× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra 6 stuck on READYNAS logo

niallryan
Guide

ReadyNas Ultra 6 stuck on READYNAS logo

Hi all, hope everyone is well.

I was working on my readynas Ultra 6 Pro the other night by scheduling maintenance - Defrag, Balance and Scrub. I has set up the schedule for the 28th of every month at night. While I was setting them up I had them all set to DISABLED - At least I thought I had. As when the 28th came around while watching a movie using Plex app it suddenly froze and the buffering circle was in the middle of my TV. I found it strange obviously as I never have any issues. I went and had a look at the NAS only to see it saying Scrub and 18% completed - I forgot to DISABLE the Scrub option when setting it up and it starting at 6pm.

So I left it continue as I was unsure if I should stop it. Eventually 2 days later It completed (which was this evening).

While I was updating files on my other NAS Ultra 6 Pro I decided to log into the NAS via web UI but it was taking an age. While I left it to see how long it would load I decided to access the directory via Finder on my MAC and that took a while but eventually all files were there. The Web UI was still loading....

I then decided to power down the NAS (pressing the power button 5 times) it showed 'Powering down ..... Goodbye'

While I carried on working on the other NAS - I noticed after about 20 mins that the 'Powering down ..... Goodbye' was still on the NAS display.

Thinking it was stuck I went and pressed the power button to power it off. Waited 30 seconds or so and powered it back on.

It powered on and showed the READYNAS logo and has been like this now for about an hour.

Help please - what's after happening ?

Regards

N

Message 1 of 37
niallryan
Guide

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 6 stuck on READYNAS logo

Hi again, just to add - this morning I powered it on again and again stuck on READYNAS logo but I can hear the drives starting up etc.

Really could do with some help please.

Regards

N

Message 2 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Hi again, just to add - this morning I powered it on again and again stuck on READYNAS logo but I can hear the drives starting up etc.

Does RAIDar give you any useful status?

If you power down the NAS and remove the drives, do you see a "no disks" status on the LCD?

• (label the drives by slot as you remove them)
Message 3 of 37
Sandshark
Sensei

ReadyNAS is the default built into the display (well, likely in some sort of flash memory), and all it takes is 5V (and not even well regulated 5V) to display that.  The most likely candidate for your issue is the power supply, especially since you had the shut-down issue as well as a start-up one.  Specifically, it's probably the +5VSB (+5 volt standby), which is always on (even when the NAS is "off", as are the fans).  But it, alone, cannot be fixed.  If you have a "spare" ATX12V supply, you can hook it up externally just to see if that's the cause before investing in a replacement supply.  Replacement supplies are available on eBay. 

FYI, it's not likely something you did, the power cycle just enunciated a problem that had been getting worse.  The NAS is well-built, but the power supply (same as used in some small form factor PC's) just won't last forever is is the usual first casualty.

Message 4 of 37
niallryan
Guide

Hi SteohenB,

I decided to take the drives out as you stated and turned on the NAS. Yes it booted after a min. Then went through booting for 2 mins approx and eventually after about 5 mins it settled saying that it is in safe mode and it looks as though it updated the OS itself without being told to do so. That’s if 6.10.8 is the current version.
But at least we know now it is not the PU. I’m hoping being in safe mode is due to no disks?!
So when I tap the power button to see the display it says in top line…

nas-EA-D0-16
local ipaddress

What is the situation based on that I ask ?

Regards
N
Message 5 of 37
niallryan
Guide

Hi Sandshark,

As you can see I replied to StephenB’s post as his suggestion was what I was experiencing except for it saying no disks.
Message 6 of 37
niallryan
Guide

Hi again StephenB,

Just also to add if the OS version is showing 6.10.8 and I did not ask it to update maybe this is the issue where it is corrupt ?

The version it was on by my decision was 6.10.6 as the other NAS's are all 6.10.6

Regards

N

Message 7 of 37
Sandshark
Sensei

I have previously found that booting a legacy NAS running OS6 while connected to the internet can automatically update the OS, though I thought it could only do so with a blank drive installed.  I reported here that it happened and was told that wasn't possible.  I even duplicated it and was told the same, so I stopped trying to convince anyone that they were dead wrong.

That your NAS boots with a much lower load than with drives does not prove the power supply is OK, but it does reduce the likelihood.  What happens if you put the drives from that NAS in your other one?  If you get a similar issue, then you likely have a corrupt OS partition and an OS re-install may fix it.

Message 8 of 37
niallryan
Guide

@Sandshark @StephenB 

Hi @Sandshark 

Wow! I had not realised that was possible but have taken that on board and it is what it is in my case 6.10.8 seems to be on the NAS in question. I will certainly insert the 6 4TB HDD's into one of the other NAS's to see what happens.

If it is the case that the OS is corrupt and I would have to re-install the OS I presume [1] I cannot re-install 6.10.6 as this is what was on it and [2] how do I go about re-install the OS and do I lose any data ?

As a side note - while I was running 6.10.6 and never attempted the update as I always leave it a good while before doing so in order to ensure that the update is good with no issues, I would think that the reason for it updating itself without instruction was due to the scrub doing its clean but also updates after checking OS version as part of maintenance possibly?!

Regards

N

Message 9 of 37
StephenB
Guru

You can easily downgrade back to 6.10.6 if you want to.  No need to worry about that now.

Testing the disks makes sense as a next step - either putting them in another OS 6 NAS if you have one, or connecting them to a PC and using vendor tools.

As @Sandshark says, we haven't ruled out the power supply as the problem.

Message 10 of 37
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB @Sandshark 

Hi @StephenB 

Yes of course. Going to insert to another Gas of exact same spec to see.

I certainly hope if there is to be an issue other than OS corruption that it is power supply rather than disks.

Regards

N

Message 11 of 37
niallryan
Guide

@Sandshark @StephenB 

Hi guys,

I put the 6 x 4TB HDD's in the same order into the other NAS of the exact same spec and I get the same result.

Then READYNAS Logo and nothing else.

I do have another NAS (ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Pro) and I put the disks into that and turned it on. The READY NAS Logo appears and it goes through the motions where the 6 drives appear on the left of the display and the Booting.... and under that is the % booted. It gets to about 30-39% and then powers off and restarts again.

Now to be fair if this has anything to do with this particular NAS is that it has not been turned on for some time - 6 months at least. When it was turned on with these drives in it , it was powering like revs and going off and then powering on again and then off and so on for a while before it eventually kicked on with the readynas logo.

Regards

N

Message 12 of 37
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB @Sandshark 

Hi there,

While I am waiting for response on last 2 posts I said I would put the HDD's from the working NAS and put them into the NAS that I had my movies.

Powered it on and all working with these drives inserted. AND version 6.10.8 running as stated the other day.

So this tells me that the issue is on the drives themselves as not able to boot ? Possible corruption somewhere ?

Currently these drives with my movies on them are on the known to be working NAS which would have OS 6.10.6

So with all the information to hand what do I need to do to resolve the HDD issue? NO drives are reporting to be faulty thank god but more of a booting issue I hope/think.

Kindest Regards 

N

Message 13 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

So this tells me that the issue is on the drives themselves as not able to boot ? Possible corruption somewhere ?

Currently these drives with my movies on them are on the known to be working NAS which would have OS 6.10.6

I think the next step is to test the drives - best done in a PC using vendor tools.  Seatools for Seagate, and WD's dashboard software for Western Digital.   I suggest running the full non-destructive test.

Another option would be to try and boot the system in tech support mode - that would require some linux skills.  I don't recall - is that something you've done before?

Message 14 of 37
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB @Sandshark 

Hi @StephenB

Unfortunately I am all Apple based equipment.

Also I have no linux skills at all 😞

Doesn't the Tech Support Mode give you access via a pin or something ?

Regards

N

Message 15 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Doesn't the Tech Support Mode give you access via a pin or something ?

It would allow you to use the linux command line to explore what is going on and perhaps fix it.

Message 16 of 37
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB @Sandshark 

Good morning @StephenB 

ok, but I would have absolutely no idea as to what to look for. Can you guide me on first getting into Tech Support Mode and then what I can send to ye from what I have on screen etc ?

I am at a total loss from here.

Kindest regards

N

Message 17 of 37
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB @Sandshark 

Hi again guys,

I suffer from brain fog so forgive me as I just looked up how to put the NAS into Tech Support Mode and will do so shortly. If any of you can have a look I would be greatly appreciative. Not having a great week with lots going pear shaped on me.

Many thanks

N

Message 18 of 37
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB @Sandshark 

Hi guys,

Feeling pretty grim now. Tried to enter menu mode as instructed but it does not happen. It just continues with ReadyNAS logo. I noticed that the internet does not even light up but that probably down to the priority of the booting up and would come on if the NAS continued.

Either way I am at a loss now and fairly worried about my data (approx 10TB).

Is there any way to check the disk other than with a PC - is there Mac M2 software ?

Regards

N

Message 19 of 37
StephenB
Guru

Overall, I am guessing that you have two issues - I am thinking that

• the power supply in the ultra 6 failed, perhaps due to the extended scrub
  • Likely a disk is failing (which was why the scrub took so long). 

The power supply in the Ultra 6 can be replaced.

@niallryan wrote:

Is there any way to check the disk other than with a PC - is there Mac M2 software ?

There might be some diags available that could run on the mac. I don't own a mac, and it's not something I've researched,

@niallryan wrote:

Either way I am at a loss now and fairly worried about my data (approx 10TB).

Unforunately, it is at risk.  RAID isn't enough to keep it safe, you really need a backup plan to do that.   Hopefully we can recover it.

One option (likely expensive) is for you to locate data recovery service that can off-load the data on the disks to USB drives for you.  That would be the lowest-risk next step.

There might also be a PC shop nearby that could test the drives for you. If you can identify one that is misbehaving, then you could install the other 5 in the Pro 6, which could get you past the startup problem there.  After that back up the data.

I'm hesitant to pursue the tech support idea.  While booting in tech support mode would let Netgear access the system remotely, it wouldn't let @Sandshark or me  do that.  You'd have to log into the NAS with telnet and run the linux commands yourself.  It'd be difficult to provide much guidance here on the commands, and if you were to make a mistake you could make the data unrecoverable. 

Message 20 of 37
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB @Sandshark 

Hi @StephenB 

Many thanks for coming back and I was thinking that its at risk.

@StephenB wrote:

Overall, I am guessing that you have two issues - I am thinking that

• the power supply in the ultra 6 failed, perhaps due to the extended scrub
  • Likely a disk is failing (which was why the scrub took so long). 

The power supply in the Ultra 6 can be replaced.

I thinking that the power supply is fine as it is currently running as normal with the HDD's I swapped with the issued HDD's. Basically I swapped NAS's between each set of Drives. The NAS which had the drives when Scrubbing is now running normally with other HDD's inserted - no issues.

So basically it must be a disk failing in some way. I can get a Windows laptop - Obviously I have the HDD's labelled 1,2,3,4,5 & 6 - so using a HDD cradle connected to the PC and run the software you suggested to test the drives.

If its only one drive (fingers crossed) that is faulty and as I am running RAID5 on all NAS's I could just replace that drive and rescue data.

The drives in this particular NAS with the issue are IronWolf (I think) so would have to get same as replacement if that's the root we are taken.

All my other NAS drives I have WD Red HDD's.

Also the reason that the PU must be ok is that I have the drives in another NAS and get the same response. The only NAS I got a different response was the Ultra 6 Pro which booted up to the % booting and getting to 39% before shutting down and re-starting. I wonder if I should try that again to see if it boots up now that that NAS has been running for 24 hours as was not used for sometime before that.

Regards

N

Message 21 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

The drives in this particular NAS with the issue are IronWolf (I think) so would have to get same as replacement

The current WD Red drives are all SMR (shingled magnetic recording) - which is not a good technology choice for ReadyNAS.  The WD Red Plus disks are good choices.

You can mix and match. Most of my disks are WD Red Plus (though many were branded as WD Red at the time of purchase), but I have mixed in some Ironwolf.  I've found them both to be pretty reliable. Currently I compare Ironwolf and WD Red Plus prices, and get whichever is cheapest.  

@niallryan wrote:

I thinking that the power supply is fine as it is currently running as normal with the HDD's I swapped with the issued HDD's. Basically I swapped NAS's between each set of Drives. The NAS which had the drives when Scrubbing is now running normally with other HDD's inserted - no issues.

Ok, I must have missed that.  Obviously let the scrubbing complete on that NAS.

@niallryan wrote:

The only NAS I got a different response was the Ultra 6 Pro which booted up to the % booting and getting to 39% before shutting down and re-starting. I wonder if I should try that again to see if it boots up now that that NAS has been running for 24 hours as was not used for sometime before that.

I don't think that will work.  You could try the boot option to skip the file system check - but I am not sure if OS-6 will pay any attention to that boot option (as it doesn't exist on the newer NAS).

FWIW, the OS-6 NAS have a "read-only" boot option instead, which would have allowed for some more experimentation.  But not the Ultra and Pro ReadyNAS.

Message 22 of 37
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB @Sandshark 

Hi @StephenB 

I was reading back over to see if I read something you said correctly and it made me think....

@StephenB wrote:

There might also be a PC shop nearby that could test the drives for you. If you can identify one that is misbehaving, then you could install the other 5 in the Pro 6, which could get you past the startup problem there. 

Is the following possible or maybe I am reading your above statement slightly extended 🙂

Insert all 6 HDD's in the correct order. Them remove one HDD at a time and boot up. eg Remove HDD 1 from slot 1 and boot up and see if this gets me past the Hanging Logo and if not then re-insert HDD 1 and remove HDD 2 and so on. ?

OR

Is what you mean that in testing each HDD that I find the faulty 1 and insert the remaining 5 and boot = do I insert the remaining 5 in to their original slots ? or insert remaining 5 into slots 1 to 5 ?

Granted I am inclined to go with the former thinking as I presume that all HDD's must be in their original slots for it to work

Regards

N

Message 23 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

I presume that all HDD's must be in their original slots for it to work

The NAS should assemble them in any order.  However, it is easier to troubleshoot problems if you know the original slot order.  

@niallryan wrote:

Insert all 6 HDD's in the correct order. Them remove one HDD at a time and boot up. eg Remove HDD 1 from slot 1 and boot up and see if this gets me past the Hanging Logo and if not then re-insert HDD 1 and remove HDD 2 and so on. ?

I was actually thinking that if you knew for sure which disk was bad, then you could just boot up the NAS w/o it.

Your idea would be safe in a a native OS-6 NAS because you can boot up those NAS read-only.  If somehow the NAS did write something with only 5 disks installed, then the data volume would be out-of-sync.  Repeating this several times could increase the risk of data loss.

So there would be some risk with your idea.  It might turn out to be the only practical option, but it'd be good to expllore other possibilities first.

Message 24 of 37
niallryan
Guide

Hi @StephenB and @Sandshark 

Its been a few weeks but had a lot going on and got back to this issue and managed to get a windows pc and downloaded and installed the software you recommended to test the HDD's (also to note there is a Mac version 🙂 )

Anyways I started with the Seagate software and ran the Long Test (no mention of destructive btw). So the following is the results with this software up to present time.

HDD 1 - Passed

HDD 2 - Passed

HDD 3 - Passed

HDD 4 - Passed

HDD 5 - Currently testing

HDD 6 - Immediately Failed

In case you're wondering how I know this.... lol - I could not unscrew HDD 5 from the cradle (well 1 crew in particular) so jumped to HDD 6 as it takes about 12-14 hours to test a drive.

When I inserted the drive into the caddy and turned it on the software immediately came up with the exclamation mark and when I tried all the various tests it failed after about 5-10 seconds of starting.

I am just wondering - there is a Fix All option in the software - any good to run this with that drive ? or would it destroy the data on it eg (RAID5 system)

Also, If this being the issue (fingers crossed) can I boot up the NAS with just the 5 HDD's in it or should I wait until I get a replacement drive.

Many thanks

N

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements