× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 104 stuck on normal boot

rseche
Aspirant

Readynas 104 stuck on normal boot

My Readynas lost power and now when it boots up it's stuck on boot menu.  When I press the backup button to cycle through the options it gets stuck at normal, that is "boot menu normal". I've unplug the machine, and tried to access the os reinstall and other boot menus with the same result. The machine starts the boot process as soon as I connect the power, without me pressing the power button. I've tried removing the three drives and putting them back in the right order and still the same result.  The system does not show up on the network. Please help.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Readynas 104 stuck on normal boot

That sounds like a possible power problem.  But quite possibly within the NAS where it converts the 12V from the brick to the internal working voltages, not the external brick.  Probably no need to panic, but you should pay close attention for at least a while, especially to any voltage warnings in the logs.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you power up the NAS with no disks installed, are you seeing a "no disks" status on the LCD panel?

Also, can you find the NAS in RAIDar? https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 2 of 14
rseche
Aspirant

No. It doesn't give an error no disk installed, it always boot up to the boot menu.  When i press the backup button, its stuck on normal. Using RAIDar and readycloud, there's no device found on the network. 

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@rseche wrote:

No. It doesn't give an error no disk installed, it always boot up to the boot menu. 

Ouch. Not a good sign.

Is the NAS still covered by the 3-year warranty?

Message 4 of 14
rseche
Aspirant

No the warranty expired two years ago.

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@rseche wrote:

No the warranty expired two years ago.

And it boots up this way w/o you pressing the reset on the back of the NAS when you power it up?

Unfortunately it sounds like a hardware failure.  @Sandshark might have some suggestions, but overall the chassis is not repairable.

Message 6 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

This is also dependent on the UBOOT content.  So before doing anything else, a USB recovery may fix it.  Another user had a similar issue on a different ARM model, and that was the solution.  If it's not for yours, and you have hardware troubleshooting skills and tools, you could see if the button is stuck.

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

So before doing anything else, a USB recovery may fix it.  

Instructions for that are here: https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

Message 8 of 14
rseche
Aspirant

I created the recovery USB, received a message that it completed successfully.  However the NAS still boots up to boot menu normal. 

Message 9 of 14
rseche
Aspirant

Can you give me some guidance on the hardware troubleshooting? What button do you think is stuck?

Message 10 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Reset button is the most likely candidate.  It may not be physically "stuck", but electrically not properly functioning.  I do not know if it's a normally open or normally closed switch on that NAS.

Message 11 of 14
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree with @Sandshark. Usual issues with that is that the reset button gets stuck or is not getting pressed properly. 

Since the USB recovery got through successfully, were you able to boot normally? or is it still getting stuck?

If the USB recovery is not successful and you are still getting stuck on booting or if you can't perform the recovery due to the issue on the reset button. If your RN104 is less than 3 years old. It would be best to contact Support so you can request for a replacement.

Message 12 of 14
rseche
Aspirant

This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.  I woke up two days ago and the unit booted up on its own, I didn't reset or power cycle.  It was saying one drive was degraded, I took it out and put it back in.  After about 24hrs of data recovery the system is functioning normally. I'm not sure how to explain it.  Thank you everyone for the support.

Message 13 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

That sounds like a possible power problem.  But quite possibly within the NAS where it converts the 12V from the brick to the internal working voltages, not the external brick.  Probably no need to panic, but you should pay close attention for at least a while, especially to any voltage warnings in the logs.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements