× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra bricked after failed ubuntu installation

kaspar
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra bricked after failed ubuntu installation

Against all advice I decided to install Ubuntu 14.04 on my ReadyNas Ultra 2. After an initial struggle, the installation was complete and everything was working fine. That is until I decided to upgrade to 16.04. During the installation, the /boot partition (which sits on the internal flash drive on /dev/sda) got filled up and ran out of space for the required kernel images, the installation failed and the OS refused to boot. To make matters worse the recovery partition was overwritten.

The output I can see via serial is garbage and I can't write anything. I've tried the USB recovery method but it was unsuccessful. At this point I have given up on my data but I was hoping someone would have an idea to get the device out of this bricked state. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP200U|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas Ultra bricked after failed ubuntu installation

I've sent you a PM.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
kaspar
Aspirant

Anyone?

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

The ReadyNAS is quite particular about the USB flash drives it supports for USB recovery.  The only advice I can give is to try other devices -- the older the better.

But the unit serial number and possibly other things important to run the Netgear software are also in flash.  So there may be no recovery.

Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've sent you a PM.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements