× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 2100 vs stuck at flashing blue light

awahl101
Aspirant

Readynas 2100 vs stuck at flashing blue light

Hey guys, recently updated this nas to os6, was working OK with a few weird issues with the admin page freezing and reloading, updated to the newest evrsion  6.5.2 and was working then powered off for a month or so.  go to power up and it sits at a flashing blue light, no hdd lights.

it would randomly show that ports 23 443 etc were open but would start to conenct then nothing, telnet would try to connect then would get stuck.

I tried doing an os reset in the startup options with no luck, I then did a factory reset, upon boot the blue and hdd lights were alternating with access to telnet only, but no username or password combo seemed to work.  not sure what I can do, would like to salvage this thing,  I did have a 4gb stick of memory in there and tried swapping to a 2gb incase it was a memory issue but that didn't help.

any way to re-install the OS to a drive etc and give it a shot?

not sure what else to try at this point.

thanks

Model: ReadyNASRNRX4000v2|ReadyNAS 2100 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas 2100 vs stuck at flashing blue light

Does it show in RAIDar?

Sounds like you could have a bad disk.

Note that when you do a factory reset via the boot menu the system will run a few checks then wait 10 minutes before proceeding to wipe the disks. When you did the factory reset did you see what happened after the 10 minute countdown expired?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does it show in RAIDar?

Sounds like you could have a bad disk.

Note that when you do a factory reset via the boot menu the system will run a few checks then wait 10 minutes before proceeding to wipe the disks. When you did the factory reset did you see what happened after the 10 minute countdown expired?

Message 2 of 7
awahl101
Aspirant

yes it would show up saying booting etc, I tried a factory reset yesterday again and watched in raidar, it went to building volume etc then rebooted and then nothing really, I can hit the login page and go to login then it sits there.   the disks are original and had only a few bad sectors.  I guess I could remove all the drives and try an os rebuild on a known working drive.

I cycled after I couldnt get to the admin page to look at anything and it goes back to flashing blue and says just booting in raidar.

Could simply one bad disk be doing this?  Does it load the OS on all the disks or simply one disk?.

Message 3 of 7
awahl101
Aspirant

also it was 6.5.1 not 6.5.2

Message 4 of 7
awahl101
Aspirant

thanks for the help, it is one of the disks or possibly all, I threw my ssd in there and rebuilt the os and it was fine and even updated to 6.6.x.   looks like I will need to invest in some more drives soon as my synology is getting low on room.

suprised one of the disks just didnt drop out of the array and continue running

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@awahl101 wrote:

suprised one of the disks just didnt drop out of the array and continue running

Usually that is exactly whjat happens, but it is possible for a failed disk to lock up the OS.

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The OS is installed onto the disks. We use RAID for the OS volume so if disks fail the logs stored on the OS volume hopefully aren't lost.

Disks can fail in different ways. Sometimes this can prevent booting from completing.

It is possible that the problem could have been something else.

Have you checked the health of your disks e.g. using SeaTools for SeaGate disks and WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for WD disks?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements