× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas 104 disk activity led always on

Seanmo
Aspirant

Readynas 104 disk activity led always on

Just noticed today that my disk activity light is always on. Don't think it did this before the latest firmware 6.5.0

I'm not copying any files, doing backups and the device reports that the disks are sleeping. If I copy files from the Nas the ACT light will flicker as expected

but it still stays on the whole time. Light stays on if I pull both ethernet cables out of the device as well. Anyone else have this issue? It's probably more annoying

to see the light on all the time than an indication of a problem but I'd prefer it to work as it should:) 

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 19
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Seanmo,

Welcome to the community!

Can you confirm if you have installed add-ons and enabled services that require internet from your ReadyNAS? If yes, the activity LED might be on.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 19
Seanmo
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delay replying to you. I don't have any services or apps running that I am aware of it's just for basic home use as storage really

so I'm at a loss as to why it's on all the time.

Regards

Message 3 of 19
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Seanmo,

Can you confirm if  ReadyCLOUD and other services that require the internet enabled?

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 19
Seanmo
Aspirant

Hi,

It's only Readycloud that is enabled. There don't apear to be any other services enabled. It's just a home setup on a very basic network and tight fisted as I am

with the electricity, I turn everything off when not in use. The disks spin down after 10 mins of inactivity and go to sleep and report they are asleep when the activity light is flashing on and off.

Message 5 of 19
Seanmo
Aspirant

Just to clarify I don't use the readycloud that often, it's only me that uses it. Just a reminder that even with discs asleep and both ethernet cables pulled out the light still stays on:)

Message 6 of 19
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Seanmo,

Kindly give this new firmware a try and let us know if it makes a difference.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 19
spiffin
Aspirant

Exactly the same with my 104.

Firmware version 6.5.1 is installed.

It works fine otherwise - but the activity LED is constantly on.

Simon

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 8 of 19
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi spiffin,

I could check our own unit here and run some testing. I will update this thread if I or if I won't experience the same behavior.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 19
Seanmo
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

I did the firmware update but I'm afraid it's still staying on regardless of the discs sleeping and no activity on my part.

Thanks
Message 10 of 19
spiffin
Aspirant

Hi Brian

Yes, okay. How do we do this?

Simon

Message 11 of 19
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Seanmo & spiffin,

I left the unit overnight with or without ethernet cable, the LED stayed on my unit too. I may need to check this with others who can probably assist you and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you guys for your patience and cooperation!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 19
BrendanM
NETGEAR Expert

This has been reported to engineering internally. I will post back here when I have an update.

Message 13 of 19
booboo59
Apprentice

Add me to the list of customers with the same symptom.

Message 14 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Engineering informed us that this is by design. If you find that LED distracting you may wish to cover it with electrical tape.

Message 15 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

Engineering informed us that this is by design. If you find that LED distracting you may wish to cover it with electrical tape.

You could also vote for the idea here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/Add-the-ability-to-Dim-the-Power-Light/i...

Click on the up-arrow icon to vote for it.

Message 16 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The activity LED always being on in normal use is shown in the hardware manual.

On - At least one disk present.

Blinking - A disk is active.

Off - No disks are present.

Message 17 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

The activity LED always being on in normal use is shown in the hardware manual.

Understood.  That doesn't mean a control to turn the lights off wouldn't be nice.

Message 18 of 19
Seanmo
Aspirant

Fair enough my mistake, I never looked at that part in the manual as I assumed it functioned the way a pc hard drive light usually does when there is disk activity.

Perhaps it's just me being overly picky (and a tad mischeviousSmiley Happy), but don't the Drive Bay LED numbers tell you if a disk is present (see from the manual below)? So it just seems a bit overkill to have the activity light on 24/7 to tell you a disk is present, when half an inch away, there are numbers 1-4 that light up if a disk is present? Anyway thanks for everyone's assistance - if this is the only issue I have with my Readynas I'll think my self very lucky it's a great little device to be fair.

Each drive bay has an LED associated with it on the front panel of the storage system. The disk LEDs have these states:

• On. Power is on and the disk is operating normally.

• Blinking. The disk was removed, failed, or is resynchronizing.

• Off. The drive bay is empty

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements