× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas discontinued?

SiliconVGuy
Tutor

ReadyNas discontinued?

I love this product and have been looking for a second one (RN424), but none have been available for months. I understand the pandemic has reduced computer chips, etc. but now I see ReadyNAS isn't even listed under products on the Netgear site. Should I look for another vendor?

Thanks,
Dave

Model: RN4220S|ReadyNAS 4220 2xSFP+ (chassis only)
Message 1 of 20
uwebu
Tutor

...same trouble here.

since october 2020 i tried purchasing a new readynas here in scandinavia (i live in sweden)

my first order was for a 628x modell and the delivery was pushed forward month efter month until now.

the 5th of july i recieved a mail that the product is not available anymore.

that happend to me twice from different retailers once with the 628x and once with 528x

all my network gear is from netgear and works perfect

(i am running 2x readynas ultra 4 since "forever"  Smiley Very Happy

and wanted to replace them with a powerfull 8 bay nas)

i would hate to use/buy alternative manufacturer/brand

greatings

uwe

Message 2 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@SiliconVGuy wrote:

but now I see ReadyNAS isn't even listed under products on the Netgear site.

They are listed under business solutions (network storage).  https://www.netgear.com/business/wired/storage/

But it is possible that they are dropping their NAS products.

Message 3 of 20
SiliconVGuy
Tutor

Yeah, but "Find a Retailer" for any of the desktop systems returns an empty reply.

Message 4 of 20
ThirtyReset
Tutor

I'm in the same boat here - I have a Pro Pioneer 6, an Ultra 6 Plus, a 516 and a 422 and have been looking to consolidate some of the older units into a 628x for a while now.  I'm even getting crickets from the various sales contact emails within Netgear.

My gut feeling is that this is a soft discontinuation, as many others have noted, at least for the non-rack mount units.  It would sure be nice if Netgear would give some sort of heads-up or notice as to their support plans at minimum.  i've been evaluating alternatives (Synology, QNAP, AsusStor, TerraMaster, and even roll-your-own options using UNRaid or TrueNAS) but haven't found something I'm fully comfortable in making the plunge on.  While it's true that ReadyOS is perhaps getting a little long in the tooth, it's one of the more traditional, accessible Debian-based NAS OSes out there.

Message 5 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

If you have a place for a noisy rack mount system, that is an option.  Prices are a bit steep new, but I bought used and continue to see some pop up on eBay a lot cheaper than an 9-bay desktop model.  I switched a couple years ago now, going with RN4200V2 and RD5200 converted to OS6.  Though older, they have a quad-core Xeon X3450 @ 2.67GHz, can have lots of RAM (I have 16GB), and are basically OEM Supermicro units, making parts more available.  The RD5200 comes with a 10GBE card, and the RN4200 can be equipped with a standard Intel one.  I've also seen some RN3220's and RN4220's for sale at a reasonable price, even with the necessarily high shipping cost.  Stay away from the RN3200 and RN4200 (V1), though, as 8 of the 12 slots on them are restricted to 2TB.

Message 6 of 20
Platypus69
Luminary

I can highly recommend Synology, for all it's worth.

I have been a big user an fan of ReadyNAS, and have several 6/8 bay ReadyNAS devices going back to 10+ years.

So I was gutted when I was "told unofficially" back in 2020 that the line was going to be discontinued.

So I ended up buying the Synology DS1819+ and now the DS1821+ 8 HDDs NAS. (The 1821+ supports the AMD RyzenTM V1500B quad-core 2.2 GHz CPU.0

Perhaps the build quality is not the same as ReadyNAS (I supposed i am only complaining about the plastic disk caddies really, but they do the job.)

Having said that, synology are clearly investing in NASes, with the latest version of the DSM 7.0 being pretty good. Sure there are some minor things lacking there as well, regarding SMB, but eveything else is excellent so far.

At the end of the day it's all about the software and what I like about DSM is that there are plenty of features/options that have to do with data integrity/resilience/redundancy.

(I am not too fussed about Plex and such "streaming" features that QNAP seem to have, and consequently QNAP's NASes seem to be more expensive from my POV.)

For all it's worth they support Seagate's IronWolf technology, so that speaks to their investment, if nothing else.

HTH

All the best with your choice.

Message 7 of 20
uwebu
Tutor

...after a view days of research, i went with Asustor Lockerstor 10 as6510t

very pleased with my purchase so far. so damn quiet compared with my readynas ultra!

but still sorry i didn't get to buy readynas 628x 😞

Message 8 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Platypus69 wrote:

One concern with Synology is that their new NAS are locked to use their re-branded hard drives.  I'm not a fan of that approach.

Message 9 of 20
ThirtyReset
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@Platypus69 wrote:

One concern with Synology is that their new NAS are locked to use their re-branded hard drives.  I'm not a fan of that approach.

To be fair to Synology, as I understand it that policy only applies to their Rack-mount "Rackstation" line sold for enterprise use.  But it is a troubling trend, I agree.

I have been looking at a lot of the options out there.  The DS1819+/1821+ seem like a good option as long as I'm willing to move my Plex serving off the NAS.  QNAP's security snafus as of late make me weary of their line, and I'm not as impressed with some of their hardware.  I must admit Asustor's hardware is the most appealing right now, but I've heard mixed things about their software and their underlying system access.

Message 10 of 20
ThirtyReset
Tutor

@uwebu wrote:

...after a view days of research, i went with Asustor Lockerstor 10 as6510t

very pleased with my purchase so far. so damn quiet compared with my readynas ultra!

but still sorry i didn't get to buy readynas 628x 😞

So you're pretty happy with the Lockerstor?  The hardware looks VERY nice.  I've heard mixed things about the software and the underlying system access - I've gotten very used to SSH access to the underlying OS on my ReadyNAS units (being a long-time Linux user), so even though it may not be completely necessary (particularly with a NAS platform with broader "app" support), it feels like something I'd miss.

Definitely with you on feeling like I missed out on a 628X - that was pretty much the configuration I had been waiting for since I moved from my original Pro Pioneer to a 516.  I was ready to pull the trigger on one in mid-2020 when they suddenly became unobtainable.  Of course, I was also ready to finally pull the trigger on moving from 6TB drives to something larger when the Chia nonsense hit, so my luck continues unabated 😞

Message 11 of 20
Platypus69
Luminary

I bought a Sony TV as I just use Kodi from the Android store (I assume they have Plex there). So it's just easy to connect the Sony TV to the SMB shares and it just works. Otherwise Kodi is also available on XBox, which I use as well.

Message 12 of 20
Platypus69
Luminary

For the DS1819+/DS1821+ I bought Seagate EXOS 14TB HDDs for one and IronWolf Pro 16TB HDDs for the other. They seem to support a broad range of HDDs for their consumer/prosumer NASes. And update the HCL fairly often. Remember the delays we had with Netgear waiting for them to put HDDs that had been out for years on their HCL.

Anyway...

The other cool thing is that DSM 7.0 has the ability to download a HDD database. From the GUI:

Drive Database
The drive database contains information on drive temperatures, SMART attributes, the compatibility list, and forware updates of Synology drives. They system updates the database automatically and periodically. However, you can also click Updae Now to immediately update the databsae, or click Manual Update to update it by uploading the Offiline Update pack.

As I said I have been impressed so far with such functionality. I assume i will get warning if one disk's telemetry such as temperature or bad sector count rises past some outlier average calculated base on collected telemetry. That is potentially better than SMART, which is antiquated.... At the end of the day it is another useful "signal".

As I said I don't want Plex/transcoding on the NAS, do it at the TV layer/XBox layer for me. Why chew up the CPU on the NAS when a cheap modern TV has dedicated hardware with native HEVC support, etc. You end up paying for such functionality on the NAS and that is why I did not go with QNAP, where some models had HDMI ports, remote controls, etc. As was said, the hardware was underwhelming for the price.

Message 13 of 20
aniraghome
Tutor

Just curious i jave a readynas 314 since 2014 with 4 NAS drives (seagate) which were new replacements. I have no plans for a new nas unless this 314 dies. If i do buy a synology can i not use these drives? Or should i format it and then use it?
Message 14 of 20
SiliconVGuy
Tutor

Unfortunately I can't answer that. 

Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@aniraghome wrote:
 If i do buy a synology can i not use these drives? Or should i format it and then use it?

You'd have to reformat the drives, so you'd need a backup.

Message 16 of 20
SiliconVGuy
Tutor

I have a Synology 4 Bay DS920+ on older. When it arrives I plan to move ONE drive from my ReadyNAS to the new NAS and format it. Then I'll copy data from the ReadNas to this new drive. Once I'm satisfied it is working correctly (maybe a couple of days use) I'll move the second drive from ReadyNAS to Synology. It should add the new drive to the set and copy data to the new drive.

But just in case, I've got a backup on a slower, USB drive.

Good luck.

Dave

Message 17 of 20
aniraghome
Tutor

that sounds like a good plan. almost like replacing new drives even with RN. please share how this goes.
Message 18 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@SiliconVGuy wrote:

I have a Synology 4 Bay DS920+ on order. When it arrives I plan to move ONE drive from my ReadyNAS to the new NAS and format it. Then I'll copy data from the ReadNas to this new drive. Once I'm satisfied it is working correctly (maybe a couple of days use) I'll move the second drive from ReadyNAS to Synology. It should add the new drive to the set and copy data to the new drive.

That will work with RAID-1, as long as the second drive has no problems.  Of course that's why you have the backup.

Another strategy (which I favor myself) is to use the ReadyNAS as a backup to the DS920 primary NAS.  That requires getting new disks for DS920.  But I prefer NAS->NAS backups over backups to USB.

Message 19 of 20
tlnesbit
Initiate

Got this email from Netgear:

From Chris Rudolph Senior Account Manager

Dec 20, 2021, 11:39 AM

Hello,

Netgear has discontinued the ReadyNAS line altogether, I would suggest looking at QNAP as an alternative: https://www.qnapworks.com/

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements