× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Duo 3TB owned

Kimomac
Aspirant

Readynas Duo 3TB owned

Hello!

I don't know if that's the right place to post this message but my problem is I got sold a ReadyNas Duo & two 3TB Caviar Green 64mb, and can't return any of those... 😞

I just figured those drives were not compatible after research on these forums, and concluded I should not hope for >2TB support (sparc..etc)

Problem is, those drives show up as 742 Go drives in Frontview, not even one third of their capacity...

Is there a way I could make the ReadyNas see them as 2tb drives instead, at least using those 2TB (even loosing the 1TB left...) ???

Please help, thanks in advance
Message 1 of 5
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Readynas Duo 3TB owned

That is not good. I am surprised the vendor won't let you return either the Duo or the drives.

What is the make and model of the drives?

What version of RAIDiator are you running? (It will show up on the home page of Frontview and in the far right hand column of RAIDar.)
Message 2 of 5
TeknoJnky
Hero

Kimomac wrote:
Problem is, those drives show up as 742 Go drives in Frontview, not even one third of their capacity...

this is because of how the heads/cylinders/sectors are arranged

Is there a way I could make the ReadyNas see them as 2tb drives instead, at least using those 2TB (even loosing the 1TB left...) ???

the only possible way would be if there is a jumper that changes how the drive uses the heads/cylinders/sectors.

otherwise, I would highly recommend you return or sell the duo and get an x86 device (ultra/+/pro), or sell/return the 3tb drives and get 2tb drives.

do not waste your time trying to get the 3tb drives working with the duo.
Message 3 of 5
Kimomac
Aspirant

Thank you TeknoJnky.

I will try to sell my RDN Duo on ebay.

Which specific replacement would you recommend? I see there are ReadyNas Ultra 2, Ultra 4, Ultra 6... Is the Ultra 2 x86 based?

I'm on budget, so I'd like the cheapest solution possible to take advantage of my two 3TB WD drives...

Thanks you very much in advance
Message 4 of 5
TeknoJnky
Hero

yes all the ultra's are x86 based and support 3tb drives.

I would assume the ultra 2 would be the cheapest, but if if you can swing it I would recommend the ultra 4, this will give you even better expansion options for the future, with the 4 bays.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements