× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Backups

Readynas Backups

I am having issues with files being backed up from my windows 2019 server to a ReadyNAS 316.

Nothing shows up in the log and only some files seam to be the issue.  In the example below I am showing JPG files that have a zero file size once they are copied from the server to the NAS.

Firmware version is 6.10.5 hotfix 1

Screenshot 2021-08-17 123119.jpg

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 32
StephenB
Guru

Can you copy one of them manually, does that transfer ok?

How are you backing up the files?   A NAS backup job, or some other way?  

If a NAS backup job is being used, what is the backup protocol?

Message 2 of 32

Copying from the server to the NAS work fine.  I have been using a software call beyond comapre to reconcile the files that are not baking up correctly.  The back job is using the built in backup utility on the Readynas using the windows timestamp.

Message 3 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

The back job is using the built in backup utility on the Readynas using the windows timestamp.

You reported this a couple months ago, but we never isolated the root cause.

Personally I use backup tools on the PCs that have the NAS as a destination, and don't use the backup utility for this.  I do use backup jobs for NAS-NAS, and they use rsync.

Message 4 of 32

I've never had an issue with this in over 15 years of using Readynas products.

Message 5 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

I've never had an issue with this in over 15 years of using Readynas products.

I get that.  But you've been seeing it for several months now, and none of us know why.  It seems to me you need to try something different.

You could try rolling back firmware to a version that were using before the problem started last April.  If you are current, then

• 6.10.5 was released in May (too late to be the cause, even if you were running the beta)
  • 6.10.4 was released in Dec 2020, so that's a possible cause.

So you could try downgrading to 6.10.3, and see if that helps.

Message 6 of 32

I have tried to roll back all the way to 6.10.3.  nothing changed.

Message 7 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

I have tried to roll back all the way to 6.10.3.  nothing changed.

Good to know.  That was released in Feb. 2020.  Do you have a good handle on when this problem started?

Message 8 of 32

Not really.  I noticed it early 2020.

Message 9 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

Not really.  I noticed it early 2020.

You could try 6.10.1, which was released in May 2019.  Netgear says not to downgrade below the major release level (so 6.10.0 in this case).

Message 10 of 32

I am digging a little deaper before downgrading the firmware.  I have over 25Tb of data on there and I need to make sure everything is backed up just incase.

While I am backing stuff up to other divices I created some smaller backup jobs that I can run multipule times to see what settings effect if the Zero file size comes back.

So far I have seen the inital full backup that removes the contences of the desination folder will create the Zero file size files.  After running an incramental backup all of the zero file size files are copied correctly.  Then I would do a 3rd backup that is a full backup again with the setting to "remove contense of the backup destination before full backup".  All of the same Zero file size files would return.

The left side if the source and the Right side is the destination.  Each of the screen shots were taken right after each of the backup jobs were complete.

Screenshot 2021-08-26 1st.pngScreenshot 2021-08-26 2nd.pngScreenshot 2021-08-26 3rd.png

Message 11 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

So far I have seen the inital full backup that removes the contences of the desination folder will create the Zero file size files.  After running an incramental backup all of the zero file size files are copied correctly.  Then I would do a 3rd backup that is a full backup again with the setting to "remove contense of the backup destination before full backup".  All of the same Zero file size files would return.

Interesting.  Do you need that "remove contents" option?

Message 12 of 32

@StephenB wrote:

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

Interesting.  Do you need that "remove contents" option?

Yes,  The option cleans up files that have been renamed or moved.  I usally have it set to do a full backup every 4 weeks.  

Message 13 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

Yes,  The option cleans up files that have been renamed or moved.  I usally have it set to do a full backup every 4 weeks.  

Rsync has the option to delete files that are no longer on the source. There are some third-party rsync servers for Windows, so you could maybe install one of those, and see if you can switch to rsync and not use smb.  

But I am wondering what happens if you manually delete the backup contents, and then run the normal incremental backup.  Does that also give you the 0-length files?

It is curious that you never see them after the incremental backup - I'm not certain that is 100% true, it might just be because the incremental backups aren't copying as much stuff.

Message 14 of 32

I have tried manually deleting the contents of the destination and I get the same results every time I do a full backup with the "delete contents" option enabled. I have even created a new share and copied about 200Mb of data do it to do some testing. The incremental backups will always replace the Zero file site files and any other files I update on the Source location.

Message 15 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

I have tried manually deleting the contents of the destination and I get the same results every time I do a full backup with the "delete contents" option enabled. 

But happens if you manually delete everything in the destination folder, and then run the incremental backup???  Are you saying you get the same result (zero-length files)?  Not clear from your response.

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

The incremental backups will always replace the Zero file site files and any other files I update on the Source location.

Ok, so there is a potential workaround, which is to immediately run an incremental "cleanup" backup after every regular backup.  Schedule one job that does a full backup (deleting contents) once a month - say at 0100, and then schedule a second job at 0200 that is always incremental.  If the regular job is still running, the cleanup job will be queued until the first job finishes.

Message 16 of 32

@StephenB wrote:

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

I have tried manually deleting the contents of the destination and I get the same results every time I do a full backup with the "delete contents" option enabled. 

But happens if you manually delete everything in the destination folder, and then run the incremental backup???  Are you saying you get the same result (zero-length files)?  Not clear from your response.

Sorry, Yes I get the same Zero file size files.  Not alwasy the same files, but it looks like PDF's, JPG's, and DOCX files are the most commen.

I will try the Full backup & Incremental backup as two diffrent jobs and see if I get better results.

Thanks.

Message 17 of 32

I have downgraded to FM: 6.10.1.  Now at at least get backup errors when the zero file site files are created.

I get this message at the bottom of the log, but I don't see any indications of why it failed.  If I re-run the job as an incremental job I don't get the error.

Full backup with "Delete contenct" option

Backup Job Type: Full
Protocol: cifs-ab

Backup Start Time: Mon Aug 30 2021 2:47:01 PM
Backup Finish Time: Mon Aug 30 2021 3:04:17 PM
Backup Status: Fail: Failure during copy.

Inceremental backup

Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: cifs-ab

Backup Start Time: Mon Aug 30 2021 3:37:07 PM
Backup Finish Time: Mon Aug 30 2021 3:37:44 PM
Backup Status: Success

Message 18 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

I get this message at the bottom of the log, but I don't see any indications of why it failed.  If I re-run the job as an incremental job I don't get the error.

Have you looked in system.log?  Maybe also smbd.log.

Message 19 of 32

Not sure what any of this means from the System.log file.

Aug 30 08:28:39 xxxx dbus[3231]: [system] Activating service name='org.opensuse.Snapper' (using servicehelper)
Aug 30 08:28:39 xxxx dbus[3231]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.opensuse.Snapper'
Aug 30 08:28:41 xxxx snapperd[29722]: loading 7815 failed
Aug 30 08:28:41 xxxx snapperd[29722]: loading 11346 failed
Aug 30 08:28:42 xxxx snapperd[29722]: loading 7225 failed
Aug 30 08:28:42 xxxx snapperd[29722]: loading 10756 failed
Aug 30 08:29:50 xxxx smbd[31758]: [2021/08/30 08:29:50.890744, 0] ../lib/param/loadparm.c:784(lpcfg_map_parameter)
Aug 30 08:29:50 xxxx smbd[31758]: Unknown parameter encountered: "smb signing"

Here was what shows up in the SMBD.log file repeditly.

[2021/08/30 09:05:06.148989, 0] ../lib/param/loadparm.c:1811(lpcfg_do_global_parameter)
Ignoring unknown parameter "smb signing"

Message 20 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

Here was what shows up in the SMBD.log file repeditly.

[2021/08/30 09:05:06.148989, 0] ../lib/param/loadparm.c:1811(lpcfg_do_global_parameter)
Ignoring unknown parameter "smb signing"

Is it possible that someone modified the samba configuration on the NAS?  There is no parameter called "smb signing" in samba (there are are a couple of parameters related to signing, but they are not called that).

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

Aug 30 08:28:39 xxxx dbus[3231]: [system] Activating service name='org.opensuse.Snapper' (using servicehelper)
Aug 30 08:28:39 xxxx dbus[3231]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.opensuse.Snapper'
Aug 30 08:28:41 xxxx snapperd[29722]: loading 7815 failed
Aug 30 08:28:41 xxxx snapperd[29722]: loading 11346 failed
Aug 30 08:28:42 xxxx snapperd[29722]: loading 7225 failed
Aug 30 08:28:42 xxxx snapperd[29722]: loading 10756 failed

Snapper manages the system snapshot feature, and (as you might expect) the error is that some snapshots the system thinks exist cannot be loaded.  A BTRFS scrub might clean this up (not sure). It would take a while to run (generally days), and it shouldn't be related to your problem.

BTW, do you have snapshots enabled on the NAS share used for the backup?

Message 21 of 32
Sandshark
Sensei

/lib/param/loadparm.c is part of the source code for SAMBA.  Do you know how that got to be on your NAS?  It's not standard. 

Message 22 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

/lib/param/loadparm.c is part of the source code for SAMBA.  Do you know how that got to be on your NAS?  It's not standard. 

It looks like it's just a C assertion being logged - which do include the source file and line number.    No reason to think that loadparam.c is on the NAS.

Message 23 of 32

No idea.  there are not add-in loaded and I have never inabled root access to the device.

Looks like the factory reset may be needed to fix underlyning issues.

Message 24 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Jeff_Howard_sps wrote:

Looks like the factory reset may be needed to fix underlyning issues.

You could try disabling and then re-enabling SMB first.  It is a long shot, but is easy to do.

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements