× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 214 constantly crashing

MrAuthority
Aspirant

Readynas 214 constantly crashing

Howdy, 

I have had this unit for about a year now. I have 3 disks installed totaling 10 TB of storage. Between data and snapshots, it's at about 70% capacity.

I will go through my files about once a month and delete anything that is no longer current to keep things tidy and to keep the size under control. I am having issues that any time I delete a larger file of 50gb or larger, the unit locks up and I am no longer able to access the admin page. I am still able to ping it across the network, but that is all.

It does have the latest firmware.

I am growing tired of having to drive out to the remote site where it is located (for off-site backup) and unplug the box and plug it back in to get it to come back to life. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve its attitude on life would be appreciated. 

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 214 constantly crashing

Start by downloading the logs and looking at the SMART information.  It's in more than one log - disk_info.log is one that has it.

• Are you using the scheduled maintenance functions (disk test, scrub, balance, and defrag)?
  • What firmware are you running?
  • How are you accessing the NAS remotely?
  • Are you deleting files from the web admin ui, or some other way?
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements