× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas212 Backup Share to USB but just files that are x-Days old

DennisGeb
Follower

ReadyNas212 Backup Share to USB but just files that are x-Days old

Hello everyone,

i plan to use my ReadyNas212 as a backup location for our VM. The VM backups will be stored for 3 or 4 weeks. We also want to save the last week (5 days) of backups on two usb-drives.

Is there a way to copy the files from the backup-share to the connected usb drive but limit it to the last (youngest) 5 files ?

Best regards,

Dennis

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas212 Backup Share to USB but just files that are x-Days old

First of all, will the VM backups be written to an iSCSI LUN or a network share?  This might matter because an ISCSI LUN is opaque block storage to the NAS, and the files in the LUN can only be accessed by one device at a time.  That might affect your backup methodology.

@DennisGeb wrote:

We also want to save the last week (5 days) of backups on two usb-drives.

The built-in backup jobs in the NAS don't support this functionality.  One workaround might be to connect the USB drives to something else (a windows machine perhaps) and use different tools to manage the USB backups.  For example, robocopy scripts could be written to do what you want.  This approach would require the VM backups to be written to a share, not a LUN - which is why I asked the question above.

Message 2 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @DennisGeb, I would create 5 backup jobs called 1Monday, 2Tuesday, 3Wednesday, 4Thursday and 5Friday and would let each of them run on the concerned day. When 1Monday will be run for the 2nd time it will overwrite the result of the week before. By continuing in the illustrated way with all other backups you end up with that what you want to my understanding.

Kind regards

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi @DennisGeb, I would create 5 backup jobs called 1Monday, 2Tuesday, 3Wednesday, 4Thursday and 5Friday and would let each of them run on the concerned day. When 1Monday will be run for the 2nd time it will overwrite the result of the week before.

That is an option if you actually want a weekly cycle, because the NAS will let you schedule backups weekly (choosing the day of the week).  It won't work if you want to run the backup jobs every day (including weekends), and still have 5-day retention. You'd need to grow to 7-day retention in that case.

Each backup would need to have different destinations on the USB drives.  Also, each output folder would be completely independent of the others, with incremental backup based on the previous week's backup.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements