× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 314 additional disk not being added to Raid array

twang103
Aspirant

Readynas 314 additional disk not being added to Raid array

Hi, 

I have a ReadyNAS 314 which has 3x 6TB drives currently in XRaid. 
I am trying to add another 6TB drive into the 4th slot to expand the array, but it will not add to the array. 
It sometimes shows up as grey (with a green staus light) in the volumes page, and sometimes red (with a green status light). 

I have tried formatting it, restarting the NAS, reinserting the drive, but cant seem to get it to add to the array. 
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 314 additional disk not being added to Raid array

@twang103 wrote:

I am trying to add another 6TB drive into the 4th slot to expand the array, but it will not add to the array. 

What model drive?  

@twang103 wrote:

I have tried formatting it, restarting the NAS, reinserting the drive, but cant seem to get it to add to the array. 

Did you format it in the NAS?

Are you running XRAID?

Message 2 of 4
twang103
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB,

All 4 of the 6TB drives are WD Reds.

I initially formatted the drive in the NAS, and it would not join the array, I then also formatted the drive (left it 100% unallocated) in windows. This also didnt fix the problem.

Yes, I am running XRaid. I had just done a fresh install, and initially installed 2 drives, waited for them to sync, then added the third drive, which synced fine, but this last drive does not want to get added.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@twang103 wrote:

All 4 of the 6TB drives are WD Reds.

Hopefully these drives are WD60EFRX, and not WD60EFAX. If they are WD60EFAX, then I strongly recommend exchanging them for WD60EFRX (which are now branded as WD Red plus).

WD got quite a bit of customer backlash a while ago when they started replacing WD Red models with SMR technology. Eventually, WD decided to rebrand - all the current WD Red models are SMR, and the CMR drives are now Red Plus.  SMR drives don't work well with ReadyNAS, other posters here have had trouble with them.

Personally I test my drives in a Windows PC (using lifeguard for WD disks) before putting them into the NAS.  So that would be a useful next step.  You could also try doing a factory default from the boot menu, with only that drive installed in slot 1, and then see if it boots up.

FWIW, it is much faster to do a fresh install with all drives in place.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements