× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas102 Freeze, no network response #25252854

neoperez
Aspirant

ReadyNas102 Freeze, no network response #25252854

Hi Forum,

I hope you can help me on the issue I'm facing in my ReadyNas102.

I bought my RN102 on Jan/2014 (registered with Netgear).

Currently I'm facing a weird issue since some months ago. My NAS suddently dissapear from network after some hours up (even if I'm not copying files into it). It becomes irresponsible from network (no ping, no AFP, no SAMBA access, no management web), I try to restart it by pressing the power button but nothing, I have to end up disconnecting the power unit, wait some seconds and plug it again. No errors appear in logs at web, just the device dissapear from network and I must start it again powering off disconnecting power unit.

I have latest Firmware (6.2.4) installed, I also resinstalled it a couple of times following the recommendations sent after open two tickets where support sent me the same email, inviting me to reinstall firmware (ticket with Netwgear numbers #25252854 & #25185230, opened in Spanish).

Any help will be much appreciated.
Message 1 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

Re: ReadyNas102 Freeze, no network response

Do you still have an open ticket?
Was the problem resolved by support and then recurred?

What firmware was on the 102 when the problem started?

What disks are in the 102?

Have you tested the disks using vendor tools?

Do you have any apps installed?

Is antivirus on?

How full is the data volume?
Message 2 of 14
RobTWo
Guide

Try downgrading to 6.2.2 to be found here: http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/RN10200#searchResults
It worked for me. My RN102 had exactly the same problem after upgrading from 6.2.2 to 6.2.4. Eventually I downgraded.
Message 3 of 14
neoperez
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
Do you still have an open ticket?
Was the problem resolved by support and then recurred?

What firmware was on the 102 when the problem started?

What disks are in the 102?

Have you tested the disks using vendor tools?

Do you have any apps installed?

Is antivirus on?

How full is the data volume?

Hi Vandermerwe,

thanks for replying, let me answer your questions.

a) no, unfortunately, they keep inviting me to re-install the firmware. Issue was not solved ever. After two different tickets opened, where they invited me to reinstall the same firmware.

b) Actually, while It was with 6.2.0.

c) Disks are Western Digital Caviar. 3Tb. 3.5"

d) Apps installed are LinuxDash (I installed them to check this issue) and Transmission (which is stopped after it started to disappear from network).

e) There is no Antivirus on neither on NAS nor in my laptop.

f) Data is 50% full.
Message 4 of 14
neoperez
Aspirant

RobTWo wrote:
Try downgrading to 6.2.2 to be found here: http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/RN10200#searchResults
It worked for me. My RN102 had exactly the same problem after upgrading from 6.2.2 to 6.2.4. Eventually I downgraded.

I was in under the impression it was not possible to downgrade version in ReaNAS OS, anyway, it's good to get a try. I will try to downgrade it today, I will keep you update, but I will need some time to check it as this problem is randomly happening. Sometimes takes 2 hours up, sometimes 12h.
Message 5 of 14
neoperez
Aspirant

I have uploaded system logs into my case in mySupport at Negear, and I wrote in English an update into MyNetGear support.

I've asked a colleague that owns another ReadyNAS102 (currently under 6.2.2 firmware) as well as one ReadyNAS312 (with 6.2.2 too) but he is not suffering same issue as I'm facing in any of his both devices

He told me his device doesn't loose network connectivity even under high network usage (he uses ReadyNAS102 as NFS & SAMBA server for a XenSource machine).

It is weird I'm loosing network connectivity but the device (looks like) is still blinking and this doesn't happen to my colleague with same Firmware version.

Really weird :(.
Message 6 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

Have you tested the disks?

Does the nas have a static or reserved IP address?

When it loses connectivity, does raidar see the nas and what IP address does it show?
Message 7 of 14
neoperez
Aspirant

Hi Vandermewe,

thanks for your reply again 🙂

Yes, I have tested the disks, no issue found, and I have teste them outside of the box with badblocks and no issue too.

IP is static as well as DNS server (8.8.8.8 ), no DHCP set. MTU is set as default 1500. Also IPv6 is disabled.

When it loses connectivity, unfortunately, it doesn't appear in RaiDAR, hence no IP address is showed there.
Message 8 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

Perhaps ask support again, ask them to escalate your case. your problem sounds different to that reported by users who have fixed it by downgrading to 6.2.2; although you could of course try that.
Message 9 of 14
neoperez
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas102 Freeze, no network response #25252854

Hi Vandermewe,

they have replied to my ticket, "inviting me" to buy next support level.
On your case, for us to determine where the issue really is, further troubleshooting needs to be done on the NAS and since the NAS is already beyond the free support entitlement, the support that we can provide is only limited to the Hardware check. In order for us to escalate this case to the Next Level of Support, an existing OnCall Contract is recommend to be attached on the record of the NAS.

I understand all companies wants to make money, I accept it, but how they can check it is not a HW issue without further troubleshooting? (as in case it is a HW issue, they offer me free replacement). What happens whether in the end it is a real HW issue and I've paid for something I shouldn't be charged with?.

I've request them a way to discard it is not a HW issue, and then I will accept to be charged with a contract to solve the software issue.

BTW: I didn't have a chance to downgrade the Firmware version yet, however in case it solves the issue, I would like to ask how they can release a Firmware version with such troubleshooting done to check whether it breaks devices, maybe developers are beyond the free support entitlement too :lol:
Message 10 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

Well you have several options:
1. Try a downgrade.
2. Disable all apps and also disable COW and snapshots.
3. Try connecting the nas directly to your pc and seeing if the freezing persists.
4. Testing the disks with vendor tools extended tests. I know you've tested them with a generic tester.
5. Power down, remove your disks, insert one spare good disk and factory default the unit. Run it on your LAN and see if the freezing persists. Personally, once I'd tested all the disks, this is what I would do.
6. Factory default and restore from backup.
7. Pay for support.
Message 11 of 14
neoperez
Aspirant

Hi vandermerwe,

thanks for you recommendations. Actually, I already performed almost all but not the last two 🙂 with same result.

Support has confirmed it is a HW issue and support is fully aware about, they are investigating the issue and meantime they have opened an RMA for HW replacement. With things like that you see how good is a support.

10 points for NetGear support!!

I really appreaciate the effort of NetGear support, much appreciated.
Message 12 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

That's good, did they tell you what was wrong with the hardware?
Message 13 of 14
neoperez
Aspirant

Hi Vandermerwe,

they have stated there is a hardware issue as it exhibits locking up issue due to RAM and chip clock rate.

I guess something technical out of my scope 😄

I really appreciate the investigations performed by support, they have stated very quickly the issue and the solution.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements