the minimum that you can change via SSH.  I just don't recall off hand where it is.

Message 89 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 88 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements