× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas nv+ V1 UPS not detected

Greigw
Aspirant

ReadyNas nv+ V1 UPS not detected

I have an old ReadyNAS nv+ v1.  When I connect it to my UPS - ?? using one of the USB ports on the back Frontview does not show that the ups is detected.  But when I unplug the usb cable I get a message in the log and on the front screen of the readynas that the ups has been disconnected.

When the ups is connected, simmulating a power off situation has no effect on the readynas even if it does report the ups is disconnected if I unplug the usb cable after that.

Are there specific types / models of ups I must use with my readynas nv+ v1?

Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ReadyNas nv+ V1 UPS not detected

Hi @Greigw , thanks to @Sandshark we know, that (quoting) "ReadyNAS uses NUT (Network UPS Tools) for UPS   You can find their compatibility list here: https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html."

Here is the link to the post where this is mentioned: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Netgear-ReadyNAS-RN212-UPS-Options/m-p/1...

Kind regards

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Note that the NV+ is old, and the version of NUT on it might be dated.

What UPS do you have?  What firmware is running on the ReadyNAS?

Message 3 of 10
Greigw
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The following is taken off Frontview:

Capture.JPG

The UPS is a Proline UPS A650.  Which was bought here in South Africa.  Probably a rebadged generic model.  Internally it is identicle to another UPS I have called a Mecer ME-650-VU+ which has the same characteristics when connected to the Readynas.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Message 4 of 10
Greigw
Aspirant

Thanks for responding.  See my reply to another response.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Is the cable connecting the NAS to the UPS a normal USB cable? 

Or is the UPS output a serial connector that is adapted to USB on the NAS end?

Message 6 of 10
Greigw
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

It is a normal USB cable with the square connector (as found on usb connected printers) on the end that plugs into the UPS and the standard flat connector on the other end.

Message 7 of 10
Greigw
Aspirant

This is the image removed by the moderators above now with serial no. removed.Capture.JPGHope this is acceptable to all.

Thanks for the help so far guys.   I am hoping there is someone out there with an NV+ who has found a way to reliably connect a UPS to avoid unexpected power losses.  Something we are having to learn to live with here in South Africa.

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Greigw wrote:

It is a normal USB cable with the square connector (as found on usb connected printers) on the end that plugs into the UPS and the standard flat connector on the other end.

Thx.  Generally speaking UPS that use serial connectors+adapters to USB aren't monitored correctly.  However, that's not your particular problem, since you have a standard USB cable.  It might be worth trying all the USB ports on the NV+, and confirming that they behave similarly.

Your UPS isn't listed on https://networkupstools.org/ddl/Proline/ so it might not be compatible.  

Even if the UPS can't be monitored, there is still value in using it - since in many cases the power is restored before the battery runs down.

Message 9 of 10
Greigw
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB.  Will see if I can get an APC UPS.  Looks like I have the best chance with one of those.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements