× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 104 - ReadyDLNA turned off by firmware update & will not turn back on. Also no apps showing

ahdvd
Aspirant

Readynas 104 - ReadyDLNA turned off by firmware update & will not turn back on. Also no apps showing

Have updated firmware on Readynas 104 via the interface to latest version (6.9.0). Before this the ReadyDLNA was running and had been for months without issue streaming to multiple devices accross the network.

now, after the update, ReadyDLNA is no longer switched on - the 'button' for it via 'System' and 'Settings' is not lit green anymore, and when I go into it to turn it on, after clicking 'Apply' it still does not turn on.

this is despite the share page showing two drives setup with DLNA network access (lit green on the share settings).

i have tried restarting the readynas via the interface, shutting it down (and even then switching it off at the plug socket), then tried turning it on again and the same result, readyDLNA just does not seem to turn on.

I have tried this through 4 browsers (chrome, firefox, safari and chrome on ipad) and they all have the same result.) Oddly further to this issue the apps page shows no apps installed and none available, again on all 4 browsers.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Readynas 104 - ReadyDLNA turned off by firmware update & will not turn back on. Also no apps

There were some conflicts with some old app packages, and the JPEG library got removed by the package manager to resolve the conflicts.  You can probably fix it by either doing an OS reinstall, or doing a local firmware updat either to 6.9.0 again, or to 6.9.1 Beta 1.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Readynas 104 - ReadyDLNA turned off by firmware update & will not turn back on. Also no apps

We are unable to reproduce this behavior.  Please either send in your logs, or enable Secure Diagnostic Mode and PM me the 5-digit number so we can investigate.

Message 2 of 9
ahdvd
Aspirant

I have a zipfile of logs from the Readynas, but it won't let me upload it here, is there some way i need to upload it or are you looking for a specific file from within the zip file?.

I've since tried activating ReadyDLNA again, still without any luck, but this time i did get an error:

"cannot start service without volume" code: 15002040001

I'm not sure what exactly that means, there are 4 physical drives raided to provide 2 drives, both of which have content and shares setup with DLNA in the share settings, all of which were present before the update (and are still there and accessible from my PC).

Message 3 of 9
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

One of your volumes should have been elected to host app data.  The message you posted means that the volume that should be hosting app data is not present.  This can happen if a volume is removed from the system without being exported or deleted.

I posted a little app that should automatically fix up this situation for you.  You can get it from here.  The GUI will report that it failed to install, but it should have actually completed the necessary work to make apps and DLNA work again.

Message 4 of 9
ahdvd
Aspirant

Before you replied I found an odd thing that has at least resolved the apps not appearing issue - in the shares section I found the two share profiles for my existing 2 raided (4 physical) drives. The first of which does appear to have a 'Home Folders' section within it.

But bizzarely, I also found 2 profiles for the drives that the above replaced over a year ago! somehow upgrading to the latest firmware had kept the existing share profiles, but also managed to recover two profiles for drives that no longer existed? Once I deleted these old profiles, the apps page now shows installed apps and available apps.

Unfortunately though ReadyDLNA still will not turn on when I go into it and click to enable it in the system settings. I came on here to update this, and found your reply to download and installed the program as you said, which I did.

I received no error, and the Readynas' log showed it was installed successfully and no fauly as you described. After that, tried turning on ReadyDLNA again and still no luck, even tried rebooting and trying again and still still not turning on.

Message 5 of 9
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Strange.  OK, please either send in your logs (follow instructions in my signature), or enable Secure Diagnostic Mode and PM me the 5-digit number so we can investigate.

Message 6 of 9
ahdvd
Aspirant

Logs sent.

Message 7 of 9
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

There were some conflicts with some old app packages, and the JPEG library got removed by the package manager to resolve the conflicts.  You can probably fix it by either doing an OS reinstall, or doing a local firmware updat either to 6.9.0 again, or to 6.9.1 Beta 1.

Message 8 of 9
ahdvd
Aspirant

Manually reinstalling the firmware image seems to have worked, after reboot it was active. Hopefully that is it all resolved. Thanks.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements