× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas102 freezing while backup on front USB is running

Flomer
Tutor

ReadyNas102 freezing while backup on front USB is running

Hi all,

I found a similar topic with search function but it was not resolved so I open a new discussion again.

I bought a 128 GB USB 3.0 flash stick (SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0) to backup some files (mostly small files, documents) from my readynas 102 to that USB device. The readynas 102 is running on firmware 6.6.0 with antivirus enable (but I tried also to run it disabled).

I used the FRONT USB slot

I've setup a new backup task and started the backup. It starts but after a while (maybe two minutes) I can't access my shares in Windows anymore and the admin page is not available anymore but the backup LED on front of the system is still flashing. The data to backup is about 17 GB and I was waiting about 3 hours but I was not able to bring the NAS back again. I cut off the power because it was not reacting to anything anymore. After the restart the system was working normally. I tried the same procedure again with antivirus disabled but again the NAS was freezing.

Does anybody have seen same or similar issue? I've not tried a back USB slot yet but I'll do it tonight and will post the result here.

Thanks in advance!

Florian

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 9
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

RN102, the Front USB slot, commonly used in USB 2.0 device. Suggest you try the Back of the slot.

Message 2 of 9
Flomer
Tutor

Hi Amidala,

thanks for your reply. Yesterday I tried to put it into one of the rear USB slots but the USB device was not recognized by system at all. But usually you can use USB3 devices in a USB2 slot, can't you?

I don't know whats going on but as next I'll try another USB device.

Best regards,

Florian

Message 3 of 9
Flomer
Tutor

Hi again,

yesterday I tried few other USB flash drives with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. Some are recognized well but others not at all. When I started the backup on the "working" flash drives it takes just a few seconds and a fail message occurs: can not create file on destination. I checked the accesibility of the flash but any host can access. There should be no blocking point. The backup started with a few files correctly and then some error happens...

But also in general I always have connection problems on the RN102. If a backup job works today the same backup job fails tomorrow while no change happens on my network in the meantime.

BTW: I tried the same on my old ReadyNas duo and have not any problems!!!! Why not change back to the good old radar GUI?? Its much more efficient and much more stable!

I'll not spend any more time in this because I have other work to do... If there will be no bug fix for next firmware I'll exchange my netger products. My friends which using other vendors can just laugh about my issues with Netgear.

Br,

Florian

Message 4 of 9
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Flomer:

There are too many USB devices on the market at present, we can only say that as far as possible support them.

I also have the same USB flash device(SanDisk Ultra 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0). I insert it in the Back Top slot, it can be identified, run backup job, completed. If it's convenient for you, restart the NAS, or it can be formatted,then insert again?

I insert it in the Front slot, the same situation with you. We already know the issue, it will fix as soon as possible.

I hope you can continue to use the Netgear product.

Message 5 of 9
Flomer
Tutor

Hi Amidala,

thanks for your help. Thats strange that mine is not working. OK, sometimes you buy things which are damaged already but in first instance I would say the flash device is ok because its brand new. On a windows system its working fine. 

Which format do you used? NTFS? FAT32? or anything else?

Br, Florian

Message 6 of 9
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Flomer,

I apologize about the issue. Currently the engineering group well aware of the issue about the USB. A fix will soon be published

As for the format, Have you already tried all of those formats?

Regards,

Message 7 of 9
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Flomer,

Sorry to reply you now, I tried FAT32 and NTFS, insert it in the Back Top slot, it can be identified, run backup job, completed. 

Amidala

Message 8 of 9
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

It's confirmed that the chipset has issue with SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 USB drives plugged into the RN102/104 front USB 2.0, unfortunately, the chipset is end of life and there is no plan from the vendor to fix this. 

The solution is to plug it onto the backside instead, or use a different USB drive. 

Thank you.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements