× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas btrfs subvol

SCUBAInstructor
Aspirant

ReadyNas btrfs subvol

Hi

I would like to create a folder next to this one:

/dev/md127 on /apps type btrfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,nospace_cache,subvolid=259,subvol=/.apps)

I can create it like this on the volume:

btrfs subvolume create .runtimes

How to I presistently map it like the /apps above?

Best Regards

Jochen

Model: RDD516|ReadyDATA 516 Diskless Chassis
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
SCUBAInstructor
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas btrfs subvol

You are right, the mount is not permanent.

I have added the below to /etc/fstab:

UUID=subvolUUID /runtimes btrfs  defaults,subvolid=myID 1 1

My folder is properly mounted on boot.

Confusing Netgear support is not really my concern. I understand that Netgear only wants to support standard systems.

My device was initially a RDD516 (16 GB RAM). I have changed the DMI (amidedos) so it identifies itself as RN516 and installed ReadyNAS. I have upgraded the CPU to i7-3770K 3.5GHz and installed a X540-T2 10Gigabit 10GBe 10Gbit Dual Port network card. I am running Glassfish, mysql, java11 and some other things to unleash the full potential of that box. Next step is to change disks step by step (higher capacity).

Moving things to /apps folder is a good alternative though.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

The answer is to put an entry into fstab, but why do you want to create an invisible subvolume and then map it to something visible instead of just creating a standard share?  You would have no access to it in the GUI.  Standard shares are already subvolumes, and you can control access via the GUI.

You may also be able to create a .mount file and put it in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants, like apps.mount that already resides there, but I have no experience with that.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

just creating a standard share? 

Definitely better, and you can also set the share to be a hidden share in the Web UI (though it won't start with a .).

Message 3 of 7
SCUBAInstructor
Aspirant

Basically I would like to replicate .apps which holds the installed applications on the NAS and is there per default (ReadyNAS).

I manually installed application on that NAS (mysql) and they should not reside on the root partition (80% usage warning).

My consideration is that if ReadyNAS uses this approach for installed applications (via GUI), it should not be wrong to do the same for my own installations. Is there any problem with this setup?

I found a solution which gives me the exact same result for my folder:

mount /dev/md127 -o subvol=.runtimes /runtimes

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@SCUBAInstructor wrote:

I found a solution which gives me the exact same result for my folder:

mount /dev/md127 -o subvol=.runtimes /runtimes

Your mount command will be need to be manually re-applied every time you reboot the NAS.  There is also some risk down the road that the NAS application (or Netgear Support) will get confused because of the manually created subvolume.  Netgear assumes that its application is the only one that is creating subvolumes on the data volume.

Another approach (easier and commonly used by folks here) is to first install your application(s) in the root as usual.  Then move the folder(s) to the existing /data/.apps subvolume, and create soft link(s) from the root to the new location(s). 

If you want to proceed with a separate subvolume, then IMO a better way is to first create a share called runtimes on the data volume (which can be hidden). Then create a soft link to that subvolume in the root.

# ln -s /data/runtimes /runtimes

That avoids the need for a persistent mount.  It also allows you manage snapshots for /data/runtimes, back it up, etc using the built in tools in the ReadyNAS GUI.

Message 5 of 7
SCUBAInstructor
Aspirant

You are right, the mount is not permanent.

I have added the below to /etc/fstab:

UUID=subvolUUID /runtimes btrfs  defaults,subvolid=myID 1 1

My folder is properly mounted on boot.

Confusing Netgear support is not really my concern. I understand that Netgear only wants to support standard systems.

My device was initially a RDD516 (16 GB RAM). I have changed the DMI (amidedos) so it identifies itself as RN516 and installed ReadyNAS. I have upgraded the CPU to i7-3770K 3.5GHz and installed a X540-T2 10Gigabit 10GBe 10Gbit Dual Port network card. I am running Glassfish, mysql, java11 and some other things to unleash the full potential of that box. Next step is to change disks step by step (higher capacity).

Moving things to /apps folder is a good alternative though.

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

There is no reason you can't just put it in apps instead of creating another similar subvolume.  The ReadyNAS OS leaves that alone, as it has no idea what non-Netgear apps may have installed there.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements