× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 314 will not appear under Network in Windows 7 explorer only appears under Storage

Space-Fire
Aspirant

Readynas 314 will not appear under Network in Windows 7 explorer only appears under Storage

Readynas 314 will not appear under Network in Windows 7 explorer only appears under Storage.

I have tried the \\nasname\sharename approach (not sure if caps make any difference) and I get asked to login but giving the correct details results in a fail to connect.

My PC is connected to my Apple Airport Extreme network via an extended Airport express (newest kind as of 2015) via ethernet. I suspect router settings but I have no idea how.

I have not set a LUN yet (im not sure what that is really) but I have made an account with admin access privileges but logging in with this in windows exsplorer is a no go.

Please can you help.

Thanks,

SF

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Space-Fire
Aspirant

Re: Readynas 314 will not appear under Network in Windows 7 explorer only appears under Storage

Ok so for the benifit of others and to assist this community, here is the solution (and a link with many other fixes for this problem)

I take no credit for this I'm only reposting it to be of help to others.

By: cam_joo Thursday, February 05, 2015 4:39 AM

Anyone setting up a NAS for the first time might have the same problem that I found myself with. Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks has to be installed on one the network connections. It will be installed to all network connections automatically.

To make sure you have these items installed Open Network and Sharing Center. Select Change Adaptor Settings. Right click Properties on the network connection you are using. On the Networking tab there should be a list of items installed to the network connection.

If Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks are missing from the list, click install and install them. One is in Client and one is in Service I think.

Once the items are installed you should see the NAS. You might need to reboot.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/17c9ea7d-52df-4ef9-95fa-0a961d11bfa3/fix-f...

Thank you all for the help.

SF

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
Space-Fire
Aspirant

Re: Readynas 314 will not appear under Network in Windows 7 explorer only appears under Storage

I should add that the reason I need direct network acess NOT web acess to the drive is I need to save a file larger then the size of my system disk (a disk image file from a second drive) to my NAS.

Otherwise I would just upload the file from my desktop.

Thanks,

JJ

Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried connecting via I.P. rather than via the hostname?

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

NAS discovery (e.g., identfying the NAS and putting it in the right place on the windows left pane) is often problematic - and I know of no sure-fire fix.

However, SMB/CIFS access should be working anyway.  Generally you don't want to have a share name on the NAS with the same name as one of your Windows PCs,  If you've created a NAS account, you can add a credential with that account for the NAS in the Windows Credential Manager.

Try this:

Open CMD on windows

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nasipaddress\data /user=admin password

and see if that maps the data volume on the NAS to drive letter T on the PC.

Message 4 of 13
Space-Fire
Aspirant

Yes I have attempted this method in windows explorer //ip
And it asked for authentication but upon providing the correct details both admin and accounts that I know to work all attempts failed.

Failed to connect, there may be a faulty device in your network. Or something like that.. I can try again if the details of the error would be helpful.

I shall try the open command method...
Message 5 of 13
Space-Fire
Aspirant

So...

net use * /delete

There are no entries in the list. (unless the star was supposed to stand for some other letter)

net use t: \\actual.ip.address\data /user=admin password

The option /user=admin is unknown

Okay so I know the italics need to be replaced with the actual data, but I can't tell if there is supposed to be a space before the password but I have tried it both ways and received the same error.

I am getting the Windows 7 CMD syntax wrong but I'm not sure how as I've not much experience with command on windows. Apologies in advance if I'm being dense. Could someone get me through this?
Message 6 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try this instead (replace password with the actual password):

net use t: \\nasipaddress\data /user:admin password

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Space-Fire wrote:
So...

net use * /delete

There are no entries in the list. (unless the star was supposed to stand for some other letter)

That is ok (and it was supposed to be a *).  It's purpose is to remove any connections to the NAS that might use different (conflicting) credentials.

@Space-Fire wrote:
So...

The option /user=admin is unknown

My bad.  It should have been /user:admin

The password following is replaced with the actual NAS admin password.

Message 8 of 13
Space-Fire
Aspirant

Ok so now I have-

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

I have tried everything I can think of I just know this is something really obvious but it's driving me crazy.
Message 9 of 13
Space-Fire
Aspirant

It's weird but I literally can't get anything to show up on my network and I've got two fully functional ethernet cards in my PC I reinstalled the drivers for both and check the functionality using the Internet and are both completely functional!

Something a little odd I have noticed is that under the network drop down in Windows Explorer is listed my own PC, clicking on it brings up a red warning sign saying that it is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource, I don't know if this is relevant.

Message 10 of 13
Space-Fire
Aspirant

Anyone got a clue how to hook this up? I really didn't think it would be so hard
Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

It shouldn't be this hard.

Perhaps check that the NAS and the PC are in the same workgroup.

If they are, then I'd contact support (support.netgear.com).

Message 12 of 13
Space-Fire
Aspirant

Ok so for the benifit of others and to assist this community, here is the solution (and a link with many other fixes for this problem)

I take no credit for this I'm only reposting it to be of help to others.

By: cam_joo Thursday, February 05, 2015 4:39 AM

Anyone setting up a NAS for the first time might have the same problem that I found myself with. Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks has to be installed on one the network connections. It will be installed to all network connections automatically.

To make sure you have these items installed Open Network and Sharing Center. Select Change Adaptor Settings. Right click Properties on the network connection you are using. On the Networking tab there should be a list of items installed to the network connection.

If Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks are missing from the list, click install and install them. One is in Client and one is in Service I think.

Once the items are installed you should see the NAS. You might need to reboot.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/17c9ea7d-52df-4ef9-95fa-0a961d11bfa3/fix-f...

Thank you all for the help.

SF

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements